Type 2 Diabetes
Type 2 diabetes is a chronic disease in which your body is unable to maintain a normal blood sugar (glucose) level.
- Birth Control Facts about birth control to help decide which type is right for you.
- Type 2 Diabetes Basic facts about type 2 diabetes & risk factors to be aware of.
- Binge Eating Disorder Facts about binge eating disorder, including symptoms and causes.
- COPD Get the facts about chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD), including symptoms and complications.
- Chronic Idiopathic Constipation Learn about chronic idiopathic constipation, including treatment
- Diabetic Macular Edema Facts about diabetic macular edema, including the different types.
- Eating Disorders Facts about different types of eating disorders.
- Flu Facts about influenza (flu), including symptoms and vaccines.
- Food Allergy Facts about food allergy, including the symptoms and signs.
- GERD Get the facts about gastroesophageal reflux disease (GERD).
- View All Care Guides Prepare for your next visit with our extensive library of Care Guides
About Dr. Jennifer Avila
Dr. Jennifer Avila, MD is a Doctor primarily located in San Diego, CA, with other offices in La Mesa, CA and La Mesa, CA (and 1 other location). She has 14 years of experience. Her specialties include Emergency Medicine. Dr. Avila is affiliated with Sharp Chula Vista Medical Center, Tri-City Medical Center and Scripps Green Hospital. She speaks English.
Dr. Jennifer Avila has the following 1 specialty
- Emergency Medicine
An emergency physician is a doctor who is an expert in handling conditions of an urgent and extremely dangerous nature. These specialists work in the emergency room (ER) departments of hospitals where they oversee cases involving cardiac distress, trauma, fractures, lacerations and other acute conditions.
Emergency physicians are specially trained to make urgent life-saving decisions to treat patients during an emergency medical crisis. These doctors diagnose and stabilize patients before they are either well enough to be discharged, or transferred to the appropriate department for long-term care.
See the board certifications this doctor has received. Board certifications provide confidence that this doctor meets the nationally recognized standards for education, knowledge and experience.
Showing 2 of 2
I went to the ER with 10 out of 10 abdominal pain with continuous dry heaves. Dr Jennifer Kiss ordered a pelvic ultrasound saw nothing, gave me some Vicodin for pain, and then sent me home. A day later I went back to the same ER in shock, fully hard and distended hard belly, temperature of 90, and in sepsis. The attending ER doctor ordered CT scan, in which showed severe small bowel obstruction and lots of free fluid. I was in emergency surgery 10 hours over 50% of my small bowel removed because it was necrosis. In ICU I had more free fluid coming out of the sutures so I went back for a second surgery in which 30% more of my small bowed removed and part of my stomach. I had full organ failure. I had DIC which the clot was in my left kidney which I would eventually lose completely. I was in a medically induced coma for a month in the ICU. I spent another month on the general floor learning to get up from my bed, go to the bathroom, eat food again, and how to walk again. I spent another 5 months at home bound. I had various procedures on my kidneys. I have chronic illness for the rest of my life due to this catastrophic event all because Jennifer Kiss ordered a pelvic ultrasound and sent me home when I should of emergency surgery right then and there.
Dr. Avila is affiliated (can practice and admit patients) with the following hospital(s).
San Diego Rehabilitation Institute
14 Years Experience
Drexel University College Of Medicine
Graduated in 2001
Dr. Jennifer Avila accepts the following insurance providers.
BCBS Blue Card
- BCBS Blue Card PPO
Blue Cross California
- Blue Cross CA Priority Select HMO
- Blue Cross CA Select HMO
- Blue Cross CA Select Plus HMO
- Health Net CA HMO Employer Group
- Health Net CA HMO SmartCare
- Health Net CA HMO Whole Care Network
- Health Net CA Individual and Family PPO
- Health Net CA PPO
- UHC Choice Plus POS
- UHC Options PPO
- View by Location
Locations & Directions
Dr. Jennifer Avila is similar to the following 3 Doctors near San Diego, CA.