Get the facts about birth control so you can decide which type is right for you.
- Birth Control Facts about birth control to help decide which type is right for you.
- Type 2 Diabetes Basic facts about type 2 diabetes & risk factors to be aware of.
- COPD Get the facts about chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD), including symptoms and complications.
- Carpal Tunnel Syndrome Facts about carpal tunnel syndrome, including the causes and symptoms.
- Diabetic Macular Edema Facts about diabetic macular edema, including the different types.
- Fibromyalgia Facts about fibromyalgia, including the symptoms and conditions.
- Flu Facts about influenza (flu), including symptoms and vaccines.
- GERD Get the facts about gastroesophageal reflux disease (GERD).
- Gout Get the facts about gout, including the risk factors.
- Lupus Get the facts about lupus, including symptoms, risk factors, and the different types.
- View All Care Guides Prepare for your next visit with our extensive library of Care Guides
Dr. Joan T Merrill has the following 2 specialties
A rheumatologist is a physician who has received extensive training in diagnosing and treating rheumatic conditions. Rheumatic conditions involve the joints, soft tissues, autoimmune system, vascular system, and connective tissues.
Some of the conditions that rheumatologists treat are rheumatoid arthritis, ankylosing spondylitis, gout, sarcoidosis, vasculitis, and lupus. These are all conditions that involve a lot of pain and make mobility difficult. Rheumatologists use medications, such as analgesics, NSAIDs, steroids, DMARDs, infliximab, and adalimumab, as well as occupational therapy, in order to decrease pain and improve a patient's quality of life.
- Internal Medicine
An internist is a physician who focuses on the diagnosis and treatment of conditions that affect the adult population—both acute and chronic.
These doctors are often who adults see as their primary physicians because they treat a broad range of illnesses that do not require surgical or specialist interventions. They also work to help a patient maintain optimal health in order to prevent the onset of disease.
In addition to treating the common cold and flu, internists also treat chronic diseases like diabetes and heart disease.
- Rheumatoid Arthritis
- Rheumatic Diseases
- Antiphospholipid Syndrome (APS)
- Systemic Lupus Erythematosus (SLE)
Showing 5 of 7
Dr. Merrill has been my Doctor since 2004. She is a kind and caring human being who also happens to be brilliant, when it comes to my disease Systemic Lupus Erythematous (SLE). Dr. Merrill is without a doubt the doctor you want to see when you're diagnosed with SLE. She has dedicated her life to the fight against SLE, with countless sacrifices made involving her personal life. Dr. Merrill is a dynamic powerhouse in the fight against lupus, not to mention she is located in Clinical Pharmacology at Oklahoma Medical Research Foundation in Oklahoma City, OK. OMRF is one of the leading research facilities in the country. Getting into a study at OMRF saved my life. Thanks so much to all at OMRF and Dr. Merrill.
Dr. Merrill is one of the smartest people on the planet when it comes to Lupus. She diagnosed me with APS and predicted I would eventually develop Lupus. She was right and I've been with her for 8 years. I always plan to spend 2 hours at my office visit. Most of this time is spent with her and her staff. They are thorough, answering all my questions, and leaving me feeling encouraged about the high level of research being conducted today that will help me in the future. If she says you don't have Lupus you can go in another direction for your diagnosis. She can be trusted with your life!
I have been a patient of Dr Merrills for over 7 years. When I was in between jobs with no medical insurance, I was still told to keep my appointments and pay what I could. I try to get in early and be the 1st patient she has to see. She has lots of patients and sometimes gets behind BUT its because she is a great Dr. and wonderful person.
Patients' Choice Award (2011, 2014)
Patients' Choice recognition reflects the difference a particular physician has made in the lives of his/her patients. The honor is bestowed to physicians who have received near perfect scores, as voted by patients.
Compassionate Doctor Recognition (2014, 2011)
Compassionate Doctor certification is granted to physicians who treat their patients with the utmost kindness. The honor is granted based on a physician's overall and bedside manner scores.
33 Years Experience
Weill Cornell Medical College
Graduated in 1985
Bellevue Hospital Center
Dr. Joan T Merrill accepts the following insurance providers.
- View by Location
Locations & DirectionsOu Physicians Building, 825 NE 10th St, Oklahoma City, OK
Take a minute to learn about Dr. Joan T Merrill in this video.
Dr. Joan T Merrill is similar to the following 3 Doctors near Oklahoma City, OK.