Get the facts about bipolar disorder, including the different types and symptoms of each.
- Bipolar Disorder Facts about bipolar disorder, including different types and symptoms.
- Type 2 Diabetes Basic facts about type 2 diabetes & risk factors to be aware of.
- ADHD Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD), including the different types and who gets them.
- Acne Important facts about acne and what causes it.
- Adult ADHD Facts about attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD) in adults.
- Asthma More than 22 million Americans suffer from asthma. Get the facts.
- Clinical Depression Clinical depression facts; symptoms & other depressive disorders.
- Depression Facts about depression, including the symptoms of the condition.
- Epilepsy Facts about epilepsy, including different types, symptoms and causes.
- Erectile Dysfunction Facts about erectile dysfunction (ED), including causes.
- View All Care Guides Prepare for your next visit with our extensive library of Care Guides
Dr. Janet A Collins has the following 3 specialties
- Child & Adolescent Psychiatry
- Adolescent Medicine
Adolescent specialists are doctors who have advanced training in the health issues that adolescents face. These physicians deal with issues like the onset of puberty, reproductive health, eating disorders, irregular periods, mood changes, drugs and pressures from home and school. For girls entering adulthood, adolescent specialists can act as both pediatrician and gynecologist, so they only have to see one doctor for all their needs.
A psychiatrist is a doctor with specific training in the diagnosis and treatment of mental illness.
He or she can not only provide the counseling necessary to both diagnose and treat a patient, but can also prescribe medication when needed. In some cases, a psychiatrist will only provide the medication and the counseling will be provided by another healthcare specialist, like a certified counselor or psychologist.
Like other doctors, psychiatrists employ diagnostic tools like CT scans and MRI in order to observe the structure and function of a patient's brain.
Once a diagnosis is made, these specialists may use behavior or cognitive therapy in order to address the patient's condition, or a multitude of other types of therapy, in conjunction with or in place of medication.
Dr. Janet A Collins has the following 11 expertise
- Eating Disorders
- Substance Abuse
- Sleep Disorders
- Attention Deficit Disorder (ADD) / Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD)
- Depressive Disorder
- Sexually Transmitted Diseases
- Birth Control
Dr. Janet A Collins is Board Certified in 2 specialties
See the board certifications this doctor has received. Board certifications provide confidence that this doctor meets the nationally recognized standards for education, knowledge and experience.
Showing 5 of 26
Dr. Collins is very rigid. She often doesn't believe the patient's description of symptoms. Her range of solutions is too small. Instead of giving choices, she has biases which are not necessarily based on all the choices available. When getting a second opinion i was told of many more safe choices that I guess she decided I shouldn't have. Why not ?
My son is 15 and he had tried to commit suicide in March. we had been seeing another psychiatrist in our town for about 2 years, but we didn't see any improvement. Dr. Collins asked questions and talked to my son for 20 minutes and made a guess about what he was going through and without hesitation my son said , " Yes, that is what is happening." She talkd to us for an hour, answered all our questions and changed his medication. The only drawback is she charges $350 bucks for first consultation and does not use insurance or take credit cards. Cash and checks only. However she is GOOD and can get away with charging that price.
Dr. Collins is probably better suited for teenagers and older. Every single time I have taken my 6 year old son to see her I get a feeling she is annoyed by him wanting to play with her toys while she is talking to me and not him. I feel as though she is extremely cold and rigid. Her office is very antiquated as well... You would think that in 2011 her schedule and billing system would be through the computer. I was actually shocked and laughed when the assistant brought out a trapper keeper like folder that had her written schedule in it. I thought it was a joke at first. I would not recommend her to anyone and I will be telling the psychologist that referred us to her to stop referring her.. It makes him look bad!
On-Time Doctor Award (2015, 2016)
Vitals On-Time + Promptness Award recognizes doctors with consistent high ratings for timeliness of appointments. The honor is granted based on a physician's overall and promptness scores.
31 Years Experience
The University Of Texas School Of Medicine At San Antonio
Graduated in 1987
Timberlawn Psych Hospital
Please contact the office for more information.
Locations & DirectionsJerr M Lewis Iii Md, 8226 Douglas Ave Ste 805, Dallas, TX
Dr. Janet A Collins is similar to the following 3 Doctors near Dallas, TX.