Get the facts about attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD) in adults, including the different types and symptoms of each.
- Bipolar Disorder Facts about bipolar disorder, including different types and symptoms.
- Adult ADHD Facts about attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD) in adults.
- Clinical Depression Clinical depression facts; symptoms & other depressive disorders.
- Depression Facts about depression, including the symptoms of the condition.
- Epilepsy Facts about epilepsy, including different types, symptoms and causes.
- Erectile Dysfunction Facts about erectile dysfunction (ED), including causes.
- Schizophrenia Facts about schizophrenia, including the different types.
- Tardive Dyskinesia Facts about Tardive Dyskinesia, including symptoms and treatment
- View All Care Guides Prepare for your next visit with our extensive library of Care Guides
Dr. James T Leonard has the following 1 specialty
A psychiatrist is a doctor with specific training in the diagnosis and treatment of mental illness.
He or she can not only provide the counseling necessary to both diagnose and treat a patient, but can also prescribe medication when needed. In some cases, a psychiatrist will only provide the medication and the counseling will be provided by another healthcare specialist, like a certified counselor or psychologist.
Like other doctors, psychiatrists employ diagnostic tools like CT scans and MRI in order to observe the structure and function of a patient's brain.
Once a diagnosis is made, these specialists may use behavior or cognitive therapy in order to address the patient's condition, or a multitude of other types of therapy, in conjunction with or in place of medication.
- Attention Deficit Disorder (ADD) / Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD)
- Bipolar Disorder / Manic Depressive Disorder
- Sleep Disorders
Showing 5 of 13
As an adhd warrior since the early 70s I am a bit of a connoisseur of doctors. Dr. Leonard was an exceptional psychiatrist. I have never had the pleasure of seeing another doctor with the same academic discipline and passion to actually read the journals and go to various conferences. Every appointment inlcuded a detailed run down on the latest advances in medication and any relevant research news and updates. He was also capable of expressing sincere concern and care for me as a patient without havimg some alterior motive or creepiness. Truly an amazing human being and my favorite psychiatrist. He was able to really encourage me and boost my adhd fractured self-esteem. RIP Dr. Leonard. Thanks for being an incredible human being.
I am very sad to learn of Jim's death. He was a friend through middle school and high school. I went to the senior prom with Jim. We both graduated high school and went on to Indiana University , graduated, and then we we went separate ways and lost touch. The Jim I remember was an intellectual and filled with compassion.
I have often wondered what happened to Dr. Leonard. He was one of the most amazing Psychs I had ever known and he was absolutely brilliant. I went to his memorial years ago but at that time, no one would say cause of death. To this day, YEARS later, it still plagues me as to what happened to the guy. Does anyone know or will it forever be a mystery? Why isn't there anything on his passing? Why so secretive. He was well loved and I could tell this not only by myself but the hordes of people who showed up at his memorial. Everyone agreed he was a doctor with a tremendous amount of compassion and extreme intellect. Well respected all around. I wish I knew the answer...
No kidding... my last office visit with him he went kinda nuts and started telling me about HIS personal problems. I felt so sad for him. He was clearly losing it. Then a week later I had to call in a refill and no one was there. I waited several days (until I began to go into withdrawals) and called around to other shrinks until one told me this. My current shrink also knew about it
36 Years Experience
Graduated in 1982
Dr. James T Leonard accepts the following insurance providers.
- View by Location
Locations & Directions5182 Katella Ave, Los Alamitos, CA
Dr. James T Leonard is similar to the following 3 Doctors near Los Alamitos, CA.