Get the facts about chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD), including symptoms and complications.
- Birth Control Facts about birth control to help decide which type is right for you.
- Type 2 Diabetes Basic facts about type 2 diabetes & risk factors to be aware of.
- COPD Get the facts about chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD), including symptoms and complications.
- Diabetic Macular Edema Facts about diabetic macular edema, including the different types.
- Flu Facts about influenza (flu), including symptoms and vaccines.
- GERD Get the facts about gastroesophageal reflux disease (GERD).
- Lupus Get the facts about lupus, including symptoms, risk factors, and the different types.
- Menopause Facts about menopause, including the stages, symptoms, and types.
- Ulcerative Colitis Facts about ulcerative colitis, including causes, signs and symptoms.
- View All Care Guides Prepare for your next visit with our extensive library of Care Guides
About Dr. John M Hewitt
Dr. John M Hewitt, MD is a Doctor primarily located in Bakersfield, CA. He has 43 years of experience. His specialties include Internal Medicine. Dr. Hewitt is affiliated with Mercy Hospital D / P SNF, San Joaquin Community Hospital and Bakersfield Memorial Hospital. Dr. Hewitt has received 2 awards. He speaks English.
Dr. John M Hewitt has the following 1 specialty
- Internal Medicine
An internist is a physician who focuses on the diagnosis and treatment of conditions that affect the adult population—both acute and chronic.
These doctors are often who adults see as their primary physicians because they treat a broad range of illnesses that do not require surgical or specialist interventions. They also work to help a patient maintain optimal health in order to prevent the onset of disease.
In addition to treating the common cold and flu, internists also treat chronic diseases like diabetes and heart disease.
- Weight Loss
Showing 5 of 10
This Dr assumed I was there for pain meds, and did not take me seriously. I don't need pain meds, I have a pain Dr . that I can see when I need to. I am autoimmune and my immune system has gone haywire. I have a bacterial infection in my mouth that needs to be addressed. The DR. looked it up and said oh well its a good bacteria so we wont worry about it. ... well yes it is a good bacteria except for the fact that my immune system is over producing that bacteria and causing damage in my mouth and throat. It got so bad that I lost my voice and it scared my vocal cords so could no longer speak and had to have surgery to correct it. That was over a year ago, and the problem is just not going to be solved. Good bacteria and bad bacteria are both harmful if overproduced. . If he had looked in my mouth he would have seen what was goin on , but he didn't. I need more time to fill him in on my history, since he had no idea what Iv been through this far.
Dr. Hewitt is the best! I can get in and out in less than an hour with all of my questions answered. The staff is friendly and courteous. The office is beautifully decorated with TVs in every room. Dr. Hewitt is caring, funny, and has a pleasant bedside manner.
Doctor and interns are very polite and timely. The office is wonderfully clean and modern. Doctor and interns use computer systems to enter data immediately and can send prescriptions electronically, which is convenient.Office personnel are very nice and helpful. However, when I call to leave a message about things I need (referral, refills, etc.), I always leave my phone number at the beginning of the message. They complete the request but never bother to call me back to tell me they did, so I don't know to pick up prescriptions timely and get frustrated.Doctor and interns are thorough with questions but act like they're afraid to touch you. No one even listened to my breathing when I had a significant upper respiratory infection. The antibiotics given were an ineffective one day dose, so I had to go to a specialist. My ENT doctor immediately prescribed a 10-day antibiotic - the same one I'd told the doctor I needed. The last time I was sick I didn't trust them, so I went to the Northwest Urgent Care where I got far better service, X-ray to show I had a sinus infection when I thought it was bronchitis, blood work and the right antibiotics.
Patients' Choice Award (2016)
Patients' Choice recognition reflects the difference a particular physician has made in the lives of his/her patients. The honor is bestowed to physicians who have received near perfect scores, as voted by patients.
Compassionate Doctor Recognition (2015)
Compassionate Doctor certification is granted to physicians who treat their patients with the utmost kindness. The honor is granted based on a physician's overall and bedside manner scores.
Dr. Hewitt is affiliated (can practice and admit patients) with the following hospital(s).
43 Years Experience
University Of Newcastle
Graduated in 1975
R E Thomason General Hospital
Dr. John M Hewitt accepts the following insurance providers.
- Aetna Choice POS II
- Aetna Managed Choice POS Open Access
- Aetna Signature Administrators PPO
BCBS Blue Card
- BCBS Blue Card PPO
Blue Cross California
- Blue Cross CA PPO Prudent Buyer Small Group
- Blue Cross CA PPO Prudent Buyer Individual
- Blue Cross CA PPO Prudent Buyer Large Group
Blue Shield California
- BS CA Platinum 90 PPO
- Blue Shield CA Bronze 60 PPO SHOP
- Blue Shield CA Bronze Full PPO 4500
- Blue Shield CA PPO
- Blue Shield CA Silver 70 PPO
- CIGNA Open Access Plus
- CIGNA PPO
- First Health PPO
- Health Net CA HMO Employer Group
- Health Net CA Individual and Family PPO
- Health Net CA PPO
- Health Net EPO - PureCare One Small Business
- Health Net PureCare HSP Individual and Family Plans
- Humana Choice POS
- Multiplan PPO
- PHCS PPO
- PHCS PPO Kaiser
- UHC Choice Plus POS
- UHC Navigate HMO
- UHC Navigate POS
- UHC Options PPO
- View by Location
Locations & DirectionsWestchester Eye Medical Clinic Inc, 1701 26th St, Bakersfield, CA
Dr. John M Hewitt is similar to the following 3 Doctors near Bakersfield, CA.