Get the facts about bipolar disorder, including the different types and symptoms of each.
- Bipolar Disorder Facts about bipolar disorder, including different types and symptoms.
- ADHD Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD), including the different types and who gets them.
- Adult ADHD Facts about attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD) in adults.
- Alzheimer's Disease Facts about Alzheimer’s Disease, including the symptoms and stages.
- Autism Spectrum Disorder Get the facts about Autism Spectrum Disorder (ASD).
- Chronic Pain Facts about chronic pain, including body parts most commonly affected.
- Clinical Depression Clinical depression facts; symptoms & other depressive disorders.
- Depression Facts about depression, including the symptoms of the condition.
- Diabetic Neuropathy Facts about diabetic neuropathy, including the symptoms and doctors.
- Epilepsy Facts about epilepsy, including different types, symptoms and causes.
- View All Care Guides Prepare for your next visit with our extensive library of Care Guides
Dr. Joanna L Vanvleet has the following 2 specialties
A psychiatrist is a doctor with specific training in the diagnosis and treatment of mental illness.
He or she can not only provide the counseling necessary to both diagnose and treat a patient, but can also prescribe medication when needed. In some cases, a psychiatrist will only provide the medication and the counseling will be provided by another healthcare specialist, like a certified counselor or psychologist.
Like other doctors, psychiatrists employ diagnostic tools like CT scans and MRI in order to observe the structure and function of a patient's brain.
Once a diagnosis is made, these specialists may use behavior or cognitive therapy in order to address the patient's condition, or a multitude of other types of therapy, in conjunction with or in place of medication.
A neurologist is a physician who diagnoses and treats disorders of the nervous system which is comprised of the brain, spinal cord and nerves. These doctors do not perform surgery, but refer patients to neurological surgeons when they determine that surgical intervention is necessary.
Some of the conditions that neurologists diagnose and treat are epilepsy, aneurysms, hydrocephalus, Parkinson's disease, multiple sclerosis, stroke, spinal disc herniation, and spinal disease.
In addition to using diagnostic tests like MRI, CT scans, EEG and EMG, neurologists also employ neurological testing to gauge muscle strength and movement, balance, reflexes, sensation, memory, speech, and other cognitive abilities.
Dr. Joanna L Vanvleet has the following 12 expertise
- Mental Illness
- Personality Disorder
- Attention Deficit Disorder (ADD) / Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD)
- Sleep Disorders
- Bipolar Disorder
- Mood Disorders
- Attention-Deficit/Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD)
- Depressive Disorder
- Clinical Depression
Dr. Joanna L Vanvleet has 1 board certified specialty
See the board certifications this doctor has received. Board certifications provide confidence that this doctor meets the nationally recognized standards for education, knowledge and experience
Dr. Joanna L Vanvleet is Board Certified in 1 specialty
See the board certifications this doctor has received. Board certifications provide confidence that this doctor meets the nationally recognized standards for education, knowledge and experience.
Showing 5 of 15
I had to rate this physician with 1 star in every category in order to be able to complete the comments section. I attempted to make an appointment. Although, she IS accepting new patients, she TURNED ME DOWN due to the fact that I'm on psychiatric disability. I explained to the woman in her office that I've been stable for several years to no avail. After much thought, my husband and I can only make one of two conclusions: 1) Her office is located in the ritzy part of town. She had my address and could readily see that I live in a middle-class part of town. 2) She only wants to treat patients who have minor psychiatric conditions to make it easy on herself.
I've been a patient for about a year, and can't say enough good things about this fine lady. She spends the time necessary to get to know about you and your history. First visit for "med-management" was about an hour. My past experience had different docs prescribing me meds after a 15 minute period. The follow up visits last between an average of 15 to 20 minutes, but never appear to have an absolute time limit. Also other healthy lifestyle changes are discussed, not just medication. She is personable, keeps appointment times (a big plus in my book), and I always leave feeling like I spent time with a friend, not just a doctor. I choose to drive over 1.5 hours each way from where I live because the care I receive is that good. Absolutely the best care I've ever received!
14 Years Experience
Nova Southeastern University College Of Dental Medicine
Graduated in 2004
Henry Ford Health System
Dr. Joanna L Vanvleet accepts the following insurance providers.
- Aetna Choice POS II
- Aetna HMO
- Aetna Managed Choice POS Open Access
- Aetna Signature Administrators PPO
BCBS Blue Card
- BCBS Blue Card PPO
- Florida Blue BlueCare HMO
- Florida Blue BlueOptions
- Florida Blue BlueSelect
- CIGNA HMO
- CIGNA LocalPlus
- CIGNA Open Access Plus
- CIGNA PPO
Locations & DirectionsSt Lucie Medical Center, 1555 NW Saint Lucie West Blvd Ste 201, Port Saint Lucie, FL
Dr. Joanna L Vanvleet is similar to the following 3 Doctors near Port Saint Lucie, FL.