Get the facts about Alzheimer’s Disease, including the symptoms and stages.
- Alzheimer's Disease Facts about Alzheimer’s Disease, including the symptoms and stages.
- Autism Spectrum Disorder Get the facts about Autism Spectrum Disorder (ASD).
- Chronic Pain Facts about chronic pain, including body parts most commonly affected.
- Clinical Depression Clinical depression facts; symptoms & other depressive disorders.
- Depression Facts about depression, including the symptoms of the condition.
- Diabetic Neuropathy Facts about diabetic neuropathy, including the symptoms and doctors.
- Epilepsy Facts about epilepsy, including different types, symptoms and causes.
- Insomnia Facts about insomnia; who gets it and what causes it.
- Lyme Disease Facts about lyme disease; where it’s found and stages of the disease
- Migraine Facts about migraine headaches and different types of migraines.
- View All Care Guides Prepare for your next visit with our extensive library of Care Guides
About Dr. James Wheless
Dr. James Wheless, MD is a Doctor primarily located in Memphis, TN. He has 35 years of experience. His specialties include Child Neurology and Neurology. Dr. Wheless is affiliated with Regional Medical Center at Memphis, Le Bonheur Children's Hospital and St Jude Children's Research Hospital. He speaks English.
Dr. James Wheless has the following 2 specialties
- Child Neurology
Pediatric neurologists diagnose neurological conditions in children as young as newborn, all the way up to adolescence. They can recommend treatment for sleep disorders, head injuries and headaches, but they also specialize in issues such as epilepsy, seizures and brain tumors.
Their expertise in childhood development and the nervous system make them an excellent resource for parents of children with autism, cerebral palsy, mental development issues or learning disabilities. You can consult with a pediatric neurologist before, during and after diagnosis depending on your child's specific condition and needs.
A neurologist is a physician who diagnoses and treats disorders of the nervous system which is comprised of the brain, spinal cord and nerves. These doctors do not perform surgery, but refer patients to neurological surgeons when they determine that surgical intervention is necessary.
Some of the conditions that neurologists diagnose and treat are epilepsy, aneurysms, hydrocephalus, Parkinson's disease, multiple sclerosis, stroke, spinal disc herniation, and spinal disease.
In addition to using diagnostic tests like MRI, CT scans, EEG and EMG, neurologists also employ neurological testing to gauge muscle strength and movement, balance, reflexes, sensation, memory, speech, and other cognitive abilities.
See the board certifications this doctor has received. Board certifications provide confidence that this doctor meets the nationally recognized standards for education, knowledge and experience.
Showing 5 of 14
Our son rock has dravet syndrome and we ran to over a dozen different doctors for 18 months and no other neurologists had a clue what to do,he was having seizures every other day.now since seeing Dr wheless he has at the most 2 seizures a year.it's a 8 hour trip to go see him but well worth it.he is a extremely smart doctor. And is so nice and caring to rock and the parents,and that is hard to find in a doctor..we are blessed to have him as rocks doctor
Dr. Wheless is a world-class expert in pediatric epilepsy. He is as knowledgeable as anyone in his field, yet his manner with patients and parents is very friendly and upbeat. If you are anywhere near Memphis and need a pediatric epileptologist, Dr. Wheless can fill the bill.
Dr. Wheless is the best Ped Neuro, Epileptologist in the U.S.! He and his staff are beyond reproach and become your family while diagnosing and treating your child when no other doctor can. He is a genius that can get on the same level as your child. He has a gift of listening, evaluating and informing. We thank God we found him, he saved our son's life and gave us hope for the future.
Dr. Wheless is affiliated (can practice and admit patients) with the following hospital(s).
Le Bonheur Children's Hospital
St Jude Children's Research Hospital
35 Years Experience
University Of Oklahoma College Of Medicine
Graduated in 1982
Tulsa Medical College
Dr. James Wheless accepts the following insurance providers.
- Aetna Choice POS II
- Aetna HMO
- Aetna Managed Choice POS Open Access
- Aetna Signature Administrators PPO
BCBS Blue Card
- BCBS Blue Card PPO
- BCBS TN Blue Network S
- CIGNA HMO
- CIGNA LocalPlus
- CIGNA Open Access Plus
- CIGNA PPO
- Humana Choice POS
- Humana ChoiceCare Network PPO
- Humana Memphis PPOx
- UHC Navigate HMO
- UHC Options PPO
- View by Location
Locations & DirectionsLE BONHEUR CHILDRENS HOSPITAL, 848 Adams Ave, Memphis, TN
Take a minute to learn about Dr. James Wheless in this video.
Dr. James Wheless is similar to the following 3 Doctors near Memphis, TN.