Type 2 Diabetes
Type 2 diabetes is a chronic disease in which your body is unable to maintain a normal blood sugar (glucose) level.
- Type 2 Diabetes Basic facts about type 2 diabetes & risk factors to be aware of.
- Asthma More than 22 million Americans of all ages have asthma. Prepare to talk to your doctor about symptoms, diagnosis and treatment options.
- Autism Spectrum Disorder Get the facts about Autism Spectrum Disorder (ASD).
- Childhood Asthma Childhood asthma facts, including causes, symptoms & complications.
- Grass Pollen Allergy Get the facts about grass pollen Allergy.
- Home Allergies Facts about indoor allergies, including symptoms & common allergens.
- Persistent Asthma Facts about persistent asthma, including the criteria for diagnosis.
- Pregnancy Facts about pregnancy, including symptoms you can expect to have.
- Ragweed Allergy Ragweed allergy facts: symptoms, how to avoid it, trigger foods.
- Seasonal Allergies Facts about seasonal allergies, the different types and the symptoms.
- View All Care Guides Prepare for your next visit with our extensive library of Care Guides
About Dr. John R Hertenstein MD
Dr. John R Hertenstein has the following 1 specialty
A pediatrician is a doctor who specializes in the regular care of children, as well as the diagnosis and treatment of illness in children. Young patients are often more complicated to treat because they are still growing and developing.
While pediatricians may sub-specialize in specific therapy areas like oncology, surgery, ophthalmology, and anesthesiology, in general, pediatricians provide services like vaccinations, health exams, and treatment of common ailments and injuries. In addition, pediatricians are trained to handle the complex emotional and behavioral issues faced by children, especially during puberty.
Pediatricians normally see their patients from birth until the age of 18, although some may agree to treat patients into their early 20s, if requested.
Dr. John R Hertenstein has the following 5 expertise
- Pediatric Diabetes
Dr. John R Hertenstein is Board Certified in 1 specialty
See the board certifications this doctor has received. Board certifications provide confidence that this doctor meets the nationally recognized standards for education, knowledge and experience.
Showing 5 of 10
17 years and counting
Self-verified patient of Dr. John R Hertenstein - Posted on August 14th, 2018
My children will not see another doctor in this practice--they insist on seeing Dr. John. We have never had a bad experience, and we always appreciate his honesty. We also like the fact that he does not over-prescribe antibiotics, and he is careful in his diagnoses. When our one year old son was misdiagnosed by another doctor in the practice, Dr. John had him in the hospital for pneumonia within 20 minutes of our emergency follow up visit. He saved his life. When our infant daughter was not gaining weight, he ordered several tests at Children's Mercy as we worked together to rule out any issues. He handled both health matters efficiently and compassionately. He is always available and always happy to see my children and me and listen to our concerns. We hope he doesn't retire any time soon!
Choose a different Dr.
Self-verified patient of Dr. John R Hertenstein - Posted on June 28th, 2018
Self-verified patient of Dr. John R Hertenstein - Posted on November 16th, 2015
ive had 5 appointments, ive never had a bad experience there, but I also don't need to be handled with baby gloves when talking about my kid with the doc. I like that there's over 30 yrs of experience, that's what matters to me. I did have a rude nurse once, but that's on her, I don't care if she was having a bad day, i wont let it ruin mine. Since im more of a get to the point kind of person, I guess im comfortable with the bedside manner that some other people may complain about. People need to stop complaining about not being treated like royalty. its a doctors office- not a restaurant.
Self-verified patient of Dr. John R Hertenstein - Posted on May 1st, 2015
Self-verified patient of Dr. John R Hertenstein - Posted on February 1st, 2014
This doctor has the worst attitude and is extremely unprofessional! He was rude, rough with my child, threw his equipment, threw our blank script as us, didn't ask us any questions, and stormed out as he told us to go home and take care of our sick child! Unbelievable! Not to mention his nurse told me my son wasn't sick and didn't have a fever after using a new thermometer she was wrong! Who tells a mother she is wrong about her sons own well being!! Worst experience and I will not be going back or recommending this office!
Childrens Mercy Hospital
Dr. John R Hertenstein Accepts the Following Insurance
- Aetna Choice POS II
- Aetna HMO
- Aetna Managed Choice POS Open Access
- Aetna Signature Administrators PPO
- Anthem Blue Access PPO
- Anthem MO Blue Preferred Options
- Anthem MO Direct Access w/HSA
- BCBS IL PPO
BCBS Kansas City
- BCBS KC Preferred Care Blue PPO
- CIGNA HMO
- CIGNA Open Access Plus
- CIGNA PPO
- Cigna MISSOURI NET - NET POS Seamless
Coventry Health Care
- Coventry KS PPO
- Coventry MO PPO
- Coventry OA EPO Exchange - KS/MO
- CoventryOne PPO Network
- First Health PPO
- Humana Choice POS
- Humana ChoiceCare Network PPO
- Humana Preferred PPO
- Multiplan PPO
- PHCS PPO
- UHC Choice Plus POS
- UHC Navigate HMO
- UHC Navigate POS
- UHC Options PPO
More about Dr. John R Hertenstein
Dr. Hertenstein received his Doctor of Medicine degree from Saint Louis University. He then completed a three year residency in Pediatrics at Childrens Mercy Hospital in Kansas City. Board certified in Pediatrics and a member of the American Academy of Pediatrics, Dr. Hertenstein founded Health Care for Children in 1981.
Locations & DirectionsHEALTH CARE FOR CHILDREN, 9051 NE 81st Ter Ste 100, Kansas City, MO
Dr. John R Hertenstein is similar to the following 4 Doctors near Kansas City, MO.