Type 2 Diabetes
Type 2 diabetes is a chronic disease in which your body is unable to maintain a normal blood sugar (glucose) level.
- Birth Control Facts about birth control to help decide which type is right for you.
- Type 2 Diabetes Basic facts about type 2 diabetes & risk factors to be aware of.
- COPD Get the facts about chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD), including symptoms and complications.
- Carpal Tunnel Syndrome Facts about carpal tunnel syndrome, including the causes and symptoms.
- Diabetic Macular Edema Facts about diabetic macular edema, including the different types.
- Fibromyalgia Facts about fibromyalgia, including the symptoms and conditions.
- Flu Facts about influenza (flu), including symptoms and vaccines.
- GERD Get the facts about gastroesophageal reflux disease (GERD).
- Gout Get the facts about gout, including the risk factors.
- Lupus Get the facts about lupus, including symptoms, risk factors, and the different types.
- View All Care Guides Prepare for your next visit with our extensive library of Care Guides
Dr. Karen D Smith has the following 2 specialties
A rheumatologist is a physician who has received extensive training in diagnosing and treating rheumatic conditions. Rheumatic conditions involve the joints, soft tissues, autoimmune system, vascular system, and connective tissues.
Some of the conditions that rheumatologists treat are rheumatoid arthritis, ankylosing spondylitis, gout, sarcoidosis, vasculitis, and lupus. These are all conditions that involve a lot of pain and make mobility difficult. Rheumatologists use medications, such as analgesics, NSAIDs, steroids, DMARDs, infliximab, and adalimumab, as well as occupational therapy, in order to decrease pain and improve a patient's quality of life.
- Internal Medicine
An internist is a physician who focuses on the diagnosis and treatment of conditions that affect the adult population—both acute and chronic.
These doctors are often who adults see as their primary physicians because they treat a broad range of illnesses that do not require surgical or specialist interventions. They also work to help a patient maintain optimal health in order to prevent the onset of disease.
In addition to treating the common cold and flu, internists also treat chronic diseases like diabetes and heart disease.
- Osteoarthritis (Hand and Wrist)
- Rheumatic Diseases
- Rheumatoid Arthritis
- Hip Osteoarthritis
See the board certifications this doctor has received. Board certifications provide confidence that this doctor meets the nationally recognized standards for education, knowledge and experience.
Showing 5 of 42
Karen Smith is only good to you as long as everything goes her way, but once it doesn't , she turn into a MONSTER!!!!! Her staff are just as bad if not worse. I honestly believe that Karen Smith is aware that they treat patients really bad and just stands by it. She dropped me although I was very sick simply because I complained about her staff treatment. They always treated me bad, but their treatment as well as hers got excessively bad once I lost my insurance. I believe that they used any excuse just to get rid of me, even though I was so sick. She knew it would be several months until I was seen by another R.A. Doctor, yet she did not care. She accused me of being abusive to her staff and even wrote a really bad review about me and lied that I had been abusive not only to her but her staff, just so that the next doctor I see could have a bad idea of me already. She is HeartLess!! Her Receptionist is a gatekeeper and you have to go through her before you can get a message to the Doctor, and she does not allow you to communicate with the doctor at all. And that is what I told the Doctor, and she just let me go after that. She told me "I was nothing but trouble." STAY AWAY!!!
This is a horrible horrible place to be seen. Its the office staff that is to blame. First of all there is a mean hateful women who is heavy set that is kinda young who has some kind of power trip personalty that needs to be plain out fired. She also lies if she messes up to keep herself out of trouble. She is uncaring and rude and does not know how to say things in professional way. She denied me seeing Dr. Smith due to her messup on the schdule and tried to lie to cover her mustake i confronted her on. Dr. Smith should replace her and get someone else that cares about how they treat people. That is the 1st step. As far as knowing how Dr. Smith is in her profession inwill never know because of her staff. I am reporting this incident and maybe someone can look into this and report this to the medical facilty at the hospital around which it is located on the other side. I am telling you this receptionst is mean. Good luck if you can get in .
31 Years Experience
Georgetown University School Of Medicine
Graduated in 1987
Thomas Jefferson University Hospital
Dr. Karen D Smith accepts the following insurance providers.
- Aetna Choice POS II
- Aetna HMO
- Aetna Managed Choice POS Open Access
- Aetna Signature Administrators PPO
Ambetter Superior Health Plan
- Ambetter Superior Health Plan
BCBS Blue Card
- BCBS Blue Card PPO
- BCBS TX Blue Advantage HMO
- BCBS TX BlueChoice
- BCBS TX HMO Blue Texas
- CIGNA HMO
- CIGNA Open Access Plus
- CIGNA PPO
- Humana Choice POS
- Humana ChoiceCare Network PPO
- Humana National POS
- Humana Preferred PPO
- Multiplan PPO
- PHCS PPO
- UHC Choice Plus POS
- UHC Navigate HMO
- UHC Navigate POS
- UHC Options PPO
- View by Locationttcqeayetrwczwezdueawsrsbdyr
Locations & DirectionsEastside Rheumatoloy Pllc, 3270 Joe Battle Blvd Ste 185, El Paso, TX
Take a minute to learn about Dr. Karen D Smith in this video.
Dr. Karen D Smith is similar to the following 3 Doctors near El Paso, TX.