Get the facts about attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD) in adults, including the different types and symptoms of each.
- Bipolar Disorder Facts about bipolar disorder, including different types and symptoms.
- ADHD Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD), including the different types and who gets them.
- Adult ADHD Facts about attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD) in adults.
- Alzheimer's Disease Facts about Alzheimer’s Disease, including the symptoms and stages.
- Autism Spectrum Disorder Get the facts about Autism Spectrum Disorder (ASD).
- Chronic Pain Facts about chronic pain, including body parts most commonly affected.
- Clinical Depression Clinical depression facts; symptoms & other depressive disorders.
- Depression Facts about depression, including the symptoms of the condition.
- Diabetic Neuropathy Facts about diabetic neuropathy, including the symptoms and doctors.
- Epilepsy Facts about epilepsy, including different types, symptoms and causes.
- View All Care Guides Prepare for your next visit with our extensive library of Care Guides
Dr. Joshua L Straus has the following 2 specialties
A psychiatrist is a doctor with specific training in the diagnosis and treatment of mental illness.
He or she can not only provide the counseling necessary to both diagnose and treat a patient, but can also prescribe medication when needed. In some cases, a psychiatrist will only provide the medication and the counseling will be provided by another healthcare specialist, like a certified counselor or psychologist.
Like other doctors, psychiatrists employ diagnostic tools like CT scans and MRI in order to observe the structure and function of a patient's brain.
Once a diagnosis is made, these specialists may use behavior or cognitive therapy in order to address the patient's condition, or a multitude of other types of therapy, in conjunction with or in place of medication.
A neurologist is a physician who diagnoses and treats disorders of the nervous system which is comprised of the brain, spinal cord and nerves. These doctors do not perform surgery, but refer patients to neurological surgeons when they determine that surgical intervention is necessary.
Some of the conditions that neurologists diagnose and treat are epilepsy, aneurysms, hydrocephalus, Parkinson's disease, multiple sclerosis, stroke, spinal disc herniation, and spinal disease.
In addition to using diagnostic tests like MRI, CT scans, EEG and EMG, neurologists also employ neurological testing to gauge muscle strength and movement, balance, reflexes, sensation, memory, speech, and other cognitive abilities.
Dr. Joshua L Straus has the following 14 expertise
- Rheumatoid Arthritis
- Mental Illness
- Clinical Depression
- Mood Disorders
- Attention-Deficit/Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD)
- Bipolar Disorder
- Sleep Disorders
- Attention Deficit Disorder (ADD) / Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD)
- Depressive Disorder
- Personality Disorder
Dr. Joshua L Straus is Board Certified in 1 specialty
See the board certifications this doctor has received. Board certifications provide confidence that this doctor meets the nationally recognized standards for education, knowledge and experience.
Showing 5 of 25
Excellent. Perhaps best on North Shore.
In the beginning,, and on some occasions, Dr Straus seemed to be a caring doctor. He had ideas about my problems, but unfortunately they were inaccurate, and led to a misdiagnosis the use of medications that made me feel awful. He blamed me for not getting better, and when I called off hours for an emergency (suicidal thoughts) he was not kind at all. He thinks he knows everything about other areas of medicine, which he does, but not to the degree he thinks he does. Even when I reported side effects to medications, he did not believe me. I took myself off the medication in question--and the symptom went away. I left him after a little over a year, and told him about the medication side effect--and he seemed to not be at all interested, even though this is the kind of thing that should be reported to the FDA. Also is very temperamental, and clearly has anger and mood problems of his own. Thank goodness I finally found a caring, well trained doctor who treats me like a human being, and has helped me get WELL. When I told him my (medication) history His first words were, "I don't think you have received good care" . I didn't. He might be fine for very simple problems, but if you are at all a sensitive person---STAY AWAY!
Even though the waiting time is longer with Dr. Straws than w/other psychiatrists, it was definitely worth it. He is one of the best when it comes to diagnosis and treatment. He spent very fair amount with me in his office and didn't seem in rush to see the next patient, like all other do! I would definitely recommend him to others and continue seeing him.
Dr. Straus is affiliated (can practice and admit patients) with the following hospital(s).
28 Years Experience
University Of Chicago Division Of The Biological Sciences The Pritzker School Of Medicine
Graduated in 1990
Medical College Of Wisconsin
Dr. Joshua L Straus accepts the following insurance providers.
BCBS Blue Card
- BCBS Blue Card PPO
- BCBS IL PPO
Coventry Health Care
- Coventry HealthAmerica PPO
- First Health PPO
- HealthLink PPO
- Humana Choice POS
- Humana ChoiceCare Network PPO
- Humana National HMO
- Humana Preferred PPO
- Multiplan PPO
- PHCS PPO
- PriorityHealth Priority PPO
Locations & DirectionsNorth Shore University Health System, 909 Davis St Ste 160, Evanston, IL
Take a minute to learn about Dr. Joshua L Straus in this video.
Dr. Joshua L Straus is similar to the following 3 Doctors near Evanston, IL.