Type 2 Diabetes
Type 2 diabetes is a chronic disease in which your body is unable to maintain a normal blood sugar (glucose) level.
- Birth Control Facts about birth control to help decide which type is right for you.
- Lung Cancer Get lung cancer facts, including risk for developing it.
- Type 2 Diabetes Basic facts about type 2 diabetes & risk factors to be aware of.
- COPD Get the facts about chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD), including symptoms and complications.
- Diabetic Macular Edema Facts about diabetic macular edema, including the different types.
- Flu Facts about influenza (flu), including symptoms and vaccines.
- GERD Get the facts about gastroesophageal reflux disease (GERD).
- Lupus Get the facts about lupus, including symptoms, risk factors, and the different types.
- Menopause Facts about menopause, including the stages, symptoms, and types.
- Ulcerative Colitis Facts about ulcerative colitis, including causes, signs and symptoms.
- View All Care Guides Prepare for your next visit with our extensive library of Care Guides
Book Online Now
Dr. Karl K Johsens has the following 2 specialties
- Hospice and Palliative Medicine
Hospice care & Palliative medicine specialists focus their practice on pain management, symptom relief and qualify-of-life treatments to relieve the suffering of terminally ill patients. These doctors have specialized expertise in the treatment of patients with serious illnesses, advanced diseases and conditions resulting from catastrophic injury. Though often they work within hospice settings, they prevent and alleviate suffering appropriate at any age and stage of disease and can work alongside practitioners providing curative treatments.
Hospice care & Palliative medicine focuses on depression, pain, fatigue, constipation, nausea, shortness of breath, loss of appetite and difficulty sleeping, among other conditions. They also alleviate psychosocial distress and other stressors that accompany terminal illnesses. They are skilled in guiding families through legal and ethical decision-making in end-of-life care and can address spiritual issues at these times. By coordinating care across settings by improving communication among providers, they improve access to information for families so that they understand the patient's condition and treatment options.
- Internal Medicine
An internist is a physician who focuses on the diagnosis and treatment of conditions that affect the adult population—both acute and chronic.
These doctors are often who adults see as their primary physicians because they treat a broad range of illnesses that do not require surgical or specialist interventions. They also work to help a patient maintain optimal health in order to prevent the onset of disease.
In addition to treating the common cold and flu, internists also treat chronic diseases like diabetes and heart disease.
Showing 5 of 11
Karl Johsens is a very good doctor. He has good people skills, is knowledgeable and very professional, and is not condescending in his explanations to me as a layman. Additionally, I have found him to be quite responsive. Have been seeing him as my GP for over 5 years and would give a very strong endorsement. BTW- his referrals have been great as well- he seems to recognize excellence in others that I have seen in him. Anyone whom he has referred me to knows their medicine and has demonstrated the same great bedside manner Johsens shows.
Dr. Johsens bedside manner is kind, caring and informed. He spends as much time as you need during the examination. My husband and I both see him as our PCP and couldn't be happier with our medical care. We have also had opportunity to see a colleague, Dr. Rodems, who is equally professional, patient and well-informed as to the latest in medical research and science. We appreciate having two such wonderful doctors available for our care!
Filling the shoes of Peter Nash' Cedar Clinic may have been tough at first, but after 15 years here, he has moved in quite nicely to that precious & unusual spot that his predecessor had...an old-fashioned, kind, knowledgible family practioner who listens, responds and makes each of his patients feel like his "only patient" when he is with them. Thank you Dr. Johsens!
25 Years Experience
Ohio State University College Of Medicine
Graduated in 1993
Dr. Karl K Johsens accepts the following insurance providers.
- Aetna Choice POS II
- Aetna Managed Choice POS Open Access
- Aetna Signature Administrators PPO
BCBS Blue Card
- BCBS Blue Card PPO
Blue Cross California
- Blue Cross CA PPO Prudent Buyer Small Group
- Blue Cross CA Advantage PPO Preferred DirectAccess Plus
- Blue Cross CA PPO Prudent Buyer Individual
- Blue Cross CA PPO Prudent Buyer Large Group
- Blue Cross CA Pathway X PPO
- Blue Cross CA Select PPO
Blue Shield California
- Blue Shield CA Bronze Full PPO 4500
- Blue Shield CA PPO
- CIGNA Open Access Plus
- CIGNA PPO
- Humana Choice POS
Locations & DirectionsCedar Medical Clinic, 540 Soquel Ave Frnt, Santa Cruz, CA
Dr. Karl K Johsens is similar to the following 3 Doctors near Santa Cruz, CA.