Get the facts about lung cancer, including how many people get it and what increases your risk for developing it.
- Birth Control Facts about birth control to help decide which type is right for you.
- Gastric Cancer Facts about Gastric Cancer, including symptoms and treatment
- Lung Cancer Get lung cancer facts, including risk for developing it.
- Metastatic Melanoma The facts about metastatic melanoma, a serious skin cancer.
- Skin Cancer Get the facts about skin cancer, including the types and symptoms.
- Triple-Negative Breast Cancer Facts about Triple-Negative Breast Cancer, including symptoms and treatment
- Type 2 Diabetes Basic facts about type 2 diabetes & risk factors to be aware of.
- Bladder Cancer Facts about Bladder Cancer, including symptoms and treatment options
- Breast Cancer Breast cancer facts, including risks for developing it.
- COPD Get the facts about chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD), including symptoms and complications.
- View All Care Guides Prepare for your next visit with our extensive library of Care Guides
About Dr. John P Farnen MD
Dr. John P Farnen, MD is a Doctor primarily located in West Union, IA, with other offices in La Crosse, WI and Harmony, MN (and 4 other locations). He has 36 years of experience. His specialties include Medical Oncology, Hematology, Internal Medicine and Hematology and Oncology. He speaks English.
Dr. John P Farnen has 7 locations
1900 South Ave
La Crosse, WI 54601
1836 South Ave Fl 2
La Crosse, WI 54601
1900 South Ave Fl 2
La Crosse, WI 54601
Book Online Now
Dr. John P Farnen has the following 4 specialties
- Medical Oncology
Think of an oncologist as your main physician for cancer care. After being diagnosed, you’ll meet regularly with an oncologist to explore and manage your treatment options, as well as monitor your condition throughout the process. Medical oncologists are extremely knowledgeable in various types of cancer treatment and can recommend the right method for the type and stage of cancer you’re facing.
They may also refer you to additional specialists throughout your care, but they will always be your home base for questions and support. It’s also worth mentioning that medical oncologists deal mostly with solid tumors while hematologists specialize in cancers that involve blood disorders, such as leukemia.
A hematology specialist is an expert in disorders of the blood, the blood forming organs and bone marrow. These doctors diagnose, treat and work to prevent diseases that affect the production of blood and its components, as well as the ability of the blood to perform its many functions, such as coagulation and carrying oxygen to the lungs and tissue.
Hematologists diagnose and treat blood disorders, such as anemia, hemophilia, leukemia, sickle cell anemia, deep vein thrombosis and pulmonary embolism.
Depending on the condition, hematology specialists may treat a patient with a blood transfusion, stem cell transplantation, bone marrow transplant, radiotherapy, anticoagulation therapy or medication.
- Internal Medicine
An internist is a physician who focuses on the diagnosis and treatment of conditions that affect the adult population—both acute and chronic.
These doctors are often who adults see as their primary physicians because they treat a broad range of illnesses that do not require surgical or specialist interventions. They also work to help a patient maintain optimal health in order to prevent the onset of disease.
In addition to treating the common cold and flu, internists also treat chronic diseases like diabetes and heart disease.
- Hematology and Oncology
An Oncologist is a physician who focuses on the diagnosis and treatment of different cancers. This physician has extensive knowledge of the different signs and symptoms of cancer, as well as the various methods of treatment.
Oncologists diagnose cancer through methods such as biopsy, endoscopy, X-ray, blood tests, ultrasound, and different forms of nuclear medicine. They treat cancer through surgery, chemotherapy, radiotherapy, hormone therapy, or antibody treatments.
If it is determined that a cancer cannot successfully be treated, oncologists then focus on providing palliative care, the use of pain medication to make a dying person more comfortable.
Dr. John P Farnen has the following 17 expertise
- Myeloproliferative Disorders
- Chronic Myeloid Leukemia
- Chronic B-Cell Lymphocytic Leukemia
- Myelodysplastic Syndromes
- Multiple Myeloma (Cancer of Plasma Cells)
- Hepatitis C
- Chronic Myelomonocytic Leukemia
- Bone Marrow Transplant
- Deep Vein Thrombosis
- Adult T-Cell Leukemia-Lymphoma
Dr. John P Farnen is Board Certified in 3 specialties
See the board certifications this doctor has received. Board certifications provide confidence that this doctor meets the nationally recognized standards for education, knowledge and experience.
Showing 1 of 1
The Best Hemo Dr!
Self-verified patient of Dr. John P Farnen - Posted on August 26th, 2012
36 Years Experience
Creighton University School Of Medicine
Graduated in 1982
Dr. John P Farnen Accepts the Following Insurance
- Aetna Choice POS II
BCBS Blue Card
- BCBS Blue Card PPO
- BCBS IL PPO
- BCBS MN Blue Cross Accord
- CIGNA Open Access Plus
- CIGNA PPO
- First Health PPO
Gundersen Health Plan
- Gundersen Health Plan Select Network
HealthPartners - MN
- HealthPartners MN CentraChoice
- HealthPartners MN Distinctions II
- Humana Choice POS
- Humana ChoiceCare Network PPO
- Multiplan PPO
- UHC Choice Plus POS
- UHC Navigate HMO
- UHC Navigate POS
- UHC Options PPO
- WPS Group
- Wellmark Alliance Select
Locations & Directions
Take a minute to learn about Dr. John P Farnen, MD - Hematology and Oncology in West Union, IA, in this video.
Dr. John P Farnen is similar to the following 4 Doctors near West Union, IA.