Dr. Jerry Oakman Is this you?

Have you seen Dr. Jerry Oakman?

Excellent family physician.

Posted on August 1st, 2012

I've been seeing Dr. Oakman for several years now, and I wouldn't have it any other way. He takes the time to talk to his patients and he explains how he came to a diagnosis and what the different treatment options are. In all of my and my kids' visits, Dr. Oakman has never been wrong in a diagnosis and has always treated us like family. Even better, my kids like him! I'm not exaggerating when I say that I dread the day that Dr. Oakman decides to retire. I trust him completely.

Old school doctor.

Posted on July 11th, 2012

It is so refreshing to know there are still some old school doctors out there. I had a cold that wasn't going away. He actually gave me a shot like the one I got when I was a kid and my cold went away almost immediately. He sat there going through my diagnosis like doctors did before the time is money attitude surfaced. I left the office smiling. To think that breed of doctors will soon be extinct is disheartening.

Excellent Doctor!

Posted on April 11th, 2012

Absolutely Horrible

Posted on January 30th, 2012

I switched to Dr. Oakman because I wanted a caring, understanding physician closer to home. My experience in the waiting room was pleasant, because the staff (aside from Oakman) were cheerful and sincere. When the doctor entered, however, the whole atmosphere changed. He didn't even look at me when he entered the room, so I started with "hi! how are you doing?" He responded with "fine"...didn't bother to ask how I was, but I didn't think much of it because I thought he was focused on reviewing my file. When I told him the name of the prescription medication I take (Vyvase), he retorted with "well I HOPE that's not why you're here." I explained to him that I'd been struggling with Attention Deficit Disorder since before junior high, and cited specific examples of how it has affected my life. I told him that, when I was first prescribed the medication, I was extremely apprehensive to take it because I felt that A.D.D. was totally over-diagnosed and the medicine is either abused or not necessary for probably 99% of people who take it, but it really changed my life. (For the record, Vyvanse is a newer stimulant that is much more balanced than Adderall or Ritalin, with less "speed-like" side effects.) Dr. Oakman was COMPLETELY ignorant, not only about Vyvanse - he didn't even know what it was - but also about A.D.D. He spoke to me as if I were a drug addict, and was completely blinded by the misconceptions of the disorder and knew nothing about the truth of the problem. I agree that A.D.D. is often misdiagnosed, but I am absolutely in the 1% of people who do not abuse the drugs, and actually need them (for REAL problems that A.D.D. cause...not for being distracted or lazy.) When I expressed that we obviously had different viewpoints, and I should probably just switch back to my old doctor (Dr. Marlow in The Woodlands...who is phenomenal and incredibly intelligent), he proceeded to ask me if I were in school, then told me that having a college education wasn't worth the cost, and that I didn't need one. He was completely patronizing, extremely ignorant, and constantly dismissive of me as a patient. He told me that "you won't be on this medicine forever, and eventually you'll just have to learn to deal with your problems". I was so insulted...I would never use medicine to escape an issue, and the fact that he knew so little about my condition was abundantly obvious. I told him that, if I ever stopped taking the medicine, it would be gradually because you can't just stop taking something cold-turkey, it isn't healthy. He shrugged, then sent me on my way. I waited for almost an hour, and paid $25 to listen to someone insult me and condescendingly lecture me like a child. I was so shocked, because I'd read such wonderful reviews about him...but I would NEVER recommend this doctor to ANYONE. It was the worst experience I've ever had in a doctor's office. This man obviously wasn't paying much attention during the lesson on "bedside manner" in medical school. I almost left in tears.

Excellent Family Doctor

Posted on May 23rd, 2011

If Experience and proffessionalism is what you seek in a family doctor, then Dr. Oakman is your doctor. Specialized practices are referred to other excellent physicians.

Building Consultant

Posted on May 18th, 2011

Dr. Oakman is a knowledgeable doctor who takes the time to work through patient problesm. I recommend him with enthusiasm.

Great doctor with a personal touch

Posted on December 10th, 2009

I have been a patient of Dr. Oakman for several years. I think he is terrific for two primary reasons: he takes the time to talk with me and have a conversation about my health and my concerns, and his philosophy is to be conservative about prescribing medications and testing. He takes the time to discuss with you pros and cons and lets you make the informed decision.A great guy, and a rarity in today's world of doctors that are under pressure to meet with a certain number of patients per hour. Dr. Oakman gets the highest marks from me.

Posted on February 11th, 2015