Get the facts about birth control so you can decide which type is right for you.
- Birth Control Facts about birth control to help decide which type is right for you.
- Type 2 Diabetes Basic facts about type 2 diabetes & risk factors to be aware of.
- Binge Eating Disorder Facts about binge eating disorder, including symptoms and causes.
- Bowel Incontinence Facts about bowel incontinence, including causes & who's most at risk.
- COPD Get the facts about chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD), including symptoms and complications.
- Chronic Idiopathic Constipation Learn about chronic idiopathic constipation, including treatment
- Colonoscopy Facts about colonoscopy, including how and why it's done.
- Crohn's Disease Facts about Crohn’s Disease, including how it affects the body.
- Diabetic Macular Edema Facts about diabetic macular edema, including the different types.
- Eating Disorders Facts about different types of eating disorders.
- View All Care Guides Prepare for your next visit with our extensive library of Care Guides
About Dr. Joel S Spellun
Dr. Joel S Spellun, MD is a Doctor primarily located in Providence, RI, with another office in Johnston, RI. He has 36 years of experience. His specialties include Gastroenterology and Internal Medicine. Dr. Spellun is affiliated with St Joseph Center for Health & Human Services. Dr. Spellun has received 2 awards. He speaks English.
Dr. Joel S Spellun has the following 2 specialties
A gastroenterologist is a specialist in diagnosis and treatment of conditions involving the digestive/gastrointestinal (GI) tract. These doctors are experts on how food moves through the digestive system and is chemically broken down, with nutrients being absorbed and waste excreted. You might see this kind of doctor if you are experiencing any number of stomach issues, some of which might be severe diarrhea, irritable bowel syndrome, hemorrhoids, ulcers, acid reflux, Crohn's disease and more.
- Internal Medicine
An internist is a physician who focuses on the diagnosis and treatment of conditions that affect the adult population—both acute and chronic.
These doctors are often who adults see as their primary physicians because they treat a broad range of illnesses that do not require surgical or specialist interventions. They also work to help a patient maintain optimal health in order to prevent the onset of disease.
In addition to treating the common cold and flu, internists also treat chronic diseases like diabetes and heart disease.
- Celiac Disease
- Abdominal Pain
- Hepatitis B
- Acid Reflux Disease (GERD)
- Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS)
- Hepatitis C
- Ulcerative Colitis
- Acid Reflux Disease (Gastroesophageal Reflux / GERD)
Showing 5 of 13
Dr. Spellun was a godsend to me almost 20 years ago when I came down with pancreatitis and was almost on deaths door. Although his personality could be a little quirky at times, he was very competent, and it wasn't that difficult to get an appointment. Fast forward to a few years ago. It became increasingly difficult to get an appointment, and many times we had to see the NP instead. Dr. Spellun's personality seemed to become more arrogant as well. Rather then taking the time to research my problem, he seemed to dismiss everything as being related to being overweight or for mental health reasons. Some family members that went to him noticed this as well. We have since changed to a new gastroenterologist who takes our concerns more seriously. Maybe Dr. Spellun needs to take some time of from practicing to do research or perhaps consider an early retirement if he can't be nice to patients and their families.
Patients' Choice Award (2015, 2016)
Patients' Choice recognition reflects the difference a particular physician has made in the lives of his/her patients. The honor is bestowed to physicians who have received near perfect scores, as voted by patients.
Compassionate Doctor Recognition (2014)
Compassionate Doctor certification is granted to physicians who treat their patients with the utmost kindness. The honor is granted based on a physician's overall and bedside manner scores.
Dr. Spellun is affiliated (can practice and admit patients) with the following hospital(s).
36 Years Experience
Weill Cornell Medical College
Graduated in 1982
Rhode Island Hospital
Dr. Joel S Spellun accepts the following insurance providers.
- Aetna Choice POS II
- Aetna Managed Choice POS Open Access
- Aetna Signature Administrators PPO
BCBS Blue Card
- BCBS Blue Card PPO
- BCBS MA Blue Care Elect PPO
- BCBS MA Preferred Blue PPO
BCBS Rhode Island
- BCBS RI HealthMate Coast to Coast
- CIGNA HMO
- CIGNA LocalPlus
- CIGNA Open Access Plus
- CIGNA PPO
- Connecticare Flex Connecticut
- Connecticare Passage
- First Health PPO
- Harvard Pilgrim ChoiceNet HMO
- Harvard Pilgrim HMO
- Harvard Pilgrim PPO
- Humana Choice POS
- Humana ChoiceCare Network PPO
- Multiplan PPO
- PHCS PPO
Tufts Health Plan
- Tufts Granite Advantage EPO, PPO and Saver
- Tufts PPO
- UHC Navigate HMO
- UHC Options PPO
- View by Locationttcqeayetrwczwezdueawsrsbdyr
Locations & Directions
Dr. Joel S Spellun is similar to the following 3 Doctors near Providence, RI.