Type 2 Diabetes
Type 2 diabetes is a chronic disease in which your body is unable to maintain a normal blood sugar (glucose) level.
- Birth Control Facts about birth control to help decide which type is right for you.
- Type 2 Diabetes Basic facts about type 2 diabetes & risk factors to be aware of.
- Arrhythmia Facts about arrythmia, inclding the types, symptoms and causes.
- Atrial Fibrillation Facts about atrial fibrillation, including symptoms and risk factors.
- COPD Get the facts about chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD), including symptoms and complications.
- Coronary Artery Angioplasty with Stent Coronary artery angioplasty with stent facts, including who needs it.
- Coronary Heart Disease Get the facts about coronary heart disease.
- Deep Vein Thrombosis Facts about deep vein thrombosis (DVT), including symptoms & causes.
- Diabetic Macular Edema Facts about diabetic macular edema, including the different types.
- Erectile Dysfunction Facts about erectile dysfunction (ED), including causes.
- View All Care Guides Prepare for your next visit with our extensive library of Care Guides
About Dr. Kenneth Mahrer
Dr. Kenneth Mahrer, MD is a Doctor primarily located in San Francisco, CA. He has 25 years of experience. His specialties include Cardiovascular Disease, Internal Medicine, Interventional Cardiology and Cardiology. Dr. Mahrer is affiliated with Kaiser Permanente San Francisco Medical Center, Kaiser Permanente Medical Center and San Rafael Medical Center. He speaks English.
Dr. Kenneth Mahrer has the following 4 specialties
- Cardiovascular Disease
- Internal Medicine
An internist is a physician who focuses on the diagnosis and treatment of conditions that affect the adult population—both acute and chronic.
These doctors are often who adults see as their primary physicians because they treat a broad range of illnesses that do not require surgical or specialist interventions. They also work to help a patient maintain optimal health in order to prevent the onset of disease.
In addition to treating the common cold and flu, internists also treat chronic diseases like diabetes and heart disease.
- Interventional Cardiology
An interventional cardiologist has the same training as a cardiologist and they're well-versed in all types of heart disease and how to diagnose heart problems. The difference is that interventional cardiologists have additional expertise and training on specific interventional treatments for heart disease, such as angioplasties and stents. These methods use catheterization, which reduces recovery time as well as scarring after surgery.
Cardiologists are doctors who specialize in the diagnosis, prevention and treatment of conditions related to the heart and blood vessels.
A patient may be referred to a cardiologist if he experiences symptoms like chest pains, shortness of breath, dizziness, or high blood pressure. The physician will then evaluate your symptoms, take your health and family history and your weight. The cardiologist may order additional diagnostic tests, such as an echocardiogram, X-ray or blood tests. If necessary, the cardiologist may also call for a cardiac catheterization - a procedure in which a small tube is inserted into or near the heart that can take pictures of the heart's activity, or relieve blockage.
Once determining whether there is a heart condition, a cardiologist will treat a patient through cholesterol management, cardiac rehabilitation, and fitness. If surgical intervention is required, like open-heart surgery, a cardiologist will make that determination, but a cardiothoracic surgeon will perform the procedure.
Dr. Kenneth Mahrer has the following 5 expertise
- Acute Coronary Syndrome (ACS)
- Heart Block
- High Blood Pressure (Hypertension)
- High Cholesterol (Hypercholesterolemia)
- Unstable Angina
Dr. Kenneth Mahrer has 2 board certified specialties
See the board certifications this doctor has received. Board certifications provide confidence that this doctor meets the nationally recognized standards for education, knowledge and experience
Dr. Kenneth Mahrer is Board Certified in 2 specialties
See the board certifications this doctor has received. Board certifications provide confidence that this doctor meets the nationally recognized standards for education, knowledge and experience.
Showing 3 of 3
Thanks to Dr. Mahrer for intervening in a heart attack caused by a blocked stent. Thanks to him I am alive and functioning.
Dr. Mahrer is affiliated (can practice and admit patients) with the following hospital(s).
Kaiser Permanente San Francisco Medical Center
Kaiser Permanente Medical Center
San Rafael Medical Center
Virginia Mason Medical Center
Redwood City Medical Center
Kaiser Foundation Hospital - South San Francisco
Kaiser Foundation Hospital - Redwood City
Kaiser Permanente Medical Center San Rafael
San Francisco Medical Center
25 Years Experience
University of Southern California
Graduated in 1988
Cedars-Sinai Medical Center
Please contact the office for more information.
Locations & DirectionsKaiser Permanente Medical Center, 2350 Geary Blvd, San Francisco, CA
Take a minute to learn about Dr. Kenneth Mahrer in this video.
Dr. Kenneth Mahrer is similar to the following 3 Doctors near San Francisco, CA.