Type 2 Diabetes
Type 2 diabetes is a chronic disease in which your body is unable to maintain a normal blood sugar (glucose) level.
- Birth Control Facts about birth control to help decide which type is right for you.
- Type 2 Diabetes Basic facts about type 2 diabetes & risk factors to be aware of.
- COPD Get the facts about chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD), including symptoms and complications.
- Diabetic Macular Edema Facts about diabetic macular edema, including the different types.
- Flu Facts about influenza (flu), including symptoms and vaccines.
- GERD Get the facts about gastroesophageal reflux disease (GERD).
- Lupus Get the facts about lupus, including symptoms, risk factors, and the different types.
- Menopause Facts about menopause, including the stages, symptoms, and types.
- Ulcerative Colitis Facts about ulcerative colitis, including causes, signs and symptoms.
- View All Care Guides Prepare for your next visit with our extensive library of Care Guides
About Dr. K Mccowen
Dr. K Mccowen, MD is a Doctor primarily located in Gig Harbor, WA, with another office in Tacoma, WA. He has 42 years of experience. His specialties include Internal Medicine. Dr. Mccowen is affiliated with St Francis Community Hospital, St Anthony Hospital and Allenmore Hospital. He speaks English.
Dr. K Mccowen has the following 1 specialty
- Internal Medicine
An internist is a physician who focuses on the diagnosis and treatment of conditions that affect the adult population—both acute and chronic.
These doctors are often who adults see as their primary physicians because they treat a broad range of illnesses that do not require surgical or specialist interventions. They also work to help a patient maintain optimal health in order to prevent the onset of disease.
In addition to treating the common cold and flu, internists also treat chronic diseases like diabetes and heart disease.
- Diabetes Mellitus, Type 1
- Growth Disorders
- Lipid Disorders
- Lipid Metabolism Disorders
- Metabolic Bone Diseases
- Thyroid Diseases
See the board certifications this doctor has received. Board certifications provide confidence that this doctor meets the nationally recognized standards for education, knowledge and experience.
Showing 5 of 13
Best Physician I have ever had. Was very sad to see him retire in 2013 (interesting review from person in 2014!). Best physician I have ever had in my 63 years of age. Very caring, thorough, thoughtful, spot on with diagnosis and love that he treats all of us with respect, supplies us with data we need to make a best decision together for my health.
I've seen Dr McCowan since I was 19 years old. I'm now 35 and had to look for a new Dr as last time I went to visit Dr McCowan, I opened up to him about a previous visit involving one of his nurses and her freaking out and scaring me which actually started giving me anxiety going to Drs. His response: "well, that was a reason to be concerned". While I understand this, his lack of care and empathy is frustrating. His scheduling and front desk staff are horrible. Rude, curt and not helpful. And good luck if you ever need to call in and speak to a nurse. Back in the day, I had a different opinion of Dr Mccowan. He seemed to care, seemed to be through. In the last few years of care I received, I felt like I was more just a paycheck coming in...40 minute wait to see him for a 5 minute appointment and no guidance from MRI results or lab work. And that is another thing - you have to call to get your lab results. They don't mail them or call you or even discuss in appointments since it's usually from 6 months ago. I really felt like Dr McCowan didn't care about me...and he seemed bored in his job and cold.
Dr. Mccowen is affiliated (can practice and admit patients) with the following hospital(s).
St Francis Community Hospital
St Anthony Hospital
Enumclaw Community Hospital
St Joseph Medical Center
Mary Bridge Children's Hospital & Health Center
Saint Clare Hospital
St Francis Hospital
Tacoma General Hospital Multicare
TACOMA GENERAL HOSPITAL & MARY BRIDGE
42 Years Experience
Baylor College of Medicine
Graduated in 1971
Dr. K Mccowen accepts the following insurance providers.
- View by Location
Locations & Directions
Take a minute to learn about Dr. K Mccowen in this video.
Dr. K Mccowen is similar to the following 3 Doctors near Gig Harbor, WA.