Type 2 Diabetes
Type 2 diabetes is a chronic disease in which your body is unable to maintain a normal blood sugar (glucose) level.
- Birth Control Facts about birth control to help decide which type is right for you.
- Type 2 Diabetes Basic facts about type 2 diabetes & risk factors to be aware of.
- COPD Get the facts about chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD), including symptoms and complications.
- Diabetes Diabetes facts and the differences between the different types.
- Diabetic Hyperlipidemia Get all of the facts about diabetic hyperlipidemia.
- Diabetic Macular Edema Facts about diabetic macular edema, including the different types.
- Diabetic Neuropathy Facts about diabetic neuropathy, including the symptoms and doctors.
- Flu Facts about influenza (flu), including symptoms and vaccines.
- GERD Get the facts about gastroesophageal reflux disease (GERD).
- High Blood Pressure Facts about high blood pressure; its causes and complications.
- View All Care Guides Prepare for your next visit with our extensive library of Care Guides
About Karen McCowen
Karen McCowen, MD is a Doctor primarily located in La Jolla, CA, with another office in La Jolla, CA. She has 28 years of experience. Her specialties include Endocrinology, Diabetes and Metabolism and Internal Medicine. Karen McCowen is affiliated with Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center - West Campus, Beverly Hospital and Faulkner Hospital.
Karen McCowen has the following 2 specialties
- Endocrinology, Diabetes and Metabolism
An endocrinologist is a physician with extensive training in understanding, diagnosing and treating conditions related to the endocrine system. The endocrine system regulates the balance of hormones.
Conditions of the endocrine system involve an over-abundance, or deficiency of a certain hormone. While there is a range when it comes to the amount of a hormone that is deemed normal in a human, these specialists determine whether a person's amount of hormone is indicative of a health concern. Two conditions this specialist might treat are diabetes and obesity.
- Internal Medicine
An internist is a physician who focuses on the diagnosis and treatment of conditions that affect the adult population—both acute and chronic.
These doctors are often who adults see as their primary physicians because they treat a broad range of illnesses that do not require surgical or specialist interventions. They also work to help a patient maintain optimal health in order to prevent the onset of disease.
In addition to treating the common cold and flu, internists also treat chronic diseases like diabetes and heart disease.
- Addison Disease
- Adrenal Gland Diseases
- Cushing Disease
- Diabetes (Types I & II)
- Diabetes Mellitus, Type 1
- Diabetes, Type 2
- Gland Issues
- High Blood Pressure (Hypertension)
- Metabolic Bone Diseases
- Parathyroid Diseases
- Pituitary Diseases
- Pregnancy Complications
See the board certifications this doctor has received. Board certifications provide confidence that this doctor meets the nationally recognized standards for education, knowledge and experience.
Showing 5 of 14
Dr. McCowen is hands down the best doctor I have ever seen since I was diagnosed with Type 1 Diabetes 13 years ago. She is extremely nice and makes me feel 100% comfortable during my appointment. Best part is I feel like she really listens to me and cares about my health. I highly recommend her to anyone in San Diego needing a nice and caring endocrinologist!
Although there was a wait to get an appointment, it seemed comparable to any physician.It was apparent that she had reviewed by lab and imaging results faxed by my PCP. Dr. McCowen seemed very thorough in her questioning and in her exam. She took her time and I never felt rushed. She listened to my responses and took every consideration to my physical and emotional well being. I am comfortable I found the right physician for my situation.
I saw Dr. McCowen for years to care for my Type 1 diabetes and eventually my type 1 diabetes during pregnancy. She is a rarity in the current medical climate- she doesn't overbook, takes time, really cares about her patients, and she seems to love her job. I have never felt rushed or like a head of cattle in a queue.
McCowen is affiliated (can practice and admit patients) with the following hospital(s).
Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center - West Campus
Brigham & Women`s Hospital
Beth Israel Deaconess Hospital - Needham Campus, Inc.L CORP
Beverly Hospital-Out Pt
Brigham and Women's Hospital
Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center
Atrius Health Medical Group
28 Years Experience
Universidad Autonoma De Guadalajara
Graduated in 1989
Mt Auburn Hospital
Locations & Directions
Take a minute to learn about Karen McCowen in this video.
Karen McCowen is similar to the following 3 Doctors near La Jolla, CA.