Dr. John Martinez Is this you?

2.5

Neutral

Have you seen Dr. John Martinez?

DO NOT RECOMMEND

Posted on September 26th, 2017

Condescending, arrogant, and a drill-sergeant. Would ask questions and cut me off in the middle of answering; only wanted one-word answers. Made the appt. in July, but had to wait 3 months to see him. Waited almost 2 hours to see him in the office and then he kept saying there was nothing he could do for me. He didn't even look at my sinuses/ears/throat and didn't even address the issue I made the appointment for until I brought it up at the end. Will never see this provider again.

Worst experience ever

Posted on September 2nd, 2016

Same as one sad patient and the reviewer after that. I didn't see that I could give a zero star rating or I would have. This is the only dr. I have ever said, "you know what, I'm about to walk out of here" to. This was after 50 minutes of his rude deposition-like rapid-fire questioning about symptoms that weren't even related to the problem I was there for and also going over my medications-- all information I had filled out on the forms prior to coming in! He doesn't look at you; types continuously and says the punctuation marks outloud as he types. If you aren't sure of an answer, he types in "she's not sure". The notes are almost verbatim. After I told him I was ready to walk out, he said he wouldn't even go over my problems then! What?!! Then he left the room for 15 minutes, came back, listened to me breathing and addressed my low immune system test results which was why I was there to begin with. That should have been addressed right up front. I had the paperwork for him.

Love Dr Martinez!

Posted on January 14th, 2015

Martinez is the best rheumatologist I've been to. He's knowledgable, answers all my questions, and I'm pleased with his treatment suggestions. Although we haven't resolved it yet, it's not from lack of trying on his part. The first appt will be a long one as he takes very meticulous notes and it does grow tiring remembering every dr, test and date of your medical condition past. However in hindsight it makes sense since he has all the info, in the manner he wants it, for subsequent visits. He doesn't have to ask the same thing over and over like others I've been to, as he reads the notes at the beginning of each visit to refresh himself. I answer his questions, knowing at some point when he's ready, he will give me the opportunity to add anything or ask questions. He also gives me options with his suggestion which I appreciate. I've grown accustomed to how he conducts his appts and wish all drs were as thorough as he is; it's refreshing to have a physician care enough to make sure they have all the info.

Incredibly insulted, disappointed and frustrated!

