Dr. Karla Gayer Is this you?

1.8

Dissatisfied

worst dermatologist ever!

Posted on December 23rd, 2014

Told me that a mole was "fine" but 2 most later it was diagnosed as a melanoma. Given her horrible diagnostic skills coupled with a terrible bedside manner, I strongly urge prospective patients to go just about ANYWHERE else@

Not a doc I would bother to find

Posted on December 15th, 2014

Karla Gayer left GWU in 2014, and I have no idea where she went. And don't care. Making an appointment with her is miserable and it takes months to get a follow-up she requests. When I showed up for one appt., she had gotten busy and refused to see me. That was my last visit. She gave me a very fast look over when I had a patch on my nose. I did get good exams of my back since I had lived at high altitude for many years. Otherwise, nothing much except sh was always reaching for the liquid nitrogen squirt can at $100 a pop. Other than that she's wonderful... Looking for a good dermatologist these days.

Posted on October 15th, 2013

Dr Gayer is polite and seems knowledgeable but she really tries to squeeze in as many patients as she can. The skin check lasted less than 2 minutes. She was reaching for the door knob the entire time I was there. I was in and out in less than 10min. Definitely not a good experience.

Rushed, impersonal, bad experience

Posted on September 9th, 2013

She was rushed and my questions were an inconvenience to her. I waited for 1 hour to get a 4 min, very rushed scan. She was impersonal and didn't ask many questions.

office staff and medical records

Posted on November 20th, 2012

First of all, it is very difficult getting an appointment at this office. Then, after moving away I wanted to transfer my medical records. They charge a flat fee of 25.00 for records over 4 pages. Obtaining the records is even more difficult. They have a form you fax in, okay. But when you attempt to contact someone in medical records, you always have to leave a voicemail and they never call back! As the appointment approached that I needed records for, I called the appointment line as they are the only ones who seem to answer. A woman answered and instead of listening to the problem and trying to suggest another route, she hung up! Unbelievable that they would call themselves professionals. I did call back and another lady answered the phone and gave me the patient liason's phone number. I have left another message and still waiting to hear back.... My advice: avoid this group and the ensuing headache.

Posted on September 14th, 2012

Not as personable as I would have liked - walked through the room door with a resident, although did ask if I minded if he stayed to see what went on (can you say no at this point?). Registration misspelled my name and I had to go back and forth to secure my appointment after I had arrived; the desk staff aren't particularly welcoming. The doctor immediately starting checking my skin without asking how I was doing, what made me want to see a doctor, wanting to learn a little about me, etc. Just in and out. I will probably look for a different dermatologist in the area as this one couldn't be much worse at making you feel uncomfortable.

Stay away -

Posted on May 10th, 2012

Rude. Was reaching for the doorknob the whole time she was there, didn't listen, didn't examine me. I agree with other raters; she was dismissive, disrespectful and does not treat patients as a priority. Terrible experience.

DO NOT VISIT THIS DOCTOR!! Lacks Basic Professional Curtesy and Respect for her Patients!!

Posted on January 21st, 2012

Dr. Gayer's clinic did a reasonable job of scheduling an appointment and getting me into the exam room. Unfortunately, Dr. Gayer is far from a good doctor. Recently, I went in for a check up and the doctor repeatedly talked over me, did not listen to my issues, formed assumptions about my medical history before asking me, and ended up proposing I take an over the counter medication (which I informed her was already not working). She then wrote me a script for a medication that in her words, "your insurance will not cover, but I'm in a hurry, so that will have to do for now." She also said that I should come back in a month and that she would be on vacation so she was not sure if anyone could see me.Overall my experience with Dr. Gayer was horrible!! DO NOT VISIT THIS DOCTOR!! She is unprofessional, unapologetic, disrespectful and her patients are her last priority!!

Horrible, Horrible Staff

Posted on September 29th, 2011

Just to put it simply, the staff there is lazy, unprofessional, and rude. Unless you have a very specific reason for being seen at this practice in general, find somewhere else.

Posted on June 7th, 2011

Dr. Gayer barely spent 7 minutes with me for what was supposed to be a full body mole check and to examine an allergic reaction on my face that had not yet cleared up - I had been in to see the physicians assistant 7 weeks prior for my face and she prescribed a topical that has done nothing. She did not have my chart (I have been to the practice for over 10 years but my doctor left), barely glanced at me, did not check my scalp even though I told her i had several on my scalp - to which she said "yeah but have they changed?" - how would i know, they are on my scalp. THere is a record of them in my chart because my previous doctor used to find each one, examine it and had measured one or two. I have a family history of skin cancer, am extremely fair skinned and have had 7 moles removed in the past, 4 of which came back from the lab as precancerous, and two of which I had to have more of the mole take out after the lab results came back to ensure it was fully removed. All of which would be in my chart - which she didn't bother to look at or didn't have. She completed dismissed my questions about my face and instead just told me that i do a good job of covering it up.

She saved my life

Posted on September 10th, 2010

As others have noticed, her personal manner can be somewhat brusque and distracted. However, I've been a patient of hers for years and have come to see and value her knowledge and thoroughness. Then, she was extremely persistant in forcing me to follow up on a rash that turned out to be a very rare form of cancer. It looked like NOTHING and her medical instinct told her to keep pushing until she figured out what it was.

Overall Opinion

Posted on April 1st, 2010

I hated my doctor visit. She rushes you and gets annoyed if you ask a lot of questions. I had to beg for a prescription.