Type 2 Diabetes
Type 2 diabetes is a chronic disease in which your body is unable to maintain a normal blood sugar (glucose) level.
- Birth Control Facts about birth control to help decide which type is right for you.
- Type 2 Diabetes Basic facts about type 2 diabetes & risk factors to be aware of.
- COPD Get the facts about chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD), including symptoms and complications.
- Diabetic Macular Edema Facts about diabetic macular edema, including the different types.
- Flu Facts about influenza (flu), including symptoms and vaccines.
- GERD Get the facts about gastroesophageal reflux disease (GERD).
- Lupus Get the facts about lupus, including symptoms, risk factors, and the different types.
- Menopause Facts about menopause, including the stages, symptoms, and types.
- Ulcerative Colitis Facts about ulcerative colitis, including causes, signs and symptoms.
- View All Care Guides Prepare for your next visit with our extensive library of Care Guides
Dr. John M Pepe has the following 2 specialties
A nephrologist is a physician who is specially trained to diagnose and treat conditions affecting the kidneys or renal system.
A nephrologist will determine through urine analysis, blood test, X-ray, sonogram, or kidney biopsy how well the kidneys are functioning and will then prescribe a special diet and exercise program, medication or dialysis - a process by which a machine filters the blood when the kidney is no longer capable of doing so.
- Internal Medicine
An internist is a physician who focuses on the diagnosis and treatment of conditions that affect the adult population—both acute and chronic.
These doctors are often who adults see as their primary physicians because they treat a broad range of illnesses that do not require surgical or specialist interventions. They also work to help a patient maintain optimal health in order to prevent the onset of disease.
In addition to treating the common cold and flu, internists also treat chronic diseases like diabetes and heart disease.
Dr. John M Pepe has the following 8 expertise
- Chronic Kidney Disease (CKD)
- Kidney Biopsy
- Chronic Renal Disease
- End Stage Renal Disease (ESRD)
- Kidney Transplant (Renal Transplant)
Showing 5 of 13
Dr. Pepe is a top notch nephrologist who truly cares about his patients. The wait time is sometimes insanely long (I have waited over 2 hours on some occasions) which can get a little annoying, and he does often do several things at once, but he is a tremendously talented doctor who will do whatever it takes to diagnos and treat your condition. He is ALWAYS available (which is part of the reason for long wait times), always takes your call, gives out his personal cell number, and is not satisfied until he is certain you are on the road to recovery. I've been a patient for over 20 years, and I can honestly say without Dr. pepes help and guidance and wisdom and dedication, I would not be here today to write this. If you need a highly skilled nephrologist, and dont mind waiting and at times having your appointment interupted, then there is no better. If you are more concerned with getting in and out in a hurry, then Dr. Pepe is NOT your man. Bottom line, youo will be hard pressed to find a better DOCTOR than Dr. Pepe.
Dr. Pepe is top in his feild and has been rated so by the NY Times severl years in a row. He is an amazing doctor. The wait time is long, but that is only because he gives each patient a lot pf personal one on one time. He is couteous and goes above and beyond for each of his patients. Many docotrs will only spend a few minutes with you and send you on your way without even answering all of your concerns or questions. Dr. Pepe really cares and will give you all the time you need with him. He even gives out his personal cell phone number when needed. He works 7 days a week to ensure his patients get the best care.
Castle Connolly Top Doctors: New York Metro Area (2017)
Castle Connolly Top Doctors: New York Metro Area™ are specialists and primary care physicians who are highly recommended by their peers and other healthcare professionals. The Castle Connolly research staff reviews both professional qualifications and professional reputation prior to Top Doctor status being awarded. This recognition identifies the top physicians in the New York Metro Area who possess a high level of medical skill and expertise.
Dr. Pepe is affiliated (can practice and admit patients) with the following hospital(s).
43 Years Experience
Philadelphia College Of Osteopathic Medicine
Graduated in 1975
U S Department Of Veterans Affairs
Dr. John M Pepe accepts the following insurance providers.
- Aetna Choice POS II
- Aetna Elect Choice EPO
- Aetna HMO
- Aetna Managed Choice POS Open Access
- Aetna NYC Community Plan
- Aetna Signature Administrators PPO
BCBS Blue Card
- BCBS Blue Card PPO
Capital District Physicians Health Plan
- CDPHP New York State of Health - Small Business
- CDPHP PPO
- CIGNA HMO
- CIGNA Open Access Plus
- CIGNA PPO
- Connecticare Flex Connecticut
- Empire Blue Priority EPO
- Empire HMO
- Empire PPO
- Empire Prism EPO Blue Priority
- First Health PPO
HIP of NY
- Emblem HIP Select PPO
- Healthfirst NY HMO ABCD
- Horizon BCBS OMNIA - TIER1
- Horizon Direct Access
- Horizon HMO
- Horizon OMNIA
- Horizon POS
- Horizon PPO
- Humana Choice POS
- Humana ChoiceCare Network PPO
MVP Health Plan
- MVP Preferred PPO
- Multiplan PPO
- PHCS PPO
- Oxford Freedom
- UHC Choice Plus POS
- UHC Navigate HMO
- UHC Navigate POS
- UHC Options PPO
Locations & DirectionsAcademic Dermatology, 1550 Richmond Ave Ste 205, Staten Island, NY
Dr. John M Pepe is similar to the following 3 Doctors near Staten Island, NY.