Type 2 Diabetes
Type 2 diabetes is a chronic disease in which your body is unable to maintain a normal blood sugar (glucose) level.
- Birth Control Facts about birth control to help decide which type is right for you.
- Lung Cancer Get lung cancer facts, including risk for developing it.
- Type 2 Diabetes Basic facts about type 2 diabetes & risk factors to be aware of.
- Arrhythmia Facts about arrythmia, inclding the types, symptoms and causes.
- Atrial Fibrillation Facts about atrial fibrillation, including symptoms and risk factors.
- COPD Get the facts about chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD), including symptoms and complications.
- Chemotherapy A breakdown of the types of chemotherapy & potential side effects.
- Coronary Artery Angioplasty with Stent Coronary artery angioplasty with stent facts, including who needs it.
- Coronary Heart Disease Get the facts about coronary heart disease.
- Deep Vein Thrombosis Facts about deep vein thrombosis (DVT), including symptoms & causes.
- View All Care Guides Prepare for your next visit with our extensive library of Care Guides
About Dr. John M Reitano
Dr. John M Reitano, MD is a Doctor primarily located in Stony Brook, NY. He has 40 years of experience. His specialties include Internal Medicine, Cardiovascular Disease and Nuclear Cardiology. Dr. Reitano is affiliated with Stonybrook University Hospital, John T Mather Memorial Hospital and St John's Episcopal Hospital-South Shore. Dr. Reitano has received 2 awards. He speaks English.
Dr. John M Reitano has the following 3 specialties
- Internal Medicine
An internist is a physician who focuses on the diagnosis and treatment of conditions that affect the adult population—both acute and chronic.
These doctors are often who adults see as their primary physicians because they treat a broad range of illnesses that do not require surgical or specialist interventions. They also work to help a patient maintain optimal health in order to prevent the onset of disease.
In addition to treating the common cold and flu, internists also treat chronic diseases like diabetes and heart disease.
- Cardiovascular Disease
- Nuclear Cardiology
Rooted in general cardiology, nuclear cardiologists specialize in a specific, non-invasive imaging technique that's used to diagnose heart disease, evaluate how well your heart is pumping blood, or determine the size and place of a past heart attack.
They’re able to take pictures and video of your heart during stress tests, and in resting states, that allow them to diagnose patients as well as recommended treatments, medication and additional testing that might be needed. They often work closely with radiologists to assess the damage of a past heart attack or the patient's risk for future heart attacks.
Dr. John M Reitano has the following 23 expertise
- Renovascular Hypertension
- Congenital Heart Disease (Patent Ductus Arteriosus)
- Chest Pain (Angina)
- Heart Attack
- Heart Valve Diseases
- Myocardial Infarction
- Heart Block
- Heart Diseases
- Acute Coronary Syndrome (ACS)
- Blood Clot
- Fainting (Syncope)
- Atrial Fibrillation
- High Cholesterol
- Heart Failure
- Coronary Disease
- Unstable Angina
- Stress Echocardiography
Dr. John M Reitano is Board Certified in 2 specialties
See the board certifications this doctor has received. Board certifications provide confidence that this doctor meets the nationally recognized standards for education, knowledge and experience.
Showing 5 of 14
I have been a patient of Dr. Reitano for almost 20 years. He is very caring and very knowledgeable and professional. He always returns phone calls and talks to patients in a kind and down to earth manner. Makes sure patients have a thorough understanding of their condition and treatment options. I highly recommend him to anyone in need of cardiac care! If only there were more doctors like him!
He is extremely caring. He really makes you feel as though you are important. Excellent.
Patients' Choice Award (2013, 2014, 2015)
Patients' Choice recognition reflects the difference a particular physician has made in the lives of his/her patients. The honor is bestowed to physicians who have received near perfect scores, as voted by patients.
Compassionate Doctor Recognition (2009, 2013, 2014)
Compassionate Doctor certification is granted to physicians who treat their patients with the utmost kindness. The honor is granted based on a physician's overall and bedside manner scores.
Dr. Reitano is affiliated (can practice and admit patients) with the following hospital(s).
40 Years Experience
New York University School Of Medicine
Graduated in 1978
Dr. John M Reitano accepts the following insurance providers.
- UHC Choice Plus POS
- UHC Navigate POS
Locations & DirectionsJohn P Dervan Md, 1320 Stony Brook Rd Ste 100, Stony Brook, NY
Take a minute to learn about Dr. John M Reitano in this video.
Dr. John M Reitano is similar to the following 3 Doctors near Stony Brook, NY.