Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD), including the different types and who gets them.
- Bipolar Disorder Facts about bipolar disorder, including different types and symptoms.
- ADHD Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD), including the different types and who gets them.
- Adult ADHD Facts about attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD) in adults.
- Alzheimer's Disease Facts about Alzheimer’s Disease, including the symptoms and stages.
- Autism Spectrum Disorder Get the facts about Autism Spectrum Disorder (ASD).
- Chronic Pain Facts about chronic pain, including body parts most commonly affected.
- Clinical Depression Clinical depression facts; symptoms & other depressive disorders.
- Depression Facts about depression, including the symptoms of the condition.
- Diabetic Neuropathy Facts about diabetic neuropathy, including the symptoms and doctors.
- Epilepsy Facts about epilepsy, including different types, symptoms and causes.
- View All Care Guides Prepare for your next visit with our extensive library of Care Guides
About Dr. John J Kohut
Dr. John J Kohut, MD is a Doctor primarily located in San Bernardino, CA. He has 53 years of experience. His specialties include Psychiatry and Neurology. Dr. Kohut is affiliated with Ballard Rehabilitation Hospital and Loma Linda University Medical Center East Campus. Dr. Kohut has received 3 awards. He speaks English.
Dr. John J Kohut has the following 2 specialties
A psychiatrist is a doctor with specific training in the diagnosis and treatment of mental illness.
He or she can not only provide the counseling necessary to both diagnose and treat a patient, but can also prescribe medication when needed. In some cases, a psychiatrist will only provide the medication and the counseling will be provided by another healthcare specialist, like a certified counselor or psychologist.
Like other doctors, psychiatrists employ diagnostic tools like CT scans and MRI in order to observe the structure and function of a patient's brain.
Once a diagnosis is made, these specialists may use behavior or cognitive therapy in order to address the patient's condition, or a multitude of other types of therapy, in conjunction with or in place of medication.
A neurologist is a physician who diagnoses and treats disorders of the nervous system which is comprised of the brain, spinal cord and nerves. These doctors do not perform surgery, but refer patients to neurological surgeons when they determine that surgical intervention is necessary.
Some of the conditions that neurologists diagnose and treat are epilepsy, aneurysms, hydrocephalus, Parkinson's disease, multiple sclerosis, stroke, spinal disc herniation, and spinal disease.
In addition to using diagnostic tests like MRI, CT scans, EEG and EMG, neurologists also employ neurological testing to gauge muscle strength and movement, balance, reflexes, sensation, memory, speech, and other cognitive abilities.
Dr. John J Kohut has the following 12 expertise
- Sleep Disorders
- Mood Disorders
- Mental Illness
- Depressive Disorder
- Attention-Deficit/Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD)
- Attention Deficit Disorder (ADD) / Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD)
- Personality Disorder
- Manic Depressive Disorder
- Bipolar Disorder
Dr. John J Kohut has 1 board certified specialty
See the board certifications this doctor has received. Board certifications provide confidence that this doctor meets the nationally recognized standards for education, knowledge and experience
Dr. John J Kohut is Board Certified in 1 specialty
See the board certifications this doctor has received. Board certifications provide confidence that this doctor meets the nationally recognized standards for education, knowledge and experience.
Showing 5 of 24
I started seeing Dr Kohut after he was referred to me by my primary physician. He has been fantastic. I had seen several bad doctors over the last 18 years and he was the only one who really took the time to get to know me. He tested me to see where I am at mentally and actually rediagnosed my issues. So now I am actually getting the right treatment and hopefully will be able to find my "normal". I have had some issues with staff but nothing huge. Their answering service is horrible. I love how he involves my wife in my appointment. HE wants to hear from others what my issues are not just what I think they are. He has me seeing a great therapist and she has really been helping me. I would recommend Dr Kohut to anyone who wants a doctor who actually cares about them.
I have been going to Dr. Kohut and his team for over 8 years. He is the best in his field and has the most knowledge - I know as I have been to a number of others. Another reviewer said they sell you things? They don't sell ANYTHING there! LOL A number of people I know have been seeing him for much longer than I have. Dr. Kohut is not pushy; in fact, he listens to your concerns and try's to find the right formula for you. He always provides free samples, if available, so you don't have to shell the out of pocket expense if it doesn't work. If you are at a dead end and need a really good doctor...Kohut is the one. Now the ONLY DOWNFALL: the phone answering system! I have complained more than 20 times but I have learned the staffs schedule. Only call between 1030 AM - 2:30 PM to speak to a real Kohut staff person. Any other time you will get a live person who takes a message - this is their answering service and it is USELESS to leave a message with these people. You WILL NOT, I repeat, you will not receive a call back. Sad to say...but true. Oh also, if Kohut tells you his staff will call you later on that day to schedule a follow-up appointment, they won't. You have to call back at the times I stated above. The girls are extremely busy and short handed...have been all the years I have been there. I still give Kohut 5 stars though...he is the best!
On-Time Doctor Award (2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018)
Vitals On-Time + Promptness Award recognizes doctors with consistent high ratings for timeliness of appointments. The honor is granted based on a physician's overall and promptness scores.
Patients' Choice Award (2013, 2014, 2017, 2018)
Patients' Choice recognition reflects the difference a particular physician has made in the lives of his/her patients. The honor is bestowed to physicians who have received near perfect scores, as voted by patients.
Compassionate Doctor Recognition (2013, 2015, 2016)
Compassionate Doctor certification is granted to physicians who treat their patients with the utmost kindness. The honor is granted based on a physician's overall and bedside manner scores.
Dr. Kohut is affiliated (can practice and admit patients) with the following hospital(s).
53 Years Experience
Albany Medical College
Graduated in 1965
Albany Medical Center
Dr. John J Kohut accepts the following insurance providers.
- Aetna Choice POS II
- Aetna HMO
- Aetna HMO Deductible Plan CA only
- Aetna Managed Choice POS Open Access
- Aetna Savings Plus of CA
- Aetna Signature Administrators PPO
- Aetna Whole Health PrimeCare HMO CA
- Aetna Whole Health PrimeCare OAMC CA
BCBS Blue Card
- BCBS Blue Card PPO
Blue Cross California
- BC CA California Care Small Group HMO
- Blue Cross CA PPO Prudent Buyer Small Group
- Blue Cross CA California Care Large Group HMO
- Blue Cross CA PPO Prudent Buyer Individual
- Blue Cross CA PPO Prudent Buyer Large Group
- Blue Cross CA Select PPO
- Blue Cross CA Select Plus HMO
Blue Shield California
- Blue Shield CA Access Plus HMO
- Blue Shield CA Platinum Access+ HMO 25
- CIGNA HMO
- CIGNA LocalPlus
- CIGNA Open Access Plus
- CIGNA PPO
- CIGNA Southern CA Value
- Health Net CA HMO Employer Group
- Health Net CA HMO Whole Care Network
- Health Net CA Individual and Family PPO
- Health Net CA PPO
- Humana Choice POS
- Molina Mrktplace CA
- Multiplan PPO
- UHC SignatureValue Flex1
- UHC SignatureValue Flex2
- UHC SignatureValue Flex3
- UHC SignatureValue Focus
- UHC West SignatureValue Alliance
- UHC West SignatureValue HMO
- UHC Navigate HMO
- UHC Navigate POS
- UHC Options PPO
Locations & DirectionsKohut Psychiatric Medical Group, 1800 Medical Center Dr Ste 300, San Bernardino, CA
Dr. John J Kohut is similar to the following 3 Doctors near San Bernardino, CA.