Get the facts about attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD) in adults, including the different types and symptoms of each.
- Bipolar Disorder Facts about bipolar disorder, including different types and symptoms.
- Adult ADHD Facts about attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD) in adults.
- Alzheimer's Disease Facts about Alzheimer’s Disease, including the symptoms and stages.
- Autism Spectrum Disorder Get the facts about Autism Spectrum Disorder (ASD).
- Chronic Pain Facts about chronic pain, including body parts most commonly affected.
- Clinical Depression Clinical depression facts; symptoms & other depressive disorders.
- Depression Facts about depression, including the symptoms of the condition.
- Diabetic Neuropathy Facts about diabetic neuropathy, including the symptoms and doctors.
- Epilepsy Facts about epilepsy, including different types, symptoms and causes.
- Erectile Dysfunction Facts about erectile dysfunction (ED), including causes.
- View All Care Guides Prepare for your next visit with our extensive library of Care Guides
About Dr. Jonathan S Katz
Dr. Jonathan S Katz, MD is a Doctor primarily located in San Francisco, CA. His specialties include Neurology and Psychiatry. Dr. Katz is affiliated with California Pacific Medical Center - California Campus. He speaks English.
Dr. Jonathan S Katz has the following 2 specialties
A neurologist is a physician who diagnoses and treats disorders of the nervous system which is comprised of the brain, spinal cord and nerves. These doctors do not perform surgery, but refer patients to neurological surgeons when they determine that surgical intervention is necessary.
Some of the conditions that neurologists diagnose and treat are epilepsy, aneurysms, hydrocephalus, Parkinson's disease, multiple sclerosis, stroke, spinal disc herniation, and spinal disease.
In addition to using diagnostic tests like MRI, CT scans, EEG and EMG, neurologists also employ neurological testing to gauge muscle strength and movement, balance, reflexes, sensation, memory, speech, and other cognitive abilities.
A psychiatrist is a doctor with specific training in the diagnosis and treatment of mental illness.
He or she can not only provide the counseling necessary to both diagnose and treat a patient, but can also prescribe medication when needed. In some cases, a psychiatrist will only provide the medication and the counseling will be provided by another healthcare specialist, like a certified counselor or psychologist.
Like other doctors, psychiatrists employ diagnostic tools like CT scans and MRI in order to observe the structure and function of a patient's brain.
Once a diagnosis is made, these specialists may use behavior or cognitive therapy in order to address the patient's condition, or a multitude of other types of therapy, in conjunction with or in place of medication.
- Myasthenia Gravis
- Spinal Muscular Atrophy
- Electromyography (EMG)
- Migraine Disorder
- Nerve Conduction Studies
- Alzheimer's Disease
- Multiple Sclerosis (MS)
Showing 5 of 12
After reading some extremely poor reviews on Dr. Katz, I decided to give him the benefit of the doubt and keep my appointment with him. I should have cancelled and sought another doctor. After waiting almost 45 minutes, with a receptionist who clearly needs to retire, my husband and I were put in an exam room no bigger than my hall closet. Dr. Katz came in and looked at my file for a few minutes, then asked me about my mental history. I explained to him that I have bipolar disorder and ptsd. He then asked what caused the ptsd. I explained a traumatic childhood and first marriage. He then asked me about the car accident that caused the injuries resulting in chronic lower back pain and neuropathy. He then told me that all of my "symptoms" were psychological and that if I stopped taking ALL of my meds, including the one for bipolar, and sought a psychiatrist, then my "symptoms would go away. Then, while I was sitting there crying my eyes out, he commented to my husband about the Anaheim Angels cap my husband was wearing. He and my husband engaged in a 15 minute conversation about baseball......BASEBALL!!! I was there to get help because my pain and neuropathy symptoms were getting worse and Dr. Katz seemed like my last hope.......and there he was, after telling me my symptoms were basically in my head, talking to my husband about baseball.......like they were sitting in a bar watching a game. Dr. Katz's bedside manner is atrocious. I have never, ever left a doctor's office in tears and feeling hopeless. I was literally depressed for a week afterward. If you are referred to this doctor, I urge you to seek someone else. I found a second opinion and was told my symptoms were NOT psychological, but that I had degenerative disc disease and a large amount of inflammation around several herniated discs. If Dr. Katz had actually looked at my scans instead of passing judgment based on my mental status, he would have found the true problem to my pain and neuropathy. I honestly will never seek this quack out for any other help.....unless I want to be depressed for a while.
Dr. Katz entered the room and slumped into the chair, as if I was the last thing he wanted to see. When I asked about a certain medication, he made me feel like an idiot for asking. I've got ALS, so the last thing I needed was a doctor with a bad attitude. He apologized, but I would NOT recommend him.
I had seen about five other doctors when I had a problem with my arm, and they couldn't really tell me what was happening. Dr. Katz not only figured it out, but he reassured me I would be OK. He really seemed to care. He's really great if you need to figure out what you have. His staff is great too.
Dr. Katz is affiliated (can practice and admit patients) with the following hospital(s).
- Tulane University School Of Medicine
University Of Washington Medical Center
Dr. Jonathan S Katz accepts the following insurance providers.
- Aetna Choice POS II
- Aetna HMO
- Aetna HMO Deductible Plan CA only
- Aetna Managed Choice POS Open Access
- Aetna Signature Administrators PPO
BCBS Blue Card
- BCBS Blue Card PPO
Blue Cross California
- BC CA California Care Small Group HMO
- Blue Cross CA PPO Prudent Buyer Small Group
- Blue Cross CA California Care Large Group HMO
- Blue Cross CA PPO Prudent Buyer Individual
- Blue Cross CA PPO Prudent Buyer Large Group
- Blue Cross CA Select Plus HMO
Blue Shield California
- BS CA Platinum 90 PPO
- Blue Shield CA Access Plus HMO
- Blue Shield CA Bronze 60 PPO SHOP
- Blue Shield CA Bronze Full PPO 4500
- Blue Shield CA PPO
- Blue Shield CA Platinum Access+ HMO 25
- Blue Shield CA Silver 70 PPO
- CIGNA HMO
- CIGNA Open Access Plus
- CIGNA PPO
- Health Net CA HMO Employer Group
- Health Net CA Individual and Family PPO
- Health Net CA PPO
- Multiplan PPO
- PHCS PPO
- UHC West SignatureValue Alliance
- UHC West SignatureValue HMO
- UHC Choice Plus POS
- UHC Options PPO
- View by Location
Locations & DirectionsForbes Norris Mda Als Research Center, 2324 Sacramento St Ste 150, San Francisco, CA
Take a minute to learn about Dr. Jonathan S Katz in this video.
Dr. Jonathan S Katz is similar to the following 3 Doctors near San Francisco, CA.