Type 2 Diabetes
Type 2 diabetes is a chronic disease in which your body is unable to maintain a normal blood sugar (glucose) level.
- Birth Control Facts about birth control to help decide which type is right for you.
- Lung Cancer Get lung cancer facts, including risk for developing it.
- Type 2 Diabetes Basic facts about type 2 diabetes & risk factors to be aware of.
- COPD Get the facts about chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD), including symptoms and complications.
- Chemotherapy A breakdown of the types of chemotherapy & potential side effects.
- Diabetic Macular Edema Facts about diabetic macular edema, including the different types.
- Flu Facts about influenza (flu), including symptoms and vaccines.
- GERD Get the facts about gastroesophageal reflux disease (GERD).
- Lupus Get the facts about lupus, including symptoms, risk factors, and the different types.
- Menopause Facts about menopause, including the stages, symptoms, and types.
- View All Care Guides Prepare for your next visit with our extensive library of Care Guides
About Dr. John Freitas
Dr. John Freitas, MD is a Doctor primarily located in Ypsilanti, MI. He has 45 years of experience. His specialties include Nuclear Medicine and Internal Medicine. Dr. Freitas is affiliated with Saint Joseph Mercy Livingston Hospital, St Joseph Mercy Chelsea and Saint Joseph Mercy Saline Hospital. He speaks English.
Dr. John Freitas has the following 2 specialties
- Nuclear Medicine
Nuclear medicine specialists are doctors who have extensive training in the use of nuclear substances, like radiation, to diagnose and treat certain illnesses.
These specialists perform diagnostic tests in which a small amount of a radioactive substance is injected into a vein, inhaled or taken orally by the patient. The radioactive substance then enables the nuclear medicine specialist to use a scanner to detect the radiation level in the part of the body being examined in order to create an image of it with a computer. The images tell the physician whether there are abnormal changes in metabolism which indicate whether a disease or injury is present. These tests are often used to detect cancer.
In addition to detecting cancer, substances like radioactive iodine can be either injected into the blood stream or taken orally to fight cancer and other diseases. After being ingested, the substance is absorbed by the thyroid gland and abnormal thyroid tissues are destroyed.
- Internal Medicine
An internist is a physician who focuses on the diagnosis and treatment of conditions that affect the adult population—both acute and chronic.
These doctors are often who adults see as their primary physicians because they treat a broad range of illnesses that do not require surgical or specialist interventions. They also work to help a patient maintain optimal health in order to prevent the onset of disease.
In addition to treating the common cold and flu, internists also treat chronic diseases like diabetes and heart disease.
Dr. John Freitas has the following 3 expertise
- Adrenal Gland Diseases
- Thyroid Cancer
- Thyroid Diseases
Dr. John Freitas has 2 board certified specialties
See the board certifications this doctor has received. Board certifications provide confidence that this doctor meets the nationally recognized standards for education, knowledge and experience
Dr. John Freitas is Board Certified in 2 specialties
See the board certifications this doctor has received. Board certifications provide confidence that this doctor meets the nationally recognized standards for education, knowledge and experience.
Showing 2 of 2
Dr. Freitas is affiliated (can practice and admit patients) with the following hospital(s).
Saint Joseph Mercy Saline Hospital
Caribou Memorial Hospital
First Health of Carolinas
Forsyth Medical Center
Saint Joseph Mercy Hospital
St. Mary Mercy Hospital
St. Mary Mercy Livonia
Beaumont Hospital, Royal Oak
St. Joseph Mercy Ann Arbor
Gooding County Memorial Hospital
ProMedica North Region-Bixby Campus
ProMedica North Region-Herrick Campus
St Joseph Regional Medical Center
45 Years Experience
University Of Michigan Medical School
Graduated in 1971
University Of Michigan Health System
Dr. John Freitas accepts the following insurance providers.
- Humana ChoiceCare Network PPO
Locations & DirectionsHuron Valley Radiology, 5333 McAuley Dr, Ypsilanti, MI
Take a minute to learn about Dr. John Freitas in this video.
Dr. John Freitas is similar to the following 3 Doctors near Ypsilanti, MI.