Dr. Joy A Derwenskus Is this you?

Have you seen Dr. Joy A Derwenskus?

Awesome

Let me start by saying when I had my last appointment with Dr. Derwenskus (didn't know at the time that would be my last appointment) she told me she was leaving Northwestern and moving to another state. I literally teared up and cried. She is awesome and made me feel so comfortable with my MS. She took great care of me. She set the bar for me and now every doctor I've seen, they just don't measure up. If I could afford to fly to her for my routine appointments, I would.

Energetic and helpful

Very well trained and pleasant. Taught me much about my problem.

Dr. Derwenskus spent a lot of time getting to know me and my issues. She was very thoughtful and thorough. She also had a great sense of humor which I REALLY appreciated. I was a bit disappointed when I initially made this appointment and was told that the new doctor (Dr. Derwenskus) would be taking care of me. But after meeting her, I am thrilled! As a migraine patient, I sometimes feel marginalized because let's face it, in a neurology office, my issues are relatively minor. However, she made me feel like my issues, although relatively minor, were still important. I highly recommend.

Patient

She had the integrity to tell me the truth at a time when I was having none of it (steroids, CSVI, Bee venom, and various crackpot alternative medicine). She also used her position to get me into world renowned rehab RIC a power-wheelchair and get me the best service possible at NWM. If you are new to MS that may not seem like much but in hindsight she made my life much better. Plus she is fun in an argument.

Dr. Derwenskus is very compassionate and caring. I switched to a dr. nearer to my home as the commute downtown was too much, but was unable to find a dr. as dedicated as her.

I do not recommend this Dr. for anyone who has not been clearly diagnosed with MS. She spent very little time discussing my condition and possible options, and rarely looked up from her computer to talk to me as she was too busy typing most of the time she was assessing me.

I have had MS for 4 years and she has been a compassionate and knowledge source for my medical needs. She spends as much time as my wife or I need to discuss the disease or treatment options. Her office has always been responsive and proactive regarding my treatment needs. Her, her staff and Northwestern Hospital have given me an advantage over this disease. Regardless of the disease, the patient has the responsibility to educate themselves on treatment options.

Staff of the office is very nice and good to follow up with patients and reports, as well as follow through with requests for faxing information. Dr. Derwenskus seems to be very thorough and knowledgeable. She is very willing to go over all reports and follows up on the labs that she orders. Overall very professional manner, yet takes the time to answer any questions. With all hopes she will be able to help diagnosis my husbands condition or direct us to the next appropriate specialist if deemed.

Be careful of drugs this Dr. Prescribes

Dr Derwenskus has a wonderful bedside manner but she is very dependant on drug therapies and unfamiliar with their side effects. She treats symptoms not the patient and I was very unfortunate to be a victim of bad medicating and even worse side effects from the drugs. She is friendly and warm and very compassionate, however she did me a terrible disservice with all the recommended drugs. I had to wean mysef off of them and it was not pretty or easy. Especially the anti-depressant, Lexapro. This drug caused severe weight gain. I was 150 lbs. when I first saw her. Now two years later I am an obese 215 lbs. This is a direct result of Lexpro. (this was told me by a certified dietician) She never told me of the side effects or what to expect. I also suffered severe injection site necrosis and she always told me it was my fault for injecting improperly. Reading the side effects from the drug manufacturer, I learned that injection site necrosis was a side effect of the medication (beta-seron)I have since stopped seeing her as a patient and caution others to do their own homework before takin any medication she prescribes.