Get the facts about bipolar disorder, including the different types and symptoms of each.
- Bipolar Disorder Facts about bipolar disorder, including different types and symptoms.
- Adult ADHD Facts about attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD) in adults.
- Alzheimer's Disease Facts about Alzheimer’s Disease, including the symptoms and stages.
- Autism Spectrum Disorder Get the facts about Autism Spectrum Disorder (ASD).
- Chronic Pain Facts about chronic pain, including body parts most commonly affected.
- Clinical Depression Clinical depression facts; symptoms & other depressive disorders.
- Depression Facts about depression, including the symptoms of the condition.
- Diabetic Neuropathy Facts about diabetic neuropathy, including the symptoms and doctors.
- Epilepsy Facts about epilepsy, including different types, symptoms and causes.
- Erectile Dysfunction Facts about erectile dysfunction (ED), including causes.
- View All Care Guides Prepare for your next visit with our extensive library of Care Guides
Dr. Jeffrey M Karp has the following 2 specialties
A neurologist is a physician who diagnoses and treats disorders of the nervous system which is comprised of the brain, spinal cord and nerves. These doctors do not perform surgery, but refer patients to neurological surgeons when they determine that surgical intervention is necessary.
Some of the conditions that neurologists diagnose and treat are epilepsy, aneurysms, hydrocephalus, Parkinson's disease, multiple sclerosis, stroke, spinal disc herniation, and spinal disease.
In addition to using diagnostic tests like MRI, CT scans, EEG and EMG, neurologists also employ neurological testing to gauge muscle strength and movement, balance, reflexes, sensation, memory, speech, and other cognitive abilities.
A psychiatrist is a doctor with specific training in the diagnosis and treatment of mental illness.
He or she can not only provide the counseling necessary to both diagnose and treat a patient, but can also prescribe medication when needed. In some cases, a psychiatrist will only provide the medication and the counseling will be provided by another healthcare specialist, like a certified counselor or psychologist.
Like other doctors, psychiatrists employ diagnostic tools like CT scans and MRI in order to observe the structure and function of a patient's brain.
Once a diagnosis is made, these specialists may use behavior or cognitive therapy in order to address the patient's condition, or a multitude of other types of therapy, in conjunction with or in place of medication.
- Attention Deficit Disorder (ADD) / Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD)
- Chronic Fatigue Syndrome
- Sleep Disorders
- Alzheimer's Disease
- Carpal Tunnel Syndrome
- Nerve Conduction Studies
- Multiple Sclerosis (MS)
- Shingles (Herpes Zoster)
- Migraine Disorder
See the board certifications this doctor has received. Board certifications provide confidence that this doctor meets the nationally recognized standards for education, knowledge and experience.
Showing 5 of 33
I was referred to Dr. Karp by an ENT group for great discomfort in my ear after lying on my right side at night. First MRI showed what he thought might be a tumor. Followed up several months later (may have been as much as 6 months). Dr. Karp is too quick to make a diagnosis without ordering other tests besides another MRI.When he got wind of my refusing non-related additional tests, I received a nasty letter indicating possible death if the problem wasn't treated. I then saw another neurologist who viewed the initial MRI and started treatment. After a second MRI, the new doctor compared the results with the first. The diagnosis had to do with a nerve problem in the ear which was treated with meds. It took at least another year for the discomfort to dissipate, but all is well now.
I went to this doctor feeling scared looking for help and answers to why I was having certain symptoms completely out of the blue. He had the worst arrogant bed-side manner! After listening to my symptoms for a few minutes, without running any blood tests and minimal clinical testing, coldly announced my grave diagnosis. Then, instead of saying he wanted to run tests to confirm his diagnosis, immediately wanted me to just wear a" patch" for a couple weeks to see IF it would help, THEN he would know if his diagnosis was accurate! I felt like he was merely meeting his quota! I didn't want to be a guinea pig or put chemicals into my body that may not help but hurt, so I refused! Honestly thought he should have FIRST run more comprehensive diagnostic tests BEFORE stamping me with this diagnostic label. Very upsetting! I have since been to another caring doctor who listened to me and then did necessary blood work resulting in a correct and DIFFERENT diagnosis!
Dr. Karp is affiliated (can practice and admit patients) with the following hospital(s).
43 Years Experience
State University Of New York Downstate Medical Center College Of Medicine
Graduated in 1975
Grady Memorial Hospital
Dr. Jeffrey M Karp accepts the following insurance providers.
- Aetna Choice POS II
- Aetna HMO
- Aetna Managed Choice POS Open Access
- Aetna Signature Administrators PPO
BCBS Blue Card
- BCBS Blue Card PPO
- BCBS Florida myBlue
- Florida Blue BlueCare HMO
- Florida Blue BlueOptions
- Florida Blue BlueSelect
- CIGNA HMO
- CIGNA Open Access Plus
- CIGNA PPO
Coventry Health Care
- Coventry FL Employer Group HMO Open Access
- Coventry FL Employer Group PPO
- Humana Choice POS
- Humana ChoiceCare Network PPO
- Humana HMO
- Humana HMO Premier
- Humana HMO Select
- Humana National POS
- Humana Preferred PPO
- Humana Tampa Bay CoreNet
- Humana Tampa Bay HUMx HMOx
- Multiplan PPO
- View by Location
Locations & DirectionsJeffrey M Karp Md, 3251 N McMullen Booth Rd Ste 302, Clearwater, FL
Take a minute to learn about Dr. Jeffrey M Karp in this video.
Dr. Jeffrey M Karp is similar to the following 3 Doctors near Clearwater, FL.