Type 2 Diabetes
Type 2 diabetes is a chronic disease in which your body is unable to maintain a normal blood sugar (glucose) level.
- Birth Control Facts about birth control to help decide which type is right for you.
- Type 2 Diabetes Basic facts about type 2 diabetes & risk factors to be aware of.
- Binge Eating Disorder Facts about binge eating disorder, including symptoms and causes.
- Bowel Incontinence Facts about bowel incontinence, including causes & who's most at risk.
- COPD Get the facts about chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD), including symptoms and complications.
- Chronic Idiopathic Constipation Learn about chronic idiopathic constipation, including treatment
- Colonoscopy Facts about colonoscopy, including how and why it's done.
- Colorectal Cancer Facts about Colorectal cancer, including symptoms and treatment options
- Crohn's Disease Facts about Crohn’s Disease, including how it affects the body.
- Diabetic Macular Edema Facts about diabetic macular edema, including the different types.
- View All Care Guides Prepare for your next visit with our extensive library of Care Guides
About Dr. James S Gibbs
Dr. James S Gibbs, MD is a Doctor primarily located in Winston Salem, NC. He has 51 years of experience. His specialties include Gastroenterology and Internal Medicine. Dr. Gibbs is affiliated with Novant Health Thomasville Medical Center and Novant Health Medical Park Hospital. Dr. Gibbs has received 3 awards. He speaks English.
Dr. James S Gibbs has the following 2 specialties
A gastroenterologist is a specialist in diagnosis and treatment of conditions involving the digestive/gastrointestinal (GI) tract. These doctors are experts on how food moves through the digestive system and is chemically broken down, with nutrients being absorbed and waste excreted. You might see this kind of doctor if you are experiencing any number of stomach issues, some of which might be severe diarrhea, irritable bowel syndrome, hemorrhoids, ulcers, acid reflux, Crohn's disease and more.
- Internal Medicine
An internist is a physician who focuses on the diagnosis and treatment of conditions that affect the adult population—both acute and chronic.
These doctors are often who adults see as their primary physicians because they treat a broad range of illnesses that do not require surgical or specialist interventions. They also work to help a patient maintain optimal health in order to prevent the onset of disease.
In addition to treating the common cold and flu, internists also treat chronic diseases like diabetes and heart disease.
Dr. James S Gibbs has the following 38 expertise
- Rectal Cancer
- Liver Diseases
- Colon Tumor (Adenomatous Polyps)
- Liver Cirrhosis
- Digestive Signs and Symptoms
- Digestive System Abnormalities
- Gastrointestinal Endoscopy
- Acid Reflux Disease (GERD)
- Colon Diseases (Sigmoid Diseases)
- Crohn's Disease
- Biliary Tract Diseases
- Hepatitis C
- Digestive System Endoscopy (EGD)
- Capsule Endoscopy
- Acid Reflux Disease (Gastroesophageal Reflux / GERD)
- Inflammatory Bowel Diseases (IBD)
- Clostridium Infections
- Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS)
- Digestive System Diseases
- Colon Cancer
- Gastrointestinal Diseases (GI Diseases)
- Abdominal Pain
- Colonic Polyps
- Barrett Esophagus
- Colon Diverticulum
- Acute Abdominal Pain
- Colon Cancer (Sigmoid Neoplasms)
- Chronic Pancreatitis
- Celiac Disease
- Percutaneous Endoscopic Gastrostomy (PEG)
Showing 5 of 6
NCQA Patient-Centered Specialty Practice
NCQA-architect of America's most popular patient-centered medical home model-has extended medical home concepts to specialists: NCQA Patient-Centered Specialty Practice Recognition. Now, specialty practices committed to access, communication and care coordination can earn accolades as the "neighbors" that surround and inform the medical home and colleagues in primary care.
Patients' Choice Award (2012)
Patients' Choice recognition reflects the difference a particular physician has made in the lives of his/her patients. The honor is bestowed to physicians who have received near perfect scores, as voted by patients.
Bridges to Excellence: Physician Office Systems Recognition Program
This program is designed to recognize practices that use information systems to enhance the quality of patient care. To obtain Recognition, practices must demonstrate that they have implemented systematic office processes to reduce errors and increase quality.
Dr. Gibbs is affiliated (can practice and admit patients) with the following hospital(s).
51 Years Experience
Virginia Commonwealth University School Of Medicine
Graduated in 1967
Medical College Of Virginia Hospital
Dr. James S Gibbs accepts the following insurance providers.
BCBS North Carolina
- BCBS NC Blue Value
- BCBS NC BlueOptions
- CIGNA HMO
- CIGNA Open Access Plus
- CIGNA PPO
Coventry Health Care
- Coventry Carelink - Carolinas HealthCare System Tier 2
- First Health PPO
- Humana Choice POS
- Humana ChoiceCare Network PPO
- Humana North Carolina PPOx
- Multiplan PPO
- PHCS PPO
- UHC Choice Plus POS
- UHC Navigate HMO
- UHC Navigate POS
- UHC Options PPO
Locations & DirectionsSalem Gastroenterology Associates PA, 1830 S Hawthorne Rd, Winston Salem, NC
Take a minute to learn about Dr. James S Gibbs in this video.
Dr. James S Gibbs is similar to the following 3 Doctors near Winston Salem, NC.