Type 2 Diabetes
Type 2 diabetes is a chronic disease in which your body is unable to maintain a normal blood sugar (glucose) level.
- Birth Control Facts about birth control to help decide which type is right for you.
- Type 2 Diabetes Basic facts about type 2 diabetes & risk factors to be aware of.
- COPD Get the facts about chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD), including symptoms and complications.
- Diabetic Macular Edema Facts about diabetic macular edema, including the different types.
- Flu Facts about influenza (flu), including symptoms and vaccines.
- GERD Get the facts about gastroesophageal reflux disease (GERD).
- Lupus Get the facts about lupus, including symptoms, risk factors, and the different types.
- Menopause Facts about menopause, including the stages, symptoms, and types.
- Ulcerative Colitis Facts about ulcerative colitis, including causes, signs and symptoms.
- View All Care Guides Prepare for your next visit with our extensive library of Care Guides
About Dr. John C Gunnell
Dr. John C Gunnell, MD is a Doctor primarily located in Glendale, CA. He has 50 years of experience. His specialties include Hematology & Oncology and Internal Medicine. Dr. Gunnell is affiliated with Huntington Hospital and Northridge Hospital Medical Center. Dr. Gunnell has received 2 awards. He speaks English.
Dr. John C Gunnell has the following 2 specialties
- Hematology & Oncology
- Internal Medicine
An internist is a physician who focuses on the diagnosis and treatment of conditions that affect the adult population—both acute and chronic.
These doctors are often who adults see as their primary physicians because they treat a broad range of illnesses that do not require surgical or specialist interventions. They also work to help a patient maintain optimal health in order to prevent the onset of disease.
In addition to treating the common cold and flu, internists also treat chronic diseases like diabetes and heart disease.
- Hodgkin's Lymphoma
- Bone Marrow Transplant
Showing 5 of 12
I saw Dr Gunnell for 10 years, I trusted what he said about my blood condition and that it was being treated correctly I had to change to insurance, my new Dr has run a battery of tests on me ( which Gunnell never did in the 10 years), told me there IS an alternative medicine I could be taking... I now have cirrhosis of the liver because of a medication that I had NO business taking, that Dr Gunnell SWORE I had to take. I will be treated and all will be fine, the point is I don't think he should be practicing any longer, I think he's too complacent and is putting people's lives at risk.
Dr. Gunnell is the most caring Dr. I've ever met. He is willing to fight tooth and nail for anything that the Insurance companies won't approve. He has wonderful bedside manner and Is exidingly knowledgable on all of the cutting edge treatments. I would recommend him highly to anyone I know!!! Thanks DR.!!!
I wish all my physicians were like Dr. Gunnell. He fully explains every test, every procedure, diagnosis, and possible treatment option in total detail, making notes as needed, and never talks down to you. With other doctors I sometimes feel that they are withholding information in order to simplify their explanations, but Dr. Gunnell treats his patients with respect. He is also extremely intelligent, personable, engaged, and does an excellent job of managing my chronic illness. I highly recommend him.
Under Dr. Gunnells "care" I went from Stage 1 to Stage IV. He steadfastly refused to give me the modern, more effective medicines. Always stating the "insurance doesn't like to pay for that". When I found the Stage IV lumps all on my own, he refused to order a scan to see the extent. I had to force it, that is what found the extensive metastasis. He had refused to order a single scan the entire 5 years I saw him, always citing the insurance issue. well I have the same insurance now and a new doctor and there is NO problem getting decent care now..but it's too late. Dr. Gunnell's horrid treatment concerns cost me my life.
Compassionate Doctor Recognition (2011)
Compassionate Doctor certification is granted to physicians who treat their patients with the utmost kindness. The honor is granted based on a physician's overall and bedside manner scores.
Patients' Choice Award (2011)
Patients' Choice recognition reflects the difference a particular physician has made in the lives of his/her patients. The honor is bestowed to physicians who have received near perfect scores, as voted by patients.
Dr. Gunnell is affiliated (can practice and admit patients) with the following hospital(s).
50 Years Experience
Columbia University College Of Physicians And Surgeons
Graduated in 1968
University Of Maryland Medical System
Dr. John C Gunnell accepts the following insurance providers.
- Aetna Choice POS II
- Aetna HMO
- Aetna HMO Deductible Plan CA only
- Aetna Managed Choice POS Open Access
- Aetna Savings Plus of CA
- Aetna Signature Administrators PPO
BCBS Blue Card
- BCBS Blue Card PPO
Blue Cross California
- BC CA California Care Small Group HMO
- Blue Cross CA PPO Prudent Buyer Large Group
- Blue Cross CA Select Plus HMO
- Blue Cross CA Vivity
Blue Shield California
- BS CA Platinum 90 PPO
- Blue Shield CA Access Plus HMO
- Blue Shield CA Access Plus Savenet
- Blue Shield CA Bronze 60 PPO SHOP
- Blue Shield CA Bronze Full PPO 4500
- Blue Shield CA Local Access Plus HMO
- Blue Shield CA PPO
- Blue Shield CA Platinum Access+ HMO 25
- Blue Shield CA Platinum Local Access + HMO 25
- Blue Shield CA Silver 70 PPO
- CIGNA HMO
- CIGNA LocalPlus
- CIGNA Open Access Plus
- CIGNA PPO
- CIGNA Southern CA Value
- Cigna Southern CA Select
- First Health PPO
- Health Net CA CommunityCare Network HMO
- Health Net CA HMO Employer Group
- Health Net CA HMO SmartCare
- Health Net CA HMO Whole Care Network
- Health Net SmartCare Large Group
- Health Net SmartCare Small Group
- Humana Choice POS
LA Care Health
- Multiplan PPO
- PHCS PPO Kaiser
- UHC SignatureValue Flex1
- UHC SignatureValue Flex2
- UHC SignatureValue Focus
- UHC West SignatureValue Alliance
- UHC West SignatureValue HMO
- UHC Choice Plus POS
- UHC Navigate HMO
- UHC Navigate POS
- UHC Options PPO
- View by Location
Locations & DirectionsWestern Hematology & Oncology, 435 Arden Ave Ste 520, Glendale, CA
Take a minute to learn about Dr. John C Gunnell in this video.
Dr. John C Gunnell is similar to the following 3 Doctors near Glendale, CA.