Get the facts about birth control so you can decide which type is right for you.
- Birth Control Facts about birth control to help decide which type is right for you.
- Type 2 Diabetes Basic facts about type 2 diabetes & risk factors to be aware of.
- COPD Get the facts about chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD), including symptoms and complications.
- Diabetic Macular Edema Facts about diabetic macular edema, including the different types.
- Flu Facts about influenza (flu), including symptoms and vaccines.
- GERD Get the facts about gastroesophageal reflux disease (GERD).
- HIV/AIDS The differences between HIV & AIDS; signs, symptoms & complications.
- Lupus Get the facts about lupus, including symptoms, risk factors, and the different types.
- Menopause Facts about menopause, including the stages, symptoms, and types.
- Shingles Facts about shingles, including symptoms & possible long-term effects.
- View All Care Guides Prepare for your next visit with our extensive library of Care Guides
About Dr. John K Chia
Dr. John K Chia, MD is a Doctor primarily located in Torrance, CA. He has 39 years of experience. His specialties include Infectious Disease and Internal Medicine. Dr. Chia is affiliated with Little Company Of Mary San Pedro Hospital, Torrance Memorial Medical Center and Providence Little Co of Mary Medical Center Torrance. Dr. Chia has received 6 awards. He speaks English.
Dr. John K Chia has the following 2 specialties
- Infectious Disease
An infectious disease specialist has specialized training in the diagnosis and treatment of contagious diseases.
Infectious diseases, also known as contagious or transmissible diseases, are those that stem from pathogen from a host organism. These infections may spread to other carriers through physical touch, airborne inhalation, bodily fluids or contaminated foods.
Infectious disease specialists identify whether the disease is caused by bacteria, a virus, a fungus or a parasite often through blood tests and then determine what course of treatment, if any, is necessary.
- Internal Medicine
An internist is a physician who focuses on the diagnosis and treatment of conditions that affect the adult population—both acute and chronic.
These doctors are often who adults see as their primary physicians because they treat a broad range of illnesses that do not require surgical or specialist interventions. They also work to help a patient maintain optimal health in order to prevent the onset of disease.
In addition to treating the common cold and flu, internists also treat chronic diseases like diabetes and heart disease.
Dr. John K Chia has the following 8 expertise
- Human Immunodeficiency Virus (HIV/AIDS)
- Hepatitis C
- AIDS/HIV (Acquired Immunodeficiency Syndrome)
- HIV Infections
Dr. John K Chia has 2 board certified specialties
See the board certifications this doctor has received. Board certifications provide confidence that this doctor meets the nationally recognized standards for education, knowledge and experience
Dr. John K Chia is Board Certified in 2 specialties
See the board certifications this doctor has received. Board certifications provide confidence that this doctor meets the nationally recognized standards for education, knowledge and experience.
Showing 5 of 34
Having chronic anything is tough, combined with having something nobody understands or knows how to treat makes it extra rough. Dr. Chia doesn't rest until he has found what your exact ailment is and what is available to do with it. Granted what I have has no cure, but knowing someone cares and is trying to make others understand is reassuring and very comforting. Thank God for him.
I have an unusual condition where I had to have cardiac stents put in the same artery 4x in 1 year. My cardiologist eventually sent me to Dr. Chia. He asked me so many more questions than any other Dr. He was the only one to link my bronchitis 1 month before my first heart attack to my recurring heart problems due to the bacteria going from my lungs into my heart. I have seen him for several years now. All I can say is I have seen a number of Drs over the years and every one of them has said that Dr. Chia is the smartest Dr. they know. It does take a while to get your first appointment with him, but it is worth the wait as he will find things that other Dr.s will not. What impressed me most is asks so many questions to try to tie together a possible cause for your condition.
Can't stand this doctor. First, I had to wait 5 months to see him. I advise people who are very ill to go to an integrated doctor or functional medicine doctor and not wait that long. He just zeros in on viruses which is very dangerous bc he is missing alot of other pieces of the puzzle. He is very cocky, tunnel visioned, and dismissive. His research is outdated and he gives everyone the same cookie cutter approach. You can get the viruses panel he checks for from any infectious disease doctor. He knows nothing about methylation, detoxing, mold, mycoplasma, SIBO, Pylori, or balancing gut He does not acknowledge lyme or any co-infection. I found him rude, arrogant and aspergerish.. He just has ok reviews bc he acknowledges CFS and FMS.. but the causes are viruses and he has so much OCD with this theory which is partially true that he drops the ball on other areas which is very ignorant.
I have been very impressed by Dr Chia. I have been having a number of autoimmune issues for over 15 years. Many doctors and med cocktails had just led to more and more complications. Rheumatologist and pulmonologist not sure what to do. About 5 months ago emergency doctors brought in Dr Chia to my case. He is very personable, excellent bedside manner, and took time to share with me and my family the issues at hand. My other doctors had the highest regard for Dr Chia. Now all are working together. Every other doctor has told me that I am in the best care now, Dr Chia is a genius. I refer to him as the nice Dr House.
Castle Connolly Regional Top Doctors
Castle Connolly is America's trusted source for the identification of Top Doctors. Their physician-led research team reviews and screens the credentials of tens of thousands of physicians who are nominated by their peers annually, via a nationwide online process, before selecting those physicians who are regionally or nationally among the very best in their medical specialties. Castle Connolly believes strongly that Top Doctors Make a Difference™.
Patients' Choice Award (2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2017, 2018)
Patients' Choice recognition reflects the difference a particular physician has made in the lives of his/her patients. The honor is bestowed to physicians who have received near perfect scores, as voted by patients.
Compassionate Doctor Recognition (2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2017, 2018)
Compassionate Doctor certification is granted to physicians who treat their patients with the utmost kindness. The honor is granted based on a physician's overall and bedside manner scores.
Compassionate Doctor Award - 5 Year Honoree (2013, 2014, 2015)
Vitals Compassionate Doctor Award - 5 Year Honoree recognizes doctors with the highest scores in bedside manner for five consecutive years. This honor is granted to a few distinct doctors in the United States based on experiences shared by patients.
Top 10 Doctor - City (2014)
Top 10 Doctors are chosen by the millions of patients who visit Vitals each year to find a new doctor and share their experiences by providing ratings and reviews. In order to differentiate highly-regarded doctors from the rest for patients in search of quality care, Vitals awards Top 10 Doctor honors to those physicians within a certain specialty and geographic area who are consistently given top ratings by their patients.
On-Time Doctor Award (2009, 2014, 2018)
Vitals On-Time + Promptness Award recognizes doctors with consistent high ratings for timeliness of appointments. The honor is granted based on a physician's overall and promptness scores.
Dr. Chia is affiliated (can practice and admit patients) with the following hospital(s).
39 Years Experience
University Of California Los Angeles David Geffen School Of Medicine
Graduated in 1979
Cedars Sinai Medical Center
Dr. John K Chia accepts the following insurance providers.
- Aetna Choice POS II
- Aetna HMO
- Aetna HMO Deductible Plan CA only
- Aetna Managed Choice POS Open Access
- Aetna Savings Plus of CA
- Aetna Signature Administrators PPO
BCBS Blue Card
- BCBS Blue Card PPO
Blue Cross California
- BC CA California Care Small Group HMO
- Blue Cross CA PPO Prudent Buyer Small Group
- Blue Cross CA Advantage PPO Preferred DirectAccess Plus
- Blue Cross CA California Care Large Group HMO
- Blue Cross CA PPO Prudent Buyer Individual
- Blue Cross CA PPO Prudent Buyer Large Group
- Blue Cross CA Pathway X HMO
- Blue Cross CA Pathway X PPO
- Blue Cross CA Select HMO
- Blue Cross CA Select PPO
- Blue Cross CA Select Plus HMO
- Blue Cross CA Vivity
Blue Shield California
- BS CA Platinum 90 PPO
- Blue Shield CA Access Plus HMO
- Blue Shield CA Access Plus Savenet
- Blue Shield CA Bronze 60 PPO SHOP
- Blue Shield CA Bronze Full PPO 4500
- Blue Shield CA Local Access Plus HMO
- Blue Shield CA PPO
- Blue Shield CA Platinum Access+ HMO 25
- Blue Shield CA Platinum Local Access + HMO 25
- Blue Shield CA Silver 70 PPO
- Blue Shield CA Trio ACO HMO
- CIGNA HMO
- CIGNA LocalPlus
- CIGNA Open Access Plus
- CIGNA PPO
- First Health PPO
- Health Net CA HMO Employer Group
- Health Net CA HMO SmartCare
- Health Net CA HMO Whole Care Network
- Health Net CA Individual and Family PPO
- Health Net CA PPO
- Health Net EPO - PureCare One Small Business
- Health Net PureCare HSP Individual and Family Plans
- Health Net SmartCare Large Group
- Health Net SmartCare Small Group
- Humana Choice POS
- Multiplan PPO
- PHCS PPO
- PHCS PPO Kaiser
- UHC Choice Plus POS
- UHC Navigate HMO
- UHC Navigate POS
- UHC Options PPO
Locations & DirectionsInfectious Disease Medical Group, 23560 Crenshaw Blvd Ste 101, Torrance, CA
Dr. John K Chia is similar to the following 3 Doctors near Torrance, CA.