Type 2 Diabetes
Type 2 diabetes is a chronic disease in which your body is unable to maintain a normal blood sugar (glucose) level.
- Birth Control Facts about birth control to help decide which type is right for you.
- Type 2 Diabetes Basic facts about type 2 diabetes & risk factors to be aware of.
- COPD Get the facts about chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD), including symptoms and complications.
- Diabetic Macular Edema Facts about diabetic macular edema, including the different types.
- Flu Facts about influenza (flu), including symptoms and vaccines.
- GERD Get the facts about gastroesophageal reflux disease (GERD).
- Lupus Get the facts about lupus, including symptoms, risk factors, and the different types.
- Menopause Facts about menopause, including the stages, symptoms, and types.
- Ulcerative Colitis Facts about ulcerative colitis, including causes, signs and symptoms.
- View All Care Guides Prepare for your next visit with our extensive library of Care Guides
Dr. Jeffrey M Kagan has the following 2 specialties
- Hospice & Palliative Medicine
- Internal Medicine
An internist is a physician who focuses on the diagnosis and treatment of conditions that affect the adult population—both acute and chronic.
These doctors are often who adults see as their primary physicians because they treat a broad range of illnesses that do not require surgical or specialist interventions. They also work to help a patient maintain optimal health in order to prevent the onset of disease.
In addition to treating the common cold and flu, internists also treat chronic diseases like diabetes and heart disease.
- Weight Loss
See the board certifications this doctor has received. Board certifications provide confidence that this doctor meets the nationally recognized standards for education, knowledge and experience.
Showing 5 of 44
Met him 20 years ago when I took my elderly mother to him. Her doctor in New Britain maintain her on same meds for a few years. She was weak and obviously failing, could barely manage to walk from room to room in her small senior apartment. High school buddy was relating how well his daughter improved after he brought her to Dr. Kagan. Took my mother there, he reviewed her meds, stop this, take half this etc. and a new Rx. A week later she was going out to lunch with my sister. I've been going to him since. Others in the family joined in after witnessing what he did for my mother. He's a straight shooter and pretty direct telling you how it is, the good and the not so good. No sugar coating. Always stays and answers your questions. Not like others who have one hand on the doorknob while responding to questions. A teacher. Occasionally has student with him. With your permission, reviews you history and current issue and asks him/her how they would treat. Then explains how, and why he arrived at his decision.
While the doctor is good, his staff, particularly one individual, is incompetent. First it's hard to get through to them. If you leave a voice message it is never answered. Unless you are making an appointment , everything for anything else she is not cooperative. On one occasion I needed a record sent to my insurance provider. I was for a prior visit. I had already talked to the provide was told to have the record faxed and they will take care of it. When I called Newington Internal Medicine and spoke with the individual she said my provider would not process a back-dated document. Even after I told her it was all set, she still refused. On a second incident. I needed a prescription for pain as I was in excruciating pain. I called 4 times and was told the message was in the doctor's messages. I asked if she could please interrupt the doctor as I was in great pain. Again as before, she refused. It wasn't until the next day that my request was answered.
In general Dr. Kagan is a good doctor--he knows his stuff but I went in for a 3:30 appointment merely a blood pressure check and I didn't see Dr. Kagan until 4:50. Another apt was after I ended up in the ER for an allergic reaction to medication he prescribed and then he told me after I mentioned I wouldn't take it again to keep it because I might need it. He decides what his patients are going to think and doesn't listen. I fired him and found a doctor that not is not only prompt but takes the time to listen. Again, he is a good doctor but his bedside manner leaves a lot to be desired.
University Of Connecticut Health Center
Dr. Jeffrey M Kagan accepts the following insurance providers.
- Aetna CT AWH MC OA w/Pediatric Dental
- Aetna Choice POS II
- Aetna HMO
- Aetna Managed Choice POS Open Access
- Aetna Signature Administrators PPO
- Anthem CT HMO BlueCare
- Anthem CT Pathway X Enhanced Ind HMO
- Anthem PPO Century Preferred CT
- Anthem Pathway X Ind PPO Direct Access CT
BCBS Blue Card
- BCBS Blue Card PPO
- BCBS MA Blue Care Elect PPO
- BCBS MA Preferred Blue PPO
- CIGNA HMO
- CIGNA Open Access Plus
- CIGNA PPO
- Connecticare Flex Connecticut
- First Health PPO
- Harvard Pilgrim ChoiceNet HMO
- Harvard Pilgrim HMO
- Harvard Pilgrim PPO
- Humana ChoiceCare Network PPO
- Oxford Freedom
- Oxford Liberty
- UHC Choice Plus POS
- UHC Navigate HMO
- UHC Navigate POS
- UHC Options PPO
- View by Location
Locations & Directions
Take a minute to learn about Dr. Jeffrey M Kagan in this video.
Dr. Jeffrey M Kagan is similar to the following 0 Doctors near Newington, CT.