Get the facts about bipolar disorder, including the different types and symptoms of each.
- Bipolar Disorder Facts about bipolar disorder, including different types and symptoms.
- ADHD Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD), including the different types and who gets them.
- Adult ADHD Facts about attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD) in adults.
- Alzheimer's Disease Facts about Alzheimer’s Disease, including the symptoms and stages.
- Autism Spectrum Disorder Get the facts about Autism Spectrum Disorder (ASD).
- Chronic Pain Facts about chronic pain, including body parts most commonly affected.
- Clinical Depression Clinical depression facts; symptoms & other depressive disorders.
- Depression Facts about depression, including the symptoms of the condition.
- Diabetic Neuropathy Facts about diabetic neuropathy, including the symptoms and doctors.
- Epilepsy Facts about epilepsy, including different types, symptoms and causes.
- View All Care Guides Prepare for your next visit with our extensive library of Care Guides
Dr. Julia K Lam has the following 2 specialties
A psychiatrist is a doctor with specific training in the diagnosis and treatment of mental illness.
He or she can not only provide the counseling necessary to both diagnose and treat a patient, but can also prescribe medication when needed. In some cases, a psychiatrist will only provide the medication and the counseling will be provided by another healthcare specialist, like a certified counselor or psychologist.
Like other doctors, psychiatrists employ diagnostic tools like CT scans and MRI in order to observe the structure and function of a patient's brain.
Once a diagnosis is made, these specialists may use behavior or cognitive therapy in order to address the patient's condition, or a multitude of other types of therapy, in conjunction with or in place of medication.
A neurologist is a physician who diagnoses and treats disorders of the nervous system which is comprised of the brain, spinal cord and nerves. These doctors do not perform surgery, but refer patients to neurological surgeons when they determine that surgical intervention is necessary.
Some of the conditions that neurologists diagnose and treat are epilepsy, aneurysms, hydrocephalus, Parkinson's disease, multiple sclerosis, stroke, spinal disc herniation, and spinal disease.
In addition to using diagnostic tests like MRI, CT scans, EEG and EMG, neurologists also employ neurological testing to gauge muscle strength and movement, balance, reflexes, sensation, memory, speech, and other cognitive abilities.
Dr. Julia K Lam has the following 11 expertise
- Mental Illness
- Depressive Disorder
- Sleep Disorders
- Bipolar Disorder
- Attention Deficit Disorder (ADD) / Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD)
- Personality Disorder
- Attention-Deficit/Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD)
- Mood Disorders
Dr. Julia K Lam has 1 board certified specialty
See the board certifications this doctor has received. Board certifications provide confidence that this doctor meets the nationally recognized standards for education, knowledge and experience
Dr. Julia K Lam is Board Certified in 1 specialty
See the board certifications this doctor has received. Board certifications provide confidence that this doctor meets the nationally recognized standards for education, knowledge and experience.
Showing 5 of 14
I'm not sure why the negative reviews. I've seen a number of psychiatrists over the years who were all nuttier than fruitcakes. Dr. Lam is soft-spoken and calm. I never feel judged and she is thoughtful about what she prescribes. I don't believe she has any vested interest in the drug companies but tries to help her patients save money if she has samples or coupons for a med she wants to prescribe. As for her scheduler, I've always found her to be pleasant and get back to me in a day or so.
I went to Dr. Lam for over a year, simply because I needed someone to continue to write my prescription. She is a joke. She is cold, demeaning, unorganized, never remembers who you are and her true purpose seems to be making the prescription companies money. Her office is extremely messy and covered in free prescription trials. She continued to try to push new, expensive medicines on me that didn't work and gave hoorible side effects. Luckily, I know myself and my illness as I have dealt with it for 20 years, and basically I just had to tell her what to do. As for the "receptionist". Where to even start. The other reviewer was kind in there report of her. She doesn't answer the phones, as she explains that she is so busy, she just lets the messages pile up and then returns phone calls. You don't deal with her in person, only over the phone. She is the rudest, most unprofessional person I have ever dealt with in any type of Dr's office, customer service or any other capacity. And I have been a teacher, counselor and worked in office settings with very unruly and immature people. After leaving me a long lecturing demeaning message about how much money I owed them, which was incorrect by several hundred dollars, we then had several horrible phone conversations where she wouldn't let me talk. Very long story short, she made a lot of accusations and said very rude things to me, and then refused to let me speak to her or address any of them. This woman should never be allowed in a job that deals with people. I sure hope she never get a call from someone with a mental illness that is having issues as she could severely damage them. I have actually contacted ethics board about her and Dr. Lam. I really hope that people do their research and find another doctor.
Good Samaritan Hospital
Dr. Julia K Lam accepts the following insurance providers.
BCBS Blue Card
- BCBS Blue Card PPO
Blue Cross California
- Blue Cross CA PPO Prudent Buyer Small Group
- Blue Cross CA Advantage PPO Preferred DirectAccess Plus
- Blue Cross CA PPO Prudent Buyer Individual
- Blue Cross CA PPO Prudent Buyer Large Group
- Blue Cross CA Pathway X PPO
- Blue Cross CA Select PPO
- CIGNA HMO
- CIGNA LocalPlus
- CIGNA Open Access Plus
- CIGNA PPO
- CIGNA Southern CA Value
- Cigna Southern CA Select
- First Health PPO
- Multiplan PPO
- PHCS PPO
Locations & DirectionsFrank M Tan Md & Julia K Lam Md, 1823 Sawtelle Blvd # 6, Los Angeles, CA
Dr. Julia K Lam is similar to the following 3 Doctors near Los Angeles, CA.