Get the facts about birth control so you can decide which type is right for you.
- Birth Control Facts about birth control to help decide which type is right for you.
- Type 2 Diabetes Basic facts about type 2 diabetes & risk factors to be aware of.
- Arrhythmia Facts about arrythmia, inclding the types, symptoms and causes.
- Atrial Fibrillation Facts about atrial fibrillation, including symptoms and risk factors.
- COPD Get the facts about chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD), including symptoms and complications.
- Coronary Artery Angioplasty with Stent Coronary artery angioplasty with stent facts, including who needs it.
- Coronary Heart Disease Get the facts about coronary heart disease.
- Deep Vein Thrombosis Facts about deep vein thrombosis (DVT), including symptoms & causes.
- Diabetic Macular Edema Facts about diabetic macular edema, including the different types.
- Erectile Dysfunction Facts about erectile dysfunction (ED), including causes.
- View All Care Guides Prepare for your next visit with our extensive library of Care Guides
Dr. John J Cogan has the following 3 specialties
- Cardiovascular Disease
- Internal Medicine
An internist is a physician who focuses on the diagnosis and treatment of conditions that affect the adult population—both acute and chronic.
These doctors are often who adults see as their primary physicians because they treat a broad range of illnesses that do not require surgical or specialist interventions. They also work to help a patient maintain optimal health in order to prevent the onset of disease.
In addition to treating the common cold and flu, internists also treat chronic diseases like diabetes and heart disease.
Cardiologists are doctors who specialize in the diagnosis, prevention and treatment of conditions related to the heart and blood vessels.
A patient may be referred to a cardiologist if he experiences symptoms like chest pains, shortness of breath, dizziness, or high blood pressure. The physician will then evaluate your symptoms, take your health and family history and your weight. The cardiologist may order additional diagnostic tests, such as an echocardiogram, X-ray or blood tests. If necessary, the cardiologist may also call for a cardiac catheterization - a procedure in which a small tube is inserted into or near the heart that can take pictures of the heart's activity, or relieve blockage.
Once determining whether there is a heart condition, a cardiologist will treat a patient through cholesterol management, cardiac rehabilitation, and fitness. If surgical intervention is required, like open-heart surgery, a cardiologist will make that determination, but a cardiothoracic surgeon will perform the procedure.
- High Blood Pressure (Hypertension)
- High Cholesterol (Hypercholesterolemia)
- Heart Block
- Unstable Angina
- Acute Coronary Syndrome (ACS)
See the board certifications this doctor has received. Board certifications provide confidence that this doctor meets the nationally recognized standards for education, knowledge and experience.
Showing 5 of 16
Dr. Cogan was highly recommended by my internist/family doc and my hematologist, after symptoms began of shortness of breath and edema. During the angiogram (I was awake and locally anesthetized, Dr. Cogan told me the results (no significant blockage of heart arteries) with enthusiasm and relief in his voice. (He congratulated me.) One member of his staff was not very efficient (for the follow up consultation), for which Dr. Cogan apologized after coming out himself to get me from the waiting room. As I continue to be tested for what looks like a rare disease, I will keep Dr. Cogan on my team and be confident to use him again, as need be.
I have been with this man for going on 10 years now. He was always the best. Until this week. He basically said he was too busy for me, that he and Lisa (his new assistant)worked as a team. My diagnoses were negated, compared to other patients of his and I felt like I was a nuisance; he was inconsiderate and nasty--he then proceeded to walk out the door and slammed it. I'm looking for a new cardiologist but midstream with a new pacemaker coming up, I'll have to wait. I've been depressed ever since. I see several specialists and he was always my favorite. He changed that. All because I asked for him specifically that day. I'd hoped Queens had a Risk Management Team but guess not.
Oregon Health & Science University
Dr. John J Cogan accepts the following insurance providers.
- Aetna Choice POS II
- Aetna Signature Administrators PPO
BCBS Blue Card
- BCBS Blue Card PPO
- CIGNA Open Access Plus
- CIGNA PPO
- First Health PPO
- HMSA Preferred Provider Comp Med
- Humana Choice POS
- UHC Choice Plus POS
- UHC Navigate POS
- UHC Options PPO
- View by Locationttcqeayetrwczwezdueawsrsbdyr
Locations & DirectionsIsland Cardiology, 1380 Lusitana St Ste 913, Honolulu, HI
Take a minute to learn about Dr. John J Cogan in this video.
Dr. John J Cogan is similar to the following 3 Doctors near Honolulu, HI.