Get the facts about bipolar disorder, including the different types and symptoms of each.
- Bipolar Disorder Facts about bipolar disