Your bladder is the hollow, muscular organ in your lower belly where urine is stored. When you urinate, the muscles of your bladder contract and push urine out through a tube called the urethra. Bladder cancer starts when cells in the bladder start to grow out of control. These cells can form into a bladder tumor. They can also spread outside your bladder to lymph nodes and to structures far from the bladder, like your bones, lungs or liver. This is known as metastasis.
- Metastatic Melanoma The facts about metastatic melanoma, a serious skin cancer.
- Skin Cancer Get the facts about skin cancer, including the types and symptoms.
- Bladder Cancer Facts about Bladder Cancer, including symptoms and treatment options
- Bowel Incontinence Facts about bowel incontinence, including causes & who's most at risk.
- Colonoscopy Facts about colonoscopy, including how and why it's done.
- Colorectal Cancer Facts about Colorectal cancer, including symptoms and treatment options
- Endometriosis Facts about endometriosis, including symptoms.
- Head and Neck Cancer Facts about head and neck cancer, including symptoms and treatment options
- View All Care Guides Prepare for your next visit with our extensive library of Care Guides
About Dr. John E Mayer Jr
Dr. John E Mayer Jr, MD is a Doctor primarily located in Boston, MA. He has 46 years of experience. His specialties include Thoracic Surgery (Cardiothoracic Vascular Surgery) and Vascular Surgery. Dr. Mayer has received 1 award. He speaks English.
Dr. John E Mayer Jr has the following 2 specialties
- Thoracic Surgery (Cardiothoracic Vascular Surgery)
- Vascular Surgery
Vascular surgeons treat and manage disorders in your veins, arteries and your lymphatic system to ensure blood circulation in your heart and in brain is the best it can be. They're well-versed on how your vascular system works with the rest of your body and they can treat conditions that may cause blockages or buildup.
They can perform many of the same diagnostic testing as interventional radiologists can, such as angiography and MRIs. In addition to diagnosis, they provide critical care and treatment for aneurysms, artery blockages and trauma injuries that involve your veins. They can also help patients manage diabetes, blood pressure and cholesterol as well as treat artery disease. Treatment for more serious cases might include bypass surgery or surgery to remove plaque.
Dr. John E Mayer Jr has the following 29 expertise
- Cardiac Surgical Procedures
- Aortic Coarctation
- Blood Vessel Prosthesis Implantation
- Diabetes Complications
- Developmental Disorders
- Hypoplastic Left Heart Syndrome
- Aortic Valve Stenosis
- Varicose Veins
- Right Heart Bypass
- Congenital Heart Defects
- Heart Disease (Myocardial Ischemia)
- Coronary Vessel Anomalies
- Cardiopulmonary Bypass (CPB)
- Congenital Heart Disease (Double Outlet Right Ventricle)
- Ventricular Septal Defects
- Heart Valve Diseases
- Pathologic Constriction
- Arteriovenous Malformations
- Percutaneous Arterial Septic Defect (ASD) Closure
- Vascular Surgical Procedures
- Heart Diseases
- Vascular Malformations
- Heart Valve Prosthesis Implantation
- Deep Vein Thrombosis
- Heart Transplantation
- Cardiac Arrhythmias
- Tetralogy of Fallot
Dr. John E Mayer Jr has 1 board certified specialty
See the board certifications this doctor has received. Board certifications provide confidence that this doctor meets the nationally recognized standards for education, knowledge and experience
Dr. John E Mayer Jr is Board Certified in 1 specialty
See the board certifications this doctor has received. Board certifications provide confidence that this doctor meets the nationally recognized standards for education, knowledge and experience.
Showing 5 of 9
Dr Mayer operated on my son when he was an infant for a double ventricular defect. He did an amazing job and my son is now going on 13 years old with no issues. Dr Mayer also immediately took us in when I was concerned about 3 years ago when my son had chest pains - he was wonderful with him and is a very caring and conscientious doctor.
Dr. Mayer operated on my son for a congenital heart defect when he was an infant. We have recently gone back to him for consultation of a newly acquired heart defect. Our experience with him was the same positive one today as it was 25 years ago; he is a remarkable surgeon and person. Not only is he a complete expert in cardiothoracic surgery, but is also caring and supportive - totally patient-centered. He repaired my son's congenital heart defect so that his first 25 years of life have been completely normal; and now, he has steered us in the right direction for treatment of a newly acquired heart problem. We have every confidence that his life will be fine again because of Dr. Mayer's counsel.
Castle Connolly America's Top Doctors (2017)
Castle Connolly America's Top Doctors® are specialists who are highly recommended by their peers and other healthcare professionals. The Castle Connolly research staff reviews both professional qualifications and professional reputation prior to Top Doctor status being awarded. This recognition identifies the top medical specialists throughout the country who possess a high level of medical skill and expertise. Castle Connolly America's Top Doctors® are specialists who are highly recommended by their peers and other healthcare professionals. The Castle Connolly research staff reviews both professional qualifications and professional reputation prior to Top Doctor status being awarded. This recognition identifies the top medical specialists throughout the country who possess a high level of medical skill and expertise.
46 Years Experience
Yale University School Of Medicine
Graduated in 1972
Dr. John E Mayer Jr accepts the following insurance providers.
- Aetna Choice POS II
- Aetna HMO
- Aetna Managed Choice POS Open Access
- Aetna Signature Administrators PPO
BCBS Blue Card
- BCBS Blue Card PPO
- BCBS MA Blue Care Elect PPO
- BCBS MA HMO Blue Select
- BCBS MA HMO Blue with Managed Care Behavioral Health
- BCBS MA Preferred Blue PPO
- CIGNA HMO
- CIGNA LocalPlus
- CIGNA Open Access Plus
- CIGNA PPO
- First Health PPO
- Harvard Pilgrim ChoiceNet HMO
- Harvard Pilgrim ElevateHealth HMO
- Harvard Pilgrim HMO
- Harvard Pilgrim PPO
- Humana Choice POS
- Humana ChoiceCare Network PPO
- Multiplan PPO
- PHCS PPO
Tufts Health Plan
- Tufts PPO
- UHC Choice Plus POS
- UHC Navigate HMO
- UHC Navigate POS
- UHC Options PPO
Locations & DirectionsBoston Childrens Hospital, 300 Longwood Ave, Boston, MA
Take a minute to learn about Dr. John E Mayer Jr in this video.
Dr. John E Mayer Jr is similar to the following 3 Doctors near Boston, MA.