Type 2 Diabetes
Type 2 diabetes is a chronic disease in which your body is unable to maintain a normal blood sugar (glucose) level.
- Birth Control Facts about birth control to help decide which type is right for you.
- Type 2 Diabetes Basic facts about type 2 diabetes & risk factors to be aware of.
- Arrhythmia Facts about arrythmia, inclding the types, symptoms and causes.
- Atrial Fibrillation Facts about atrial fibrillation, including symptoms and risk factors.
- COPD Get the facts about chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD), including symptoms and complications.
- Coronary Artery Angioplasty with Stent Coronary artery angioplasty with stent facts, including who needs it.
- Coronary Heart Disease Get the facts about coronary heart disease.
- Deep Vein Thrombosis Facts about deep vein thrombosis (DVT), including symptoms & causes.
- Diabetic Macular Edema Facts about diabetic macular edema, including the different types.
- Erectile Dysfunction Facts about erectile dysfunction (ED), including causes.
- View All Care Guides Prepare for your next visit with our extensive library of Care Guides
Dr. Joy M Gelbman has the following 2 specialties
- Cardiovascular Disease
- Internal Medicine
An internist is a physician who focuses on the diagnosis and treatment of conditions that affect the adult population—both acute and chronic.
These doctors are often who adults see as their primary physicians because they treat a broad range of illnesses that do not require surgical or specialist interventions. They also work to help a patient maintain optimal health in order to prevent the onset of disease.
In addition to treating the common cold and flu, internists also treat chronic diseases like diabetes and heart disease.
Dr. Joy M Gelbman has the following 14 expertise
- Heart Failure
- High Cholesterol
- Unstable Angina
- High Cholesterol (Hypercholesterolemia)
- Acute Coronary Syndrome (ACS)
- Coronary Artery Disease (CAD)
- Heart Attack
- Blood Clot
- Heart Block
- Heart Diseases
Dr. Joy M Gelbman has 2 board certified specialties
See the board certifications this doctor has received. Board certifications provide confidence that this doctor meets the nationally recognized standards for education, knowledge and experience
Dr. Joy M Gelbman is Board Certified in 2 specialties
See the board certifications this doctor has received. Board certifications provide confidence that this doctor meets the nationally recognized standards for education, knowledge and experience.
Showing 5 of 16
Joy is awesome at making me feel comfortable when I am nervous. Joy is an excellent doctor and always treats me with respect. She is funny and can always make me laugh. Joy is very smart and always knows whats wrong.(If there is something wrong.)Joy is a very good doctor and I highly reccomend her to cover your medical needs.:) :D ;o!!!!!!!
I'm sure Dr. Gelbman is somewhat competent - she did, after all, land a position with Weill Cornell. That said, our own experiences with her have been most unfortunate. I believe she may have that ego issue that, while understandable in a cardiologist in general, sometimes puts the patient in a detrimental position. This doctor seems to not be able to say "I can't figure it out, let me ask someone with more experience". We had two separate encounters with her, and both left much to be desired. I also feel her bedside manner is lacking. I would very much recommend getting a second opinion on any and all of her suggestions. She also seems to not be very much into actually reviewing a patient's history. While I understand it must be quite boring, but assume it's part of the job. I didn't leave a negative after our first range of encounters, but after the second I'm convinced it's a pattern. I will llok elsewhere and suggedt you do the same. It almost seems her practice is a hobby. Like needlepoint.
Dr. Gelbman was accurate in cardiac diagnosis and spent time explaining and answering questions, but had no interest in investigating the overall picture associated with the problem to get to the root cause of an admittedly unexpected cardiac issue. Her proposed follow up care was "textbook" and rather rigid for a case that was anything but. Consultation with another cardiologist uncovered an unusual, but not rare, condition known to cause as one of its symptoms continuing and progressively more severe cardiac problems if not addressed. She's fine for those with typical heart disease and no other underlying conditions. The staff was courteous and helpful.
On-Time Doctor Award (2014, 2015)
Vitals On-Time + Promptness Award recognizes doctors with consistent high ratings for timeliness of appointments. The honor is granted based on a physician's overall and promptness scores.
18 Years Experience
Johns Hopkins University School Of Medicine
Graduated in 2000
Cornell University Health Services
Dr. Joy M Gelbman accepts the following insurance providers.
- CIGNA HMO
- CIGNA Open Access Plus
- CIGNA PPO
MVP Health Plan
- MVP Preferred PPO
- UHC Choice Plus POS
- UHC Navigate HMO
- UHC Navigate POS
- UHC Options PPO
Locations & DirectionsWeil Cornell Medical College, 520 E 70th St, New York, NY
Take a minute to learn about Dr. Joy M Gelbman in this video.
Dr. Joy M Gelbman is similar to the following 3 Doctors near New York, NY.