Dr. James Schader Is this you?

3.8

Have you seen Dr. James Schader?

Changed Drastically

Posted on July 22nd, 2017

I absolutely cannot recomended Dr. Schader. I left a previous 5 star review defending Dr. Schader from other negative reviews, but based on changes that have occured, I can no longer justify such glowing reviews. I started seeing Dr. Schader for a lumbar disc injury. Everything was going well as I tried every option the MCO would approve for treatment, which was essentially nothing. Eventually after several dead ends, I was referred to OHSU by Dr. Schader, to get the comprehensive specialized help I needed from their vast departments which could provide more options and expertise for treatment; however, while trying to get MCO approval to OHSU, Dr. Schader caved to pressures from the work comp carrier claims adjuster to make me medically stationary, even though I was not better, so the insurance company could close my claim. Dr. Schader reversed that request for approval to OHSU; then declared me medically stationary, and sent me in for physical evaluations to rate my physical capacity. Well when the insurance company saw my physical capacity from my untreated injury, and that I wasn't physically able to do retraining plus the restrictions he gave me based on my ability in the physical capacity evaluation. The insurance adjuster called up Dr. Schader putting pressure on him.They use the carrot and the stick. So after 3 months of being declared medically stationary, he caved in to the work comp insurance pressure, and brought me back in on a bogus reason, made up just to give the insurance carrier authority to order a new MRI and new ex ray's, to use in the 4 IMEs that the the insurance company claimed he wanted. He then used the IMEs wich provided no additional facts or even medical facts, to change my work restrictions beyond my physical ability. They pressured him to declare me medically stationary before reviving any treatments to help; then pressured him to help them make sure they could remove any compensable liability through the deceitful manipulation of the comp insurance companies carefully selected IME doctors who aren't objective, and some flat out dishonest. The medical facts obtained prove my disc was crushed, is building, is fully disrupted, and a serious pain generator, as the protruding disc abuts the neural foreman. Though the IMEs didn't provide any facts proving otherwise, Dr. Schader changed my work restrictions beyond my physical ability, which allowed the comp insurance carrier the default ability to take away the benefits of job retraining, since I'm not physically able to do retraining. So in the event I do recover enough to retrain, I have lost that benefit too. Dr. Shader fell to the insurance pressure to make me medically stationary, even though treatments could be done to help; then when the insurance carrier told Dr. Schader my physical ability would by default make me eligible for full disability, because their retraining specialist said I'm not physically able to do any type of job under those restrictions. Dr. Schader helped the work comp insurance carrier dishonestly manipulate the situation to their favor. Though I never asked of even implied such a thing, Dr.Schader out of nowhere, defensive and almost upset, said "I'm not going to put you on full disability". Now I'm 8 month's without income, unable to sit stand or walk, for any meaningful length of time, I can't hardly lift anything or do anything, and I even need help with personal care. Because I'm not physically able to retrain, the insurance carrier has taken away my right to retraining. I've been paying out of pocket for medical care, because Dr. Schader declared me medically stationary, yet every specialty provider I've seen from pain management to surgeons, says I need more treatments, even spinal fusion. I scheduled an appointment with Dr. Schaders office telling them a surgeon recomended surgery, and I had an appointment with an on panel surgeon to verify the recommendations, so I could move forward with surgery when the recommendations were given to Dr. Schader. The receptionist called me the day before my appointment with Dr. Schader, and the receptionists says she canceled the appointment, that Dr. Schader said see the on panel surgeon first. Then I call back to schedule a new appointment, and she says Dr. Schader no longer be my attending physician. Which if thats true means I cant even get my claim reopened to get the treatments I need to get back to work. I've done nothing but be cooperative, polite and tried to seek treatment so I could get better and go back to work. I've even been cooperative and polite in situations many people would deem hostile. Dr. Schader was great in the beginning trying to get me the help needed to get better, but it appears the insurance company and MCO changed him with pressure and manipulation. Dr. Schader has used his position as a medical provider in the workers comp system, to essentially make sure I will never be able to get treatment, as providers in the system have told me, they do not take on patients in the system, that try to find a new attending physicians after treating with another for so long. I can't get the surgery, the on panel spinal surgeon says is medically necessary, without an attending physician, and I can't get a new attending physician, because the way the on panel providers are allowed to operate. As a result I have no option but share the facts demonstrating Dr. Schader made unwise and unethical medical decisions, based on the desires of a work comp insurance company claims adjuster, and not for the ethical medical treatment of a patient. I wish their was some misunderstanding, and his receptionists who told me he will no longer be my attending physician was mistaken, so the obvious mistakes he made as a physician could be corrected; however, at this point, the documented evidence of the facts supporting this review is staggering. At this time I absolutely cannot recomend Dr. Schader as a physician based on ethical, and other questions regarding his reasoning, wisdom and prudence as a medical provider. If something changes, and Dr. Schader is willing to provide necessary medical care that otherwise changes the outcome of treating with him as a patient, I will change this review to reflect the new information.

Positive

Posted on November 4th, 2016

Dr. Schader is an exceptional surgeon. My overall experience with him and his staff was excellent.

Posted on May 16th, 2016

I found that Dr Schader didn't jump into recommending surgery right away, but took a more conservative approach which I appreciate.

Posted on October 28th, 2015

He is a wonderful Dr.

Honest hard working doctor

Posted on September 3rd, 2015

I have been treating with Dr Schader for about 9 months. He is an honest and hard working man from everything I could gather. My injury was workers comp related and despite the pressure from the insurance company, he fairly and honestly looked out for my injury, and is helping me to make a transition to a specialist who can do ongoing care for herniated disc with spinal stenosis. I took the time to read other reviews on hear, because I wanted to know what experiences others had treating with Dr Schader. After reading the reviews and facts mentioned, I can't help but comment and bring a few facts to light. I've had four knee surgeries two on each knee, and four on my wrist from various doctors, some doctors better than otherst, some exceptional. There is always post operative pain with any deep tissue joint surgery, and sometimes it can linger for years. It's just what happens when you cut into deep tissue like joints and especially when hardware is added like staples or screws. Another thing to realize about surgery and having deep wounds from operations, is infection can come from anywhere. Surgeons always use antibiotics in conjunction with strict sterilization protocols for pre opp preperations and surgical procedures to help reduce the occurrence of infection from surgery; however, it's only good for the surgical exposer, and will not prevent infection from post opp exsposure or infection introduced at a latter date once the antibiotics wear off. Doctors choose hospitals based on the convenience for the patient, and the necessary equipment to perform the needed treatment; however, they have no controll over the germs that may or may not be present at a hospital despite rigorous protocol to prevent the spread and infection of known or unknown pathogens. Germs are everywhere its part of life, we all have to do are part post opp, and keep our wound and environment clean. As far as the hospitol, they all follow the same protocal for germ control and sanitation regulated by the state bord and the CDC. With that being said, I would recommend Dr Schader to family or friends, and would seek treatment from him again if it was in his field of expertise. He seems to be an intelligent, down to earth, hard working doctor, who is honest, has a good bedside manor, and genuinely wants to help you get better. Thank for reading!

Posted on January 24th, 2014

I am so deeply grateful for Dr. Schader's knowledge and experience. He is a wonderful doctor and I highly recommend him. I had shoulder surgery in 2013 and Dr. Schader has been very supportive. He has a calm and confident bedside manner and returns my phone when I have called with a question. His office staff are also friendly and helpful.

Post-Op staph infection

Posted on May 4th, 2012

During a surgery to remove a plate and screws I received a staph infection. This infection caused much additional cost as well as major discomfort.It sure seems strange to charge for mistakes. The surgery was at a very low rated hospital. Legacy Meridian Park.Frankly I don't know if it is the dostors fault or the hospitals. What I do know is the doctor picked the hospital also!

Posted on August 18th, 2010

My experience with Dr. Schader has been overwhelmingly positive. His work was excellent and his manner was helpful and not at all condescending.

Keep Looking

Posted on November 4th, 2008

I had very bad luck. Doctor did not want to hear about post surgery problems, and my knee is worse

Posted on October 12th, 2017