Get the facts about birth control so you can decide which type is right for you.
- Birth Control Facts about birth control to help decide which type is right for you.
- Type 2 Diabetes Basic facts about type 2 diabetes & risk factors to be aware of.
- COPD Get the facts about chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD), including symptoms and complications.
- Diabetic Macular Edema Facts about diabetic macular edema, including the different types.
- Flu Facts about influenza (flu), including symptoms and vaccines.
- GERD Get the facts about gastroesophageal reflux disease (GERD).
- Lupus Get the facts about lupus, including symptoms, risk factors, and the different types.
- Menopause Facts about menopause, including the stages, symptoms, and types.
- Ulcerative Colitis Facts about ulcerative colitis, including causes, signs and symptoms.
- View All Care Guides Prepare for your next visit with our extensive library of Care Guides
Dr. Joel Pena Jr has the following 1 specialty
- Internal Medicine
An internist is a physician who focuses on the diagnosis and treatment of conditions that affect the adult population—both acute and chronic.
These doctors are often who adults see as their primary physicians because they treat a broad range of illnesses that do not require surgical or specialist interventions. They also work to help a patient maintain optimal health in order to prevent the onset of disease.
In addition to treating the common cold and flu, internists also treat chronic diseases like diabetes and heart disease.
- Weight Loss
- Weight Loss (non-surgical)
Showing 5 of 46
I have been Dr. Pena's patient for many years, but during my last visit didn't even ask me why I was there. He started making check marks on the chart paperwork, then started to get up telling me it was time for labs. When I stopped him to tell him about my medical concerns and medications he had previously prescribed he starting yelling that I needed very high doses of OTC med. he recommended. When trying to get clarification he kept yelling that I was not listening. Later I went online and found he was recommending extremely high doses of the OTC that causes high risk of bleeding. May be looking for a new PCP.
Dr.Pena has been my Dr for several years.He has always been kind,caring and compassionate.I have been without insurance while switching jobs and he has always offered to see me should I need medical care.He always makes time to see me even without an appt. I have always recommended him and will continue to do so in the future.
This Dr. was recommended by my sister. because she said he visited my brother in-law while he was at the hospital and thought he was a good dr. Well I went to see him when I had just changed insurances and needed help controlling my diabetes. He put me on ;three different pills 2000 mg of metformin and Januvia and Glimeperide, my glucose levels would drop to 67, sometimes 49 at different times . I would tell , and he'd say that's good that's normal. meanwhile I was dizzy jittery, having morbid thoughts, He'd say keep taking them. I took it upon my own to stop taking Januvia and glimepiride, when I told him he was furious he screamed at me told me He was trying to keep my pancreas alive. That is just one situation. Well I finally looked for another Dr. and told her I'vebeen suffering from extreme diarrhea for a whole year or more Which Dr. Pena kept telling me was Lactose intolerant. My new Dr. Told me stop takin metformin and diarrhea was gone the very next day. If I were working for a company other than my own where I have the freedom and bathroom next to me. I know I would have had to quit working. This Dr. might be Bipolar. I consider myself lucky to have gotten away from him
29 Years Experience
The University Of Texas School Of Medicine At San Antonio
Graduated in 1989
University Of Texas Health Science
Dr. Joel Pena Jr accepts the following insurance providers.
- Aetna Choice POS II
- Aetna HMO
- Aetna Managed Choice POS Open Access
- Aetna Signature Administrators PPO
BCBS Blue Card
- BCBS Blue Card PPO
- BCBS TX BlueChoice
- BCBS TX HMO Blue Texas
- CIGNA HMO
- CIGNA Open Access Plus
- CIGNA PPO
- Humana Choice POS
- Humana ChoiceCare Network PPO
- Humana HMO
- Humana HMO Premier
- Humana National HMO
- Humana National POS
- Humana Preferred PPO
- Multiplan PPO
- PHCS PPO
- UHC Choice Plus POS
- UHC Navigate HMO
- UHC Navigate POS
- UHC Options PPO
- View by Location
Locations & DirectionsCristo Rey Clinic Pa, 1207 Brooklyn Ave, San Antonio, TX
Dr. Joel Pena Jr is similar to the following 3 Doctors near San Antonio, TX.