Get the facts about attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD) in adults, including the different types and symptoms of each.
- Bipolar Disorder Facts about bipolar disorder, including different types and symptoms.
- ADHD Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD), including the different types and who gets them.
- Adult ADHD Facts about attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD) in adults.
- Alzheimer's Disease Facts about Alzheimer’s Disease, including the symptoms and stages.
- Autism Spectrum Disorder Get the facts about Autism Spectrum Disorder (ASD).
- Chronic Pain Facts about chronic pain, including body parts most commonly affected.
- Clinical Depression Clinical depression facts; symptoms & other depressive disorders.
- Depression Facts about depression, including the symptoms of the condition.
- Diabetic Neuropathy Facts about diabetic neuropathy, including the symptoms and doctors.
- Epilepsy Facts about epilepsy, including different types, symptoms and causes.
- View All Care Guides Prepare for your next visit with our extensive library of Care Guides
About Dr. Joan Z Schmugler MD
Dr. Joan Z Schmugler, MD is a Doctor primarily located in Poughkeepsie, NY, with another office in Dover Plains, NY. She has 50 years of experience. Her specialties include Psychiatry and Neurology. Dr. Schmugler is affiliated with Hudson Valley Hospital Center. She speaks English.
Dr. Joan Z Schmugler has 2 locations
514 Haight Ave
Poughkeepsie, NY 12603
Book Online Now
Dr. Joan Z Schmugler has the following 2 specialties
A psychiatrist is a doctor with specific training in the diagnosis and treatment of mental illness.
He or she can not only provide the counseling necessary to both diagnose and treat a patient, but can also prescribe medication when needed. In some cases, a psychiatrist will only provide the medication and the counseling will be provided by another healthcare specialist, like a certified counselor or psychologist.
Like other doctors, psychiatrists employ diagnostic tools like CT scans and MRI in order to observe the structure and function of a patient's brain.
Once a diagnosis is made, these specialists may use behavior or cognitive therapy in order to address the patient's condition, or a multitude of other types of therapy, in conjunction with or in place of medication.
A neurologist is a physician who diagnoses and treats disorders of the nervous system which is comprised of the brain, spinal cord and nerves. These doctors do not perform surgery, but refer patients to neurological surgeons when they determine that surgical intervention is necessary.
Some of the conditions that neurologists diagnose and treat are epilepsy, aneurysms, hydrocephalus, Parkinson's disease, multiple sclerosis, stroke, spinal disc herniation, and spinal disease.
In addition to using diagnostic tests like MRI, CT scans, EEG and EMG, neurologists also employ neurological testing to gauge muscle strength and movement, balance, reflexes, sensation, memory, speech, and other cognitive abilities.
Dr. Joan Z Schmugler has the following 13 expertise
- Depressive Disorder
- Manic Depressive Disorder
- Personality Disorder
- Attention-Deficit/Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD)
- Sleep Disorders
- Bipolar Disorder
- Attention Deficit Disorder (ADD) / Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD)
- Clinical Depression
- Mental Illness
- Mood Disorders
Dr. Joan Z Schmugler is Board Certified in 1 specialty
See the board certifications this doctor has received. Board certifications provide confidence that this doctor meets the nationally recognized standards for education, knowledge and experience.
Showing 5 of 7
Cold and dangerous
Self-verified patient of Dr. Joan Z Schmugler - Posted on January 3rd, 2019
I travel a lot and have been on zoloft for 3 months. Due to travel, I can't see Dr. Smuggler every 30 days, this month I won't be able to see her 10 extra days (40 days since my last appt.). She will not call in a refill. So I have to go through withdrawal now because I can't get to Poughkeepsie before then, I'm literally not in the state. This is dangerous, she could call in a10 day prescription but refuses to. In addition her affect is cold, uncaring, she complains about her job and doesn't ask any probing questions. AVOID.
She Couldn’t care less
Self-verified patient of Dr. Joan Z Schmugler - Posted on December 21st, 2018
Self-verified patient of Dr. Joan Z Schmugler - Posted on September 20th, 2018
It's Not Her Fault She has a Bad Staff
Self-verified patient of Dr. Joan Z Schmugler - Posted on August 30th, 2018
You know the old saying: Just can't get good help nowadays? Well, that's her situation. Insofar as her personality, I don't care. I'm not there to be coddled or have my hands held. I'm there for a clinical evaluation & professional detached outlook. If I want a doctor to pull out the guitar & sing Kumbaya, I'll go elsewhere.
Self-verified patient of Dr. Joan Z Schmugler - Posted on February 24th, 2015
I had an initial appointment scheduled for treatment of post partum depression. The day before the appointment, they canceled it with no explanation. They couldn't get me back on the schedule for three weeks. They canceled the second appointment the day of, saying that the doctor won't be in after all. What good is a psychiatrist who doesn't keep appointments?
Dr. Schmugler is affiliated (can practice and admit patients) with the following hospital(s).
50 Years Experience
Philadelphia College Of Osteopathic Medicine
Graduated in 1969
St Lukes Roosevelt Hospital Center
Dr. Joan Z Schmugler Accepts the Following Insurance
- Aetna Choice POS Open Access
- Aetna Elect Choice EPO
- Aetna Managed Choice POS Open Access
- Aetna NYC Community Plan
- Aetna Signature Administrators PPO
- Anthem PPO Century Preferred CT
BCBS Blue Card
- BCBS Blue Card PPO
- BCBS MA Blue Care Elect PPO
- BCBS MA Preferred Blue PPO
- CIGNA HMO
- CIGNA Open Access Plus
- CIGNA PPO
- Empire Blue Priority EPO
- Empire HMO
- Empire PPO
- Empire Prism EPO Blue Priority
MVP Health Plan
- MVP HMO
- MVP Premier Plus HMO Small Groups
- Oxford Metro
Locations & Directions
Dr. Joan Z Schmugler is similar to the following 4 Doctors near Poughkeepsie, NY.