Get the facts about bipolar disorder, including the different types and symptoms of each.
- Bipolar Disorder Facts about bipolar disorder, including different types and symptoms.
- ADHD Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD), including the different types and who gets them.
- Adult ADHD Facts about attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD) in adults.
- Alzheimer's Disease Facts about Alzheimer’s Disease, including the symptoms and stages.
- Autism Spectrum Disorder Get the facts about Autism Spectrum Disorder (ASD).
- Chronic Pain Facts about chronic pain, including body parts most commonly affected.
- Clinical Depression Clinical depression facts; symptoms & other depressive disorders.
- Depression Facts about depression, including the symptoms of the condition.
- Diabetic Neuropathy Facts about diabetic neuropathy, including the symptoms and doctors.
- Epilepsy Facts about epilepsy, including different types, symptoms and causes.
- View All Care Guides Prepare for your next visit with our extensive library of Care Guides
About Dr. Jean F Pointon
Dr. Jean F Pointon, MD is a Doctor primarily located in Newport, OR, with another office in Tuscaloosa, AL. She has 21 years of experience. Her specialties include Child & Adolescent Psychiatry, Psychiatry and Neurology. Dr. Pointon has received 3 awards. She speaks English.
Dr. Jean F Pointon has the following 3 specialties
- Child & Adolescent Psychiatry
A psychiatrist is a doctor with specific training in the diagnosis and treatment of mental illness.
He or she can not only provide the counseling necessary to both diagnose and treat a patient, but can also prescribe medication when needed. In some cases, a psychiatrist will only provide the medication and the counseling will be provided by another healthcare specialist, like a certified counselor or psychologist.
Like other doctors, psychiatrists employ diagnostic tools like CT scans and MRI in order to observe the structure and function of a patient's brain.
Once a diagnosis is made, these specialists may use behavior or cognitive therapy in order to address the patient's condition, or a multitude of other types of therapy, in conjunction with or in place of medication.
A neurologist is a physician who diagnoses and treats disorders of the nervous system which is comprised of the brain, spinal cord and nerves. These doctors do not perform surgery, but refer patients to neurological surgeons when they determine that surgical intervention is necessary.
Some of the conditions that neurologists diagnose and treat are epilepsy, aneurysms, hydrocephalus, Parkinson's disease, multiple sclerosis, stroke, spinal disc herniation, and spinal disease.
In addition to using diagnostic tests like MRI, CT scans, EEG and EMG, neurologists also employ neurological testing to gauge muscle strength and movement, balance, reflexes, sensation, memory, speech, and other cognitive abilities.
- Manic Depressive Disorder
- Attention-Deficit/Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD)
- Attention Deficit Disorder (ADD) / Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD)
- Personality Disorder
- Mood Disorders
- Mental Illness
- Sleep Disorders
- Depressive Disorder
- Bipolar Disorder
See the board certifications this doctor has received. Board certifications provide confidence that this doctor meets the nationally recognized standards for education, knowledge and experience.
Showing 5 of 21
We have an adult daughter with autism that had begun having behavioral issues related to medications. Her current doctor became frustrated and asked us to find a new doctor. We were so fortunate to find Dr. Jean Pointon. She made very careful and gradual changes to our daughter's medications, and before long, wonderful changes began to be seen. I appreciated the thought and care that went into these changes. She listened to the concerns that we had, our goals for our daughter to be able to function better, and then she worked carefully to find a solution. We are saddened that this wonderful doctor is moving out of the state of Alabama due to how insurance is handled here. I am not sure we'll ever find another psychiatrist as competent as this doctor.
I made an appointment with Dr. Pointon after being dissatisfied with the last psychiatrist I went to. The receptionist is very wonderful and answered all my questions about insurance. When I showed up for the appointment she had remembered details about my insurance from the conversation and got my paperwork done quickly. The appointment went very well and Dr. Pointon was very nice and caring, listened to what I had to say, and asked plenty of questions.I highly recommend her.
Dr Pointon truly does agreat job.She has worked with my family and myself for several years and we have yet to be disapointed with the outcome. Very careing and dedicated professional. We make a 2hour plus drive to her office without complaint. She is truely worth the drive. A true professional in every sense of the word
On-Time Doctor Award (2016)
Vitals On-Time + Promptness Award recognizes doctors with consistent high ratings for timeliness of appointments. The honor is granted based on a physician's overall and promptness scores.
Patients' Choice Award (2015, 2009, 2008)
Patients' Choice recognition reflects the difference a particular physician has made in the lives of his/her patients. The honor is bestowed to physicians who have received near perfect scores, as voted by patients.
Compassionate Doctor Recognition (2015, 2016)
Compassionate Doctor certification is granted to physicians who treat their patients with the utmost kindness. The honor is granted based on a physician's overall and bedside manner scores.
21 Years Experience
University Of Texas Southwestern Medical School
Graduated in 1997
Dr. Jean F Pointon accepts the following insurance providers.
- Aetna Choice POS II
- Aetna Managed Choice POS Open Access
- Aetna Signature Administrators PPO
- CIGNA HMO
- CIGNA Open Access Plus
- CIGNA PPO
- Humana Choice POS
- Humana ChoiceCare Network PPO
- View by Locationttcqeayetrwczwezdueawsrsbdyr
Locations & Directions
Dr. Jean F Pointon is similar to the following 3 Doctors near Newport, OR.