Get the facts about bipolar disorder, including the different types and symptoms of each.
- Bipolar Disorder Facts about bipolar disorder, including different types and symptoms.
- ADHD Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD), including the different types and who gets them.
- Adult ADHD Facts about attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD) in adults.
- Alzheimer's Disease Facts about Alzheimer’s Disease, including the symptoms and stages.
- Autism Spectrum Disorder Get the facts about Autism Spectrum Disorder (ASD).
- Chronic Pain Facts about chronic pain, including body parts most commonly affected.
- Clinical Depression Clinical depression facts; symptoms & other depressive disorders.
- Depression Facts about depression, including the symptoms of the condition.
- Diabetic Neuropathy Facts about diabetic neuropathy, including the symptoms and doctors.
- Epilepsy Facts about epilepsy, including different types, symptoms and causes.
- View All Care Guides Prepare for your next visit with our extensive library of Care Guides
Dr. John A Detre has the following 2 specialties
A psychiatrist is a doctor with specific training in the diagnosis and treatment of mental illness.
He or she can not only provide the counseling necessary to both diagnose and treat a patient, but can also prescribe medication when needed. In some cases, a psychiatrist will only provide the medication and the counseling will be provided by another healthcare specialist, like a certified counselor or psychologist.
Like other doctors, psychiatrists employ diagnostic tools like CT scans and MRI in order to observe the structure and function of a patient's brain.
Once a diagnosis is made, these specialists may use behavior or cognitive therapy in order to address the patient's condition, or a multitude of other types of therapy, in conjunction with or in place of medication.
A neurologist is a physician who diagnoses and treats disorders of the nervous system which is comprised of the brain, spinal cord and nerves. These doctors do not perform surgery, but refer patients to neurological surgeons when they determine that surgical intervention is necessary.
Some of the conditions that neurologists diagnose and treat are epilepsy, aneurysms, hydrocephalus, Parkinson's disease, multiple sclerosis, stroke, spinal disc herniation, and spinal disease.
In addition to using diagnostic tests like MRI, CT scans, EEG and EMG, neurologists also employ neurological testing to gauge muscle strength and movement, balance, reflexes, sensation, memory, speech, and other cognitive abilities.
Dr. John A Detre has the following 16 expertise
- Brain Cancer
- Multiple Sclerosis (MS)
- Migraine Disorder
- Headache Disorders
- Brain Ischemia
- Nerve Conduction Studies
- Cerebrovascular Disorders
- Migraine Disorders
- Alzheimer's Disease
- Carotid Stenosis
- Brain Disorder
- Temporal Lobe Epilepsy
Dr. John A Detre is Board Certified in 1 specialty
See the board certifications this doctor has received. Board certifications provide confidence that this doctor meets the nationally recognized standards for education, knowledge and experience.
Showing 3 of 3
They asked me to write a few specific descriptions and experiences about being a patient with neurological disorders. I actually found it a bit of a challenge to put into words, but I felt that, to do what he has always been willing to do for me, I would at least write a "little" something. After all, I don't think that many of us appreciate all of the good that some physicians do for us, especially the few that do it gladly. To be completely honest, there have been times when I considered finding a different neurologist. However, after careful consideration regarding this issue, wiser medical professionals and consultation with intelligent friends, it became clear to me, friends, professors, colleagues, family, and my boss that my behavior needed to change with the new diagnosis that I found myself facing. It was hard to accept at first and no one would want to do something like stop drinking AT ALL. It was not until later that I truly understood the effect that he had on my life. And, he still with that diagnosis and he still does. As does, his wonderful receptionist Debbie!I hope that he is able to help someones life as much as he has helped mine.
32 Years Experience
Yale University School Of Medicine
Graduated in 1986
University Of Pennsylvania Health System
Dr. John A Detre accepts the following insurance providers.
- Aetna Choice POS II
- Aetna Choice POS Open Access
- Aetna HMO
- Aetna Managed Choice POS Open Access
- Aetna Select
- Aetna Signature Administrators PPO
BCBS Blue Card
- BCBS Blue Card PPO
Capital Blue Cross
- Capital BC PPO
- First Health PPO
Geisinger Health Plan
- Geisinger Health Plan
- Highmark Community Blue PPO
- Horizon BCBS OMNIA - TIER2
- Horizon Direct Access
- Horizon HMO
- Horizon OMNIA
- Horizon POS
- Horizon PPO
- Humana Choice POS
- Humana ChoiceCare Network PPO
- IBC Keystone HMO POS
- IBC Personal Choice PPO
- Multiplan PPO
- Oxford Freedom
- Oxford Liberty
- QualCare HMO
- QualCare PPO
- UHC Choice Plus POS
- UHC Navigate HMO
- UHC Navigate POS
- UHC Options PPO
Locations & DirectionsHospital Of The University Of Pennsylvania, 3400 Spruce St, Philadelphia, PA
Take a minute to learn about Dr. John A Detre in this video.
Dr. John A Detre is similar to the following 3 Doctors near Philadelphia, PA.