Vitals cannot verify whether or not this professional is currently practicing. We recommend that you attempt to contact the provider to verify their status. Please email us at email@example.com if you have any additional information.
Get the facts about Alzheimer’s Disease, including the symptoms and stages.
- Bipolar Disorder Facts about bipolar disorder, including different types and symptoms.
- Adult ADHD Facts about attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD) in adults.
- Alzheimer's Disease Facts about Alzheimer’s Disease, including the symptoms and stages.
- Autism Spectrum Disorder Get the facts about Autism Spectrum Disorder (ASD).
- Chronic Pain Facts about chronic pain, including body parts most commonly affected.
- Clinical Depression Clinical depression facts; symptoms & other depressive disorders.
- Depression Facts about depression, including the symptoms of the condition.
- Diabetic Neuropathy Facts about diabetic neuropathy, including the symptoms and doctors.
- Epilepsy Facts about epilepsy, including different types, symptoms and causes.
- Erectile Dysfunction Facts about erectile dysfunction (ED), including causes.
- View All Care Guides Prepare for your next visit with our extensive library of Care Guides
About Dr. James Cowan Jr
Dr. James Cowan Jr, MD is a Doctor primarily located in Ridgewood, NJ. He has 43 years of experience. His specialties include Psychiatry and Neurology. Dr. Cowan is affiliated with St. James Hospital Cathedral, Cathedral Healthcare System-St Michael's and Saint Michael's Medical Center. He speaks English.
Dr. James Cowan Jr has the following 2 specialties
A psychiatrist is a doctor with specific training in the diagnosis and treatment of mental illness.
He or she can not only provide the counseling necessary to both diagnose and treat a patient, but can also prescribe medication when needed. In some cases, a psychiatrist will only provide the medication and the counseling will be provided by another healthcare specialist, like a certified counselor or psychologist.
Like other doctors, psychiatrists employ diagnostic tools like CT scans and MRI in order to observe the structure and function of a patient's brain.
Once a diagnosis is made, these specialists may use behavior or cognitive therapy in order to address the patient's condition, or a multitude of other types of therapy, in conjunction with or in place of medication.
A neurologist is a physician who diagnoses and treats disorders of the nervous system which is comprised of the brain, spinal cord and nerves. These doctors do not perform surgery, but refer patients to neurological surgeons when they determine that surgical intervention is necessary.
Some of the conditions that neurologists diagnose and treat are epilepsy, aneurysms, hydrocephalus, Parkinson's disease, multiple sclerosis, stroke, spinal disc herniation, and spinal disease.
In addition to using diagnostic tests like MRI, CT scans, EEG and EMG, neurologists also employ neurological testing to gauge muscle strength and movement, balance, reflexes, sensation, memory, speech, and other cognitive abilities.
- Attention Deficit Disorder (ADD) / Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD)
- Bipolar Disorder / Manic Depressive Disorder
- Depressive Disorder
- Forensic Psychiatry
- Sleep Disorders
Showing 5 of 7
This doctor is prescribing LARGE amounts of drugs (much more than ANY human should be prescribed) to my family member and friends. He doesnt care about his patients, he would rather get them hooked on pills so they keep returning. I now have a family member who won't do anything but sleep and can't manage to function anymore. PLEASE DO NOT SEE THIS DOCTOR! It is not worth your life!
It was very difficult to get in touch with the office for much needed follow-ups and refills on medications. The doctor no longer accepts any insurance.I was not told that the doctor did not accept my insurance and was allowed to keep coming in, building a huge bill without my knowledge. It was only when I called a year later to ask doctor Cowan to send my medical records to my primary that I was told of a very large debt that if I did not pay, the doctor would not give me my medical records. This is illegal, and I have had to seek legal council. Do yourself a favor and seek out a doctor who cares enough about his/her patients to follow up on how they are doing, and to tell them if there is a change in the status of their insurance coverage.
Dr. Cowan is affiliated (can practice and admit patients) with the following hospital(s).
St. James Hospital Cathedral
Cathedral Healthcare System-St Michael's
Saint Michael's Medical Center
East Orange General Hospital
43 Years Experience
Meharry Medical College
Graduated in 1970
Harlem Hospital Center
Dr. James Cowan Jr accepts the following insurance providers.
- View by Location
Locations & DirectionsJames R Cowan Jr MD, 572 W Saddle River Rd, Ridgewood, NJ
Dr. James Cowan Jr is similar to the following 3 Doctors near Ridgewood, NJ.