Get the facts about contraceptive implants, including how they work, the benefits and risks, and what types of doctors implant them.
- Birth Control Facts about birth control to help decide which type is right for you.
- Urinary Incontinence The symptoms and causes of urinary incontinence or urge incontinence.
- Contraceptive Implants Facts about contraceptive implants; how they work, benefits & risks.
- Endometriosis Facts about endometriosis, including symptoms.
- Hysterectomy Why a hysterectomy is performed and different surgeries available.
- IUD Types, risks & benefits of intrauterine devices (IUD) for protection.
- Infertility Facts about infertility, including the risk factors and causes.
- Menopause Facts about menopause, including the stages, symptoms, and types.
- Migraine Facts about migraine headaches and different types of migraines.
- Overactive Bladder Facts about overactive bladder (OAB): risk factors, symptoms & causes.
- View All Care Guides Prepare for your next visit with our extensive library of Care Guides
About Dr. John C Elkas
Dr. John C Elkas, MD is a Doctor primarily located in Annandale, VA, with other offices in Washington, DC and Rockville, MD (and 2 other locations). He has 25 years of experience. His specialties include Gynecologic Oncology and Obstetrics & Gynecology. Dr. Elkas is affiliated with Inova Fairfax Hospital. Dr. Elkas has received 2 awards. He speaks English.
Dr. John C Elkas has the following 2 specialties
- Gynecologic Oncology
Gynecologic oncologists specialize in cancers that occur in the female reproductive system. This includes ovarian cancer, cervical cancer and endometrial cancer, as well as the less commonly talked about female reproductive cancers like vulvar cancer, vaginal cancer and fallopian tube cancer.
In addition to diagnosing the stage of your cancer and recommending treatment options, they’ll provide care throughout your treatment and help you manage your symptoms. They’ll often work closely with a pathologist and a radiologist to properly diagnose you and determine if your cancer is shrinking or spreading throughout treatment. They’re even trained to administer chemotherapy and to perform surgery to remove cancer when necessary.
- Obstetrics & Gynecology
- Pregnancy Complications, Neoplastic
- Ovarian Cancer
- Female Genital Cancer
- Uterine Cancer (Uterine Cervical Neoplasm)
- Cervical Tumor (Cervical Intraepithelial Neoplasia, CIN)
- Hot Flashes
See the board certifications this doctor has received. Board certifications provide confidence that this doctor meets the nationally recognized standards for education, knowledge and experience.
Showing 5 of 62
I had a total hysterectomy due to really bad Endometriosis, the pain was debilitating and effecting my every day life . Dr. Elka's was the only physician willing to perform my hysterectomy due to the fact I didn't any children yet and I was only 31 at the time. He was very compassionate and truly cared about what was important to me and that was for me to have a better quality of life. I highly recommend him.
I agree with the last comment. It fascinates me that such a brilliant surgeon - who saved my life - will put up with such an uncommunicative front office staff. When I was in his care, it was like pulling teeth to get information from his office, make an urgent appointment or ask to speak with Dr. Elkas.
After initially making the appointment for my mother for which they had a six week wait time, they called me to change it a week later than originally scheduled. That was fine except the day of the appt I drove all the way from my home in WV, picked my mother up in Centreville to make a 9:30 am appt. When we arrived we were told that Dr. Elkas was out all week and that someone should have called but they DIDNT. The wait time trying to set up the appt to begin with was almost 20 minutes before I actually spoke to someone to schedule! Needless to say I will find another doctor for my 82 yr old mother!!!!
Patients' Choice Award (2008, 2009)
Patients' Choice recognition reflects the difference a particular physician has made in the lives of his/her patients. The honor is bestowed to physicians who have received near perfect scores, as voted by patients.
Compassionate Doctor Recognition (2009)
Compassionate Doctor certification is granted to physicians who treat their patients with the utmost kindness. The honor is granted based on a physician's overall and bedside manner scores.
Dr. Elkas is affiliated (can practice and admit patients) with the following hospital(s).
25 Years Experience
New York Medical College
Graduated in 1993
Dr. John C Elkas accepts the following insurance providers.
- Aetna Choice POS II
- Aetna HMO
- Aetna Managed Choice POS Open Access
- Aetna Select
- Aetna Signature Administrators PPO
Aetna Innovation Health
- Aetna VA Signature Gold HMO
- Anthem HealthKeepers HMO POS
- Anthem KeyCare PPO
BCBS Blue Card
- BCBS Blue Card PPO
- CareFirst BlueChoice Advantage
- CareFirst BluePreferred PPO
- CareFirst Maryland POS
- CIGNA HMO
- CIGNA Open Access Plus
- CIGNA PPO
Coventry Health Care
- Coventry - Bon Secours Tier 2
- Coventry - Southside Tier 2
- Coventry DE PPO
- Coventry Southern Health PPO
- Coventry Virginia - HMO
- First Health PPO
- Multiplan PPO
- PHCS PPO
- UHC Choice Plus POS
- UHC Navigate HMO
- UHC Navigate POS
- UHC Optimum Choice Preferred POS
- UHC Options PPO
- View by Location
Locations & Directions
Take a minute to learn about Dr. John C Elkas in this video.
Dr. John C Elkas is similar to the following 3 Doctors near Annandale, VA.