Posted on May 5th, 2014

This is a long review but if you take the time to read it, it will save you lots of grief! I must inform you about the very bad experience I've had at the Rheumatology department at Kansas University Medical Center. I was living in Oregon, and for the past three years I have been treated by a Rheumatology Dr. at the Oregon Health Science University Rheumatology Department. I recently moved from Oregon to Kansas and because I wanted to continue to get the same exceptional care that my previous Dr. has been giving me. I understood University of Kansas Medical Center provides expert care. Therefore I chose Kansas University medical center. My previous DR sent the referral and I was assigned Dr. Martinez as my Doctor. My first visit with Dr. Martinez started long past my appointment time, I did not document this time but it was at least one hour past my appointment time before I was called into the examining room. I came prepared with all the necessary paperwork filled out I also supplemented that information with a neatly organize list of my pharmaceutical meditations, my over-the-counter medications and also the supplements I have been taking. I also provided printed information about my medical history, my family medical history and information and details about the circumstances and condition which I believe had brought on my autoimmune response in the first place. The nurse complimented me on how organized I was and how I had made her job easier by providing all this information and she only asked a few questions to clarify some of the details. It is my understanding that all the information I provided including what I filled out on your paperwork was entered into my record on your computer system. After a long wait in the examining room Dr. Martinez finally entered the room. From that point on, the entire process was lengthy and chaotic, he spent a great deal of time typing on the computer, asking me about my history and medications. Afterwhile I realized he intended to go through the entire process of every little detail I had already provided, so I told him that I already gave all of this information to the nurse. He said that didn't matter he doesn't trust the nurses, and doesn't think they do their job right. He made several remarks about nurses and their incompetence during this appointment. When I told him that my current primary care doctor was a nurse practitioner he responded in a negative tone, saying "oh she is ONLY a nurse." I was quite taken back by his attitude and his tone of voice and what seemed like a serious dislike of nurses in general. His questions of me about my medical record information felt like a long grueling process as though he was grilling me With a verbal test. It was quite uncomfortable and I felt somewhat intimidated. He often interrupted the process with corrections about my use of medical terms. He seem to get agitated when he thought I didn't communicate clearly enough and he had to clarify things often had to do with my not knowing the technical medical names for parts of my body. Once he went off on a huge tangent about explaining the history of hysterectomies and proper terms that should be used; he spent about 20 minutes educating us on this subject which was not in any way related to what I was there for. When he questioned me about where I was born and raised, again he went off on another tangent about a song that makes a small reference to this community. He went on and on about this subject, about this song and the lyrics and who sang it, what year it was recorded, the artists and the name of the album. Because he couldn't remember the lyrics exactly, after he went back to typing on the computer he would stop a few times and talk about this song and musician again trying to remember the exact words to the song. This was far beyond any attempt at making small talk to put a patient at ease and be friendly, it was all centered around him and his needs and seemed like very bizarre and inappropriate behavior. As he was busy at the computer dictating information I noticed some information was not being entered completely accurate so I tried to communicate this with him but he repeatedly resisted my input. At the end of the appointment he told me because he did not have complete information from my referral he could not help me and that he needed to run his own test and take some x-rays. However he also asked me if I should stop taking the Pacquinel and seemed to doubt whether I had Sjogren's syndrome. I went and had x-rays and blood drawn as he ordered, but because he took so long with me in the examining room I barely had time to get my x-rays done and didn't quite make it to get my blood work before they were leaving but luckily they understood I was from out-of-town and sent me to the inpatient part of the hospital to get my blood drawn. I left that day exhausted, stressed and concerned about the way my appointment went and also concerned that he did not have my previous records and was prepared to take me off medications before he even knew what was going on. I am still able to communicate with my doctor at Oregon Health Science University and I emailed him and asked him to please be sure all my records and information were sent. He replied to my email and confirmed that he had sent all my records again and he had also composed a narrative for Dr. Martinez as well. At my second visit with Dr. Martinez, and when I was first in the examining room with the nurse, after she took my vitals I shared with her that I had a pretty negative experience with him at my first appointment and asked her what I needed to do about it and if I could get a different doctor. She said unfortunately that patients are not able to switch doctors but that I should contact you with my concerns. This second visit was even more disappointing as again he spent a large amount of time typing on the computer and not interacting with me at all. He again went over many of the same things that he did in the first visit, and again he talked about irrelevant subjects and inaccurate info. At this visit he never performed any kind of examinations whatsoever. Again he was a very preoccupied with documenting information on the computer. Once I was finally able to tell him that he should have additional information from my doctor at Oregon Health Science University because I had requested it. He insisted there was nothing there. I was frustrated and insisted the information was sent and told him that Dr Wanchu had emailed me and confirmed it. He seemed irritated with me and left the room, I assume to go find out if there was any more additional information. My husband Who was with me for both visits could see out the doorway of the examining room into the hallway and noticed that Dr. Martinez went into the room across from my examining room with a woman in a white coat. He was gone from the examining room for at least 40 minutes, and when he returned he had a large pile of files and paperwork that he said was from his inbox that he hadn't attended to. He sat in the examining room and went through the entire pile of paperwork naming patients on certain papers and files out loud. Once he found some paperwork he turned to his computer but again he said he didn't have complete notes and the notes that he had I believe he interpreted incorrectly. Dr. Wanchu had even made a brief notation about my oncologist in his narrative, which should have raised some serious concerns and questions with Dr. Martinez but he completely overlooked it. A nurse came in and asked how much longer because a patient he should have seen at least an hour earlier was still waiting. He suddenly switched directions and went over my recent x-rays and blood test very hurriedly. He said there were no signs of inflammation or autoimmune disease in any of my test. He's also said there were no signs in my x-rays. He said you "will probably want to go find a new doctor after I tell you this." He then stated that he did not believe that I have seronegative Rheumatoid arthritis. He said it was only remotely possible that I had Sjogren's syndrome. He said it was highly possible that I had fibromyalgia and that is what my problem really is and it should be treated by my primary care physician. He said I should not be taking the methotrexate or Prednesone. I tried to tell him that he misunderstood and that the methotrexate had resulted in finally getting me in a stable condition. He said Is not true and that my previous DR stated in his records that he does not believe I have seronegative rheumatoid arthritis, or anything else but that he only suspect Sjorgrens Syndrome, and he definitely believes I have fibromyalgia. He said he will not continue to treat me with methotrexate or Prednesone, and said that "your previous rheumatologist is giving you medications for diseases you do not have" he said, "I will not do that so if you want to continue taking these drugs you need to go find some other doctor." I tried to explain my condition to him and how much the methotrexate has helped me, but he refused to listen, and said that I was wanting drugs for treating diseases I did not have. Again he said that " your previous doctor might be okay with giving patients drugs for diseases they do not have but I am not!" He seemed irritated and left the room. You have no idea how much I would rather not be taking these serious medications however my condition requires it and they had brought me great relief. If I had any doubt whatsoever that these men medications were not necessary I would definitely not be taking them. Accusing me of wanting these drugs for no reason is a ridiculous accusation. He gave me no other test or examinations of any kind - none whatsoever other than briefly and casually looking at my hands and knees at the first appointment. He stated in his notes that he gave me some other examinations, council and advice that he definitely did not. I was well over five hours in the examining room with this doctor over the course of the two visits combined. He was overly preoccupied with documenting on the computer and he was completely disconnected with me as his patient. I realize my illness is unique and a little complicated and my test results do not indicate a classic diagnosis. However Dr. Martinez should know that many autoimmune diseases do not give all the classic positive blood test results and that medications can alter the results of tests. Dr. Martinez had absolutely no interest in understanding or learning anything about my condition, he did not listen when I tried to explain my symptoms and condition to him, he read my previous Doctors notes inaccurately, and in the end it seemed he just really wanted to get rid of me, and be sure I never came back. Doctor Martinez accusations towards my previous doctor are harsh and unwarranted. My previous DR is a highly regarded expert in his field and his credentials and experience are superior to Dr. Martinez. The multiple comments Dr. Martinez made about nurses were rude and inappropriate and it was very clear that he had little respect for them. I do not have much money, and my co-pay the insurance payments on my behalf and travel expenses were a complete waste, not to mention the stress and disappointment as well as the time involved. Now I must go through the process of finding a new rheumatologist, getting a new referral and start all over again. I am very disappointed in the treatment that I've gotten and someone needs to do something about this physician so that other patients will not have to go through such a terrible ordeal as I have. I'm concerned about all the new patients he does have whether they are getting the care that they really need. I also feel for the nurses who work with him after hearing his comments and knowing the negative attitude he has about them. It seems I have to at least give one star to have my rating accepted which isn't good because this guy deserves NONE ! In fact I wish there was a negative star rating.... :(

Worst experience ever

Posted on April 7th, 2014

I had been having pain for quite some time and my NP wanted me to see a Rheumatologist to see if I could get a diagnosis of what was bothering me. On my first visit I waited almost 2 hours. The doctor came in and never introduced himself. It seemed he cared more about typing in his computer than talking to me. He never examined me at all. He sent me for blood test and xrays. On my second visit my appointment was at 3:40 and he came in the room at almost 5:30. He asked several questions and then went over all the blood test which all came back normal. He then went over the xrays and proceeded to tell me unless I wanted some medicine there is nothing that he could do. He said I possibly could have Fybromyalgia/slight osteo/slight digenitive disk disease but none of these should be causing me the pain I said I felt. He said there was nothing he could do since he was an Arthrits doctor. When I left I was in tears he did not believe me and made me feel awful and stupid.

Same happened to me

Posted on October 9th, 2013

I had the same type of experience as still looking. I paid my copay, which cost more because he is considered a "specialist" he came in didn't introduce himself, reach to shake my hand, nothing. Began writing notes and then handed me a pamphlet on Fibromyalgia and said to read it come back in a week and see if that sounds like what I was experiencing. Never any type of exam, never laid a finger on me, like I said not even a hand shake. Came back the next week, paid another copay, he came in asked if I read the pamphlet, I said yes, he asked if it sounded like what I was experiencing, I said I thought so. He proceeds to tell me there isn't anything that they can do for Fibromyalgia and then proceeded to offer my antidepressants. Which made me feel like he thought my pain was all in my head and that even he didn't believe in Fibromyalgia so I must be crazy. I left also in tears, with no results except money out of my pocket. I have been told by some that Fibromyalgia is something doctors tell you you have when they don't know what it is. I don't think I believe that, but this doctor made me feel like he believes that. But of course he wouldn't know what was wrong since he never examined me or did any test, just gave me a pamphlet to self diagnosis myself and then offer me crazy pills. I too suggest not using this "doctor" find someone who actually cares.

Great attention to detail

Posted on October 28th, 2011

A little brusque, but really listened and try to get to the heart of the issue.

Posted on October 3rd, 2017