Dr. Kristoffer M Breien Is this you?

Have you seen Dr. Kristoffer M Breien?

Sees the big picture

I saw Dr. Breien for severe arthritis in both knees. I'm in my early 40s and other surgeons told me I needed two total knee replacements and that they wouldn't try any other treatment for my knees given their poor condition. I was unhappy because, given my age, I would almost definitely outlive the replacements and need revision surgery, which is messy and has a poor success rate.I saw Dr. Breien and he did an excellent job explaining my situation and all of my options. I didn't get the feeling he just wanted to rush me into surgery to make a bunch of money, but cared about helping me make the best decisions possible given my age and circumstances. He put together a treatment plan, told me where I could go to get more information about proposed treatments (e.g., synvisc injections, lateral release surgery), and immediately started treatment to help relieve pain in my knees. He was very understanding about the level of pain I live with and concerned about finding a way to help me, keeping knee replacement surgery as an option, but one we would use only if other options didn't work. I'd definitely recommend seeing Dr. Breien for a consultation if you may need knee surgery for arthritis.

Not a good experience

The minimum wait for each of my 3 morning appointments was 1 hour, maximum wait was 1-1/2 hours. Initial exam seemed fine. At my follow-up appts., he didn't appear to have looked at my file at all. He started examining the wrong knee, didn't know what pain medication I was on despite his prescribing one, didn't know my physical therapy progress despite prescribing it and having notes available from the PT practitioner, didn't follow up with me about the brace he prescribed. Overall, very frustrating and unimpressive. I will not see him again or recommend him to others.