Have you seen Dr. Jan L Shifren?

Worst Doctor I've Ever Been To. Ruining MGH's reputation. Any other Dr would be better.

The worst Dr I've ever been to in my entire life. She doesn't answer questions, passes everything off, is patronizing, disingenuous, condescending, defensive, arrogant, worst bedside manner, rushes thru appts & wasted 6 months of our time. My husband & I were appalled after we met with her. My husband actually thought it was a joke because it felt like she was literally out of an SNL skit with her fake smile, voice & attitude. Any other ivf Dr would be better than her. She's ruining MGH's reputation.

Dr Shifren is the best!

Dr Shifren is an excellent doctor. I have seen her many times due to infertility treatment. I am 2 months pregnant thanks to Dr Shifren.

terrible experience

I strongly recommend that you do NOT go to Dr. Jan Shifren for help with infertility. I wasted 3 valuable years under Dr. Shifren's care. I chose her because of the #1 rating of MGH in infertility. It seemed to me that she was only interested in performing IVF although no explanation was found for my infertility. We spent a year doing less invasive treatments and through these I felt that I had to constantly question lack of any adjustments in treatment protocols despite lack of success (for example, I was only making 1-2 follicles for IUI procedures and my medications were not adjusted till I brought this issue to their attention). Dr. Shifren was constantly hours late for her appointments. She spoke very quickly and went through the motions of empathy, but without actually feeling any empathy. I then went through 4 cycles of IVF with her. The one "success" was a chemical pregnancy. For the last cycle, she actually yelled at me before egg retrieval when my request (previously agreed upon) was difficult for her to comply with. Also, she failed to mention that my insurance only covered 6 cycles in total and thus the frozen transfers I had had should probably have been postponed till after doing all the insurance allowable fresh cycles given that the former carry lower success rates and are cheaper in total cost. The entire 3 years of being under Jan Shifren's care, I was an emotional mess. Ultimately, I changed physicians (she took 3 weeks to reply to my announcement) and became pregnant in 3 months under the care of a wonderful and caring RE.

I do not recommend her

Does not care to build any doctor-patient relationship. I did not feel that she listened to me. she forced the treatment option without listening to my needs or understanding my concerns. A doctor should personalize the plan to each patient not forcing a textbook and thats what makes the difference. I ended up with another provider.

Great doctor, excellent staff members

She is a great person and doctor that I've ever seen. We are blessed to have her.

Kind, compassionate & effective

I came to Dr. Shifren for help after two years of infertility. In addition to the stress of seeking fertility help and perfect PMS-timing I found out on the way to the office that my husband hadn't checked to make sure our insurance covered her services. By the time we got there, I was an upset, sobbing mess and was pretty rude to the receptionist for giving us incomplete directions to the office.The entire office was extremely kind - Dr. Shifren and her staff did everything they could to work around our unusual Maryland-based (re: awful) insurance. The receptionist and all of the nurses are warm and friendly despite my outburst. Dr. Shifren communicates in a clear, kind and direct manner, she had me in for a diagnostic ultrasound within minutes of meeting me, and a uterine dye test within days. For a couple who have been through the stress and frustration of waiting through infertility, her quick diagnosis and response was the best part of her care.She always keeps in mind our limited finances and helps us to work around them, and she took the time to contact her knowledgeable insurance contacts.I'm sure this won't be the case with everyone, but in addition to a quick and smart diagnosis and possibly the reduced stress of having such a great doctor and team within a month and a half of Dr. Shifren's care, I got pregnant!

Amazing!

Dr. Shifren is an amazing physician. Smart, caring, thorough and just the best!

Dr. Jan L Shifren is similar to the following 4 Doctors near Boston, MA.

Dr. Jan L Shifren Is this you?