Dr. Kim Burchiel Is this you?

3.6

Have you seen Dr. Kim Burchiel?

Posted on August 4th, 2015

Egotistical, rude, condescending and absolutely no bedside manner.

No Complaints

Posted on July 21st, 2015

Dr. Burchiel and his team performed my MVD surgery at OHSU and it has been a long term success. I have been pain-free for many years. I got along with him fine. He was courteous and took plenty of time to diagnose and explain everything. He's not a "cold doctor" - but just the opposite - friendly and caring.

Posted on May 2nd, 2015

I had two surgeries for Trigiminal Neuralgia one in 1997 and another in 1998. I was pain free until now and it suddenly hit me like a bomb. I have been fortunate enough to be able to get an appointment with Dr. Burchiel within to weeks of calling. I immediately felt comfortable in his presents with regards to discussing my symptoms. Unexpectedly he had me have my pre-op that day and scheduled me for surgery (radiofrequency ablation) in one week. His office is 1 1/2 hours from my home. I really appreciate the promptness of scheduling my surgery. I felt he really understood the pain that I am going thru.

Dr. Burchiel saved my life

Posted on October 4th, 2013

In my opinion Dr Burchiel and his team up at OHSU are outstanding!!! He is very skilled and precise. A straight shooter which what I like in doctors. This was my first major surgery he performed MVD surgery for my Tregeminal Neuralgia I had. I am just over two weeks out from having this surgery and I am feeling great. He has saved my life and has given me the hope for a future with out excruciating pain. I felt that he spent accurate amount of time with me along with his team of Doctors that assist him. I felt very cared for under his supervision and my incision site looks amazing and probably not even noticeable once my hair grows back in. I would absolutely him and his team to any one in the world especially my family and friends to see him. He is extremely skilled, caring, patient, approachable and very talented. Thank you Dr Burchiel you are amazing and I am grateful for you.

Posted on August 8th, 2013

He may not have been the most polite dr that spends time listening, but the brain surgery that he gave me was successful and changed my life. He did an excellent job at what he does, but could use some polite/patient classes. I got what I wanted to happen which is no seizures and that's the bottom line.

Honest & Scientific (i.e. a quality Medical Professional)

Posted on February 6th, 2013

I've never done an online review for a doctor before making at least 5 visits, but I made an exception in this case. Based on my personal experience with Dr. Burchiel, I just can't see why several of the previous patient evaluations are in the average to below average range. He was very honest about what is known about my condition versus what is unknown at this time, and seemed to have a genuine interest in investigating further to find more answers. He also gave a good explanation of the possible risks and rewards for different management strategies. From previous ratings, it appears several patients weren't thrilled with his bedside manner, but I thought he was excellent. He spoke to me in a scientific/investigative (sort of like a detective) tone and refrained from displaying positive or negative emotions. I would think that this is a characteristic that every patient would want to see in their doctor; someone who sticks to the facts and uses the visitation time as efficiently as possible in an attempt to move towards a proper diagnosis. Dr. Burchiel also spent a significant amount of time with me in order to perform physical assessments, ask about my symptoms, review MRIs and other test results, answer questions, and give recommendations.

Posted on November 5th, 2012

Very poor communicator and listener. Arrogant tool. Technically, very good by reputation, but in all other respects the worst I've ever seen

Worst Dr I've ever had and do not recommend him to anyone!

Posted on July 30th, 2012

Overall expeience the 2 times I did go see him was not a very pleasant experience. the first time I waited for over an hour to see him, once I was able to get a room it took about another hour for him to come in however he first sent in one the interns. Once I was done with the intern eventually the Dr came in and gave me a diagnosis which no one has ever heard of which was ok with me and gave me what little options there are for treating what I have however the majority of the visit with him was him telling me how he is the only specialist in the entire world and he is the top speicialist as well which is why he is the only one who trains others from all over the world. I did go back a second time as the other side of my head was having same symptoms as the first. I waited for 2 hrs before I got a room, waited another hour for not the Dr to see me but an intern who did not understand what I was telling him. The issue I was now having was on the right side of my head and all the intern would say was we know about your left side and there is nothing we can do. He then left the room for 45 minutes and when he came back in he had food all over his face and told me I needed to see a pain specialist since I'm still having issues with the left side. I again repeated I know about the left side and I'm here for the right side and wanted to see the Dr at which point I was told he's too busy to see me and they are sending a referral to my primary for pain management. I would not recommend Dr Burchiel to anyone since the one visit was mostly about him and not what was going on with me and the second visit appointment was set up with him and all I got was an intern who did not speak or understand English very well. I left the office both time crying. To this day I still suffer from the pain of not just the left side which I expect due to the diagnosis I got (extreme nerve damage due to multiple surgeries)but suffer from pain (almost same symptoms as the left) and this issue was not addressed and I was told the Dr (who I had the appointment with) had no time to see me. I'm sure he is a great Dr and has helped many people however in my opinion he should not be in the field of medicine as he is not really there for the people but to remind people how great he is when/if you can see him. He was not only rude to my but also my husband who was with me and would not answer any of our questions we had because he did not have time, well the way he acted was he had no time, to even see us. I hear people say they have an appointment with him all the time and I do not tell people my experience but I do tell them I do not recommend him for anything no matter how great he thinks he is. I wasn't there for more medications or pain medications, I was there to find out what was wrong with me and I was treated as if I was dirt on his shoes. If he had treated me as a human then I know I would think highly of him but what scares me the most is he is training others who have obviously picked up his attitude that patients are not humans and therefor should not be treated as such. I have always heard how OHSU are and because of this one experience I will never go to any Dr associated with OHSU and I will never let any of my family or friends go either. It's a shame the Dr's do not read these reviews though I'm sure with Burchiel he would not even care what people thought of him because in his words "he's the only Dr in the world who could diagnose and treat people with these kinds of issues and because of this no one else is even remotely qualified".

biggest issue when residents in charge

Posted on October 24th, 2011

Mysterious priorities

Posted on October 4th, 2011

Competent and Caring

Posted on May 7th, 2011

Establised excellent rapport, gave meaningful and comprehensive explanations in easy to understand terms, gave all the options and risks associated with each. Follow up by doctor and staff was excellent with little wait. Great experience with a fine physician and his staff.

Stay Away!!!

Posted on May 5th, 2011

This guy is terrible! Treats people like garbage. I would not even recommend him to my worst enemy. Stay away! Wish I would have never let him operate on me.