Dr. Joseph Caperna Is this you?

4.8

Have you seen Dr. Joseph Caperna?

Outstanding

Posted on December 8th, 2017

Dr. Joe Caperna is great. I wish I had found him as my primary care doctor years ago. He is smart, funny and very dedicated to patient care and humanity in general. His staff is also very nice and responsive .

Posted on March 26th, 2017

Dr. Caperna is one of the most caring, dedicated, loving, and patient doctors I have ever encountered. Patients' care are always his own self interest

Posted on August 16th, 2015

BEST Dr. I have ever been to. Seen him since 2006 and he is amazing!

Posted on February 16th, 2015

Great Primary Care Physician! Most compassionate and caring Doctor I have met and have an honour to know, and have as a doctor.

Posted on January 19th, 2015

I use t be a patient of Dr. Caperna's while he was at The Ownen clinic. I always liked him! Would like to see him again if possible? I live in Long Beach but might be relocating back to San Diego?

Posted on November 8th, 2013

joe caperna is simply the best dr. i have ever had. full stop.

Posted on January 30th, 2013

Dr. Caperna is one of the most compassionate and caring doctors that I have ever met.

I unconditionally recommend Dr. Caperna

Posted on March 2nd, 2012

I have been going to Dr. Caperna "Joe" for over 12 years now. Yes, I have waited sometimes and yes sometimes he has many patients, it's a public clinic after all! However, these issues are NOT his fault, as others here have said, UCSD is to blame here for the poor management of the Owen Clinic in which Dr. Caperna works. However, I must confess that in my opinion, even Owen Clinic is not as bad as it was a few years ago.Once, way back in 2002, I am sure that some of his other patients had to wait while Dr. Caperna saved my life, making sure I was quickly admitted to the hospital and taken care of. So now, I do not mind waiting for him at all. He has always taken whatever time I have needed from him to make sure that all of my questions are answered, my needs are met and my medications are refilled. I have referred several friends to him and they have had very good experiences as well. I've been HIV+ for over 14 years now and for me, there is NO OTHER DOCTOR I would trust with my care, no matter where I may choose to live in this world, Joe will always be my doctor. Clearly, from my interactions with him and my friends interactions with him, he cares first and foremost about his patients! Making money is not even on his radar screen. Furthermore, I greatly admire that he GIVES his time and knowledge to other doctors and patients in Africa, Mexico and elsewhere.

Posted on June 27th, 2011

Without Dr. Caperna's Help I would have died Years ago. He is not condescending when talking to you. he explains things until he knows you understand.

Best doctor I've ever seen

Posted on April 5th, 2011

Reading other comments by patients, I wonder how much responsibility they take for themselves, or realize that doctors at UCSD work in a public health setting, with huge challenges. DR. Caperna provides world class care in a setting with litle support staff. Dr. Caperna saved my life. YEs, I have waited for him. HE cares, he is very thorough and he is worth it.

Recommended highly

Posted on February 4th, 2011

Dr. Caperna is one of the best doctors I've ever seen. He diagnosed my lymphoma after several doctors missed it. UCSD HIV clinic is a public health clinic setting. The doctors are great. I recommend Dr. Caperna to any HIV patient or cancer patient, his specialties.

Mis-Diagnosed

Posted on January 25th, 2011

I was misdiagnosed by Dr. Caperna and left with permanant nuerological damage. He has a very kind bed-side manner, but given his huge case-loads, he is not thorough. He is "harried, hurried and frantic most times I see him. My last visit was conducted by an intern, in which I spent almost 15 minutes going over my "issues". Upon entering my room, Caperna apologized and said he had 3 other patients in other rooms and another waiting in the lobby. He said that the intern had communicated my current physical problems to him. Apparently not very well and much was lost in translation, as I had to reiterate everything, ultimately forgetting some problems as.... at this point I was exhausted. I always end up being horribly depressed after I leave UCSD. Unfortunatly beggers cannot be choosers. I have Medi-Medi and we are considered second class citizens. Not many HIV clinics to chooose from in San Diego.