- Birth Control Facts about birth control to help decide which type is right for you.
- Gastric Cancer Facts about Gastric Cancer, including symptoms and treatment
- Lung Cancer Get lung cancer facts, including risk for developing it.
- Metastatic Melanoma The facts about metastatic melanoma, a serious skin cancer.
- Skin Cancer Get the facts about skin cancer, including the types and symptoms.
- Triple-Negative Breast Cancer Facts about Triple-Negative Breast Cancer, including symptoms and treatment
- Type 2 Diabetes Basic facts about type 2 diabetes & risk factors to be aware of.
- Bladder Cancer Facts about Bladder Cancer, including symptoms and treatment options
- Breast Cancer Breast cancer facts, including risks for developing it.
- View All Care Guides Prepare for your next visit with our extensive library of Care Guides
About Dr. John A Axelson
Dr. John A Axelson, MD is a Doctor primarily located in Brooklyn, MI. His specialties include Hematology and Oncology, Internal Medicine and Hematology. Dr. Axelson is affiliated with Henry Ford Allegiance Health [Hospital]. Dr. Axelson has received 1 award. He speaks English.
Book Online Now
Dr. John A Axelson has the following 3 specialties
- Hematology and Oncology
An Oncologist is a physician who focuses on the diagnosis and treatment of different cancers. This physician has extensive knowledge of the different signs and symptoms of cancer, as well as the various methods of treatment.
Oncologists diagnose cancer through methods such as biopsy, endoscopy, X-ray, blood tests, ultrasound, and different forms of nuclear medicine. They treat cancer through surgery, chemotherapy, radiotherapy, hormone therapy, or antibody treatments.
If it is determined that a cancer cannot successfully be treated, oncologists then focus on providing palliative care, the use of pain medication to make a dying person more comfortable.
- Internal Medicine
An internist is a physician who focuses on the diagnosis and treatment of conditions that affect the adult population—both acute and chronic.<br>These doctors are often who adults see as their primary physicians because they treat a broad range of illnesses that do not require surgical or specialist interventions. They also work to help a patient maintain optimal health in order to prevent the onset of disease.
In addition to treating the common cold and flu, internists also treat chronic diseases like diabetes and heart disease.
A hematology specialist is an expert in disorders of the blood, the blood forming organs and bone marrow. These doctors diagnose, treat and work to prevent diseases that affect the production of blood and its components, as well as the ability of the blood to perform its many functions, such as coagulation and carrying oxygen to the lungs and tissue.
Hematologists diagnose and treat blood disorders, such as anemia, hemophilia, leukemia, sickle cell anemia, deep vein thrombosis and pulmonary embolism.
Depending on the condition, hematology specialists may treat a patient with a blood transfusion, stem cell transplantation, bone marrow transplant, radiotherapy, anticoagulation therapy or medication.
Dr. John A Axelson has the following 21 expertise
- Adult T-Cell Leukemia-Lymphoma
- Deep Vein Thrombosis
- Myeloproliferative Disorders
- Chronic Myelomonocytic Leukemia
- Breast Cancer
- Multiple Myeloma (Cancer of Plasma Cells)
- Acute Myeloid Leukemia
- Hodgkin's Lymphoma
- Metastatic Breast Cancer
- Bone Marrow Transplant
- Myelodysplastic Syndromes
- Chronic B-Cell Lymphocytic Leukemia
- Blood Cancer
- Hepatitis C
Dr. John A Axelson is Board Certified in 2 specialties
See the board certifications this doctor has received. Board certifications provide confidence that this doctor meets the nationally recognized standards for education, knowledge and experience.
Patients' Choice Award (2009, 2008)
Patients' Choice recognition reflects the difference a particular physician has made in the lives of his/her patients. The honor is bestowed to physicians who have received near perfect scores, as voted by patients.
Dr. Axelson is affiliated (can practice and admit patients) with the following hospital(s).
University Of Michigan Health System
Please contact the office for more information.
Locations & DirectionsJOHN A AXELSON MD, 150 Hawthorne Dr, Brooklyn, MI
Take a minute to learn about Dr. John A Axelson, MD - Hematology and Oncology in Brooklyn, MI, in this video.
Dr. John A Axelson is similar to the following 4 Doctors near Brooklyn, MI.