Get the facts about birth control so you can decide which type is right for you.
- Birth Control Facts about birth control to help decide which type is right for you.
- Type 2 Diabetes Basic facts about type 2 diabetes & risk factors to be aware of.
- COPD Get the facts about chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD), including symptoms and complications.
- Diabetic Macular Edema Facts about diabetic macular edema, including the different types.
- Flu Facts about influenza (flu), including symptoms and vaccines.
- GERD Get the facts about gastroesophageal reflux disease (GERD).
- HIV/AIDS The differences between HIV & AIDS; signs, symptoms & complications.
- Lupus Get the facts about lupus, including symptoms, risk factors, and the different types.
- Menopause Facts about menopause, including the stages, symptoms, and types.
- Shingles Facts about shingles, including symptoms & possible long-term effects.
- View All Care Guides Prepare for your next visit with our extensive library of Care Guides
About Dr. Kamran N Akhtar MD
Dr. Kamran N Akhtar, MD is a Doctor primarily located in Louisville, KY, with another office in Louisville, KY. He has 27 years of experience. His specialties include Infectious Disease and Internal Medicine. He speaks English.
Dr. Kamran N Akhtar has 2 locations
9720 Park Plaza Ave Unit 104
Louisville, KY 40241
Dr. Kamran N Akhtar has the following 2 specialties
- Infectious Disease
An infectious disease specialist has specialized training in the diagnosis and treatment of contagious diseases.
Infectious diseases, also known as contagious or transmissible diseases, are those that stem from pathogen from a host organism. These infections may spread to other carriers through physical touch, airborne inhalation, bodily fluids or contaminated foods.
Infectious disease specialists identify whether the disease is caused by bacteria, a virus, a fungus or a parasite often through blood tests and then determine what course of treatment, if any, is necessary.
- Internal Medicine
An internist is a physician who focuses on the diagnosis and treatment of conditions that affect the adult population—both acute and chronic.
These doctors are often who adults see as their primary physicians because they treat a broad range of illnesses that do not require surgical or specialist interventions. They also work to help a patient maintain optimal health in order to prevent the onset of disease.
In addition to treating the common cold and flu, internists also treat chronic diseases like diabetes and heart disease.
Dr. Kamran N Akhtar has the following 8 expertise
- Hepatitis C
- AIDS/HIV (Acquired Immunodeficiency Syndrome)
- HIV Infections
- Human Immunodeficiency Virus (HIV/AIDS)
Showing 3 of 3
Self-verified patient of Dr. Kamran N Akhtar - Posted on April 18th, 2018
TERRIBLE BEDSIDE MANNER
Self-verified patient of Dr. Kamran N Akhtar - Posted on August 17th, 2010
We had the most traumatic experience with Dr. Akhtar. We have been known to be friendly and appreciative of all physicians and nursing staff. We have never had a problem with a physician until now. He came into my dad's hospital room for his first visit with my father. Dad cannot hear and left his hearing aid at home because we left very quickly to get to the emergency room. My dad is also easily confused due to 3 prior strokes. Dad could not understand him and was saying ridiculous things in his confusion. My mom started to chime in because my dad kept looking at her for help in answering Dr. Akhtar. Dr. Akhtar reached across the bed and put his hand in mom's face to stop her from talking. Then I tried to say something and he yelled "Will you just be quiet because I am trying to talk to my patient!!" I blew up and he walked out the door and told the nursing staff that he was not treating my dad. From what I gathered he does not usually treat people this way, but no matter how bad my day is at work or home, I could never fathom anyone treating another person this way. I do not know what happened to make him so brash and explosive but I have never seen anything like this behavior in my medical career. I would be immediately fired if I behaved this way. What about these poor people that do not have family to speak up for them. I am scared for them!
Self-verified patient of Dr. Kamran N Akhtar - Posted on August 18th, 2008
27 Years Experience
University Of Kentucky College Of Medicine
Graduated in 1992
University Of Louisville School Of Medicine
Dr. Kamran N Akhtar Accepts the Following Insurance
- Anthem Blue Access PPO
- Anthem Blue Preferred HMO
BCBS Blue Card
- BCBS Blue Card PPO
- BCBS IL PPO
- Ambetter from MHS HIX
- CIGNA HMO
- CIGNA Open Access Plus
- CIGNA PPO
- Humana Choice POS
- Humana ChoiceCare Network PPO
- Multiplan PPO
- PHCS PPO
SIHO Insurance Services
- SIHO Network
- UHC Choice Plus POS
- UHC Navigate HMO
- UHC Navigate POS
- UHC Options PPO
Locations & Directions
Dr. Kamran N Akhtar is similar to the following 4 Doctors near Louisville, KY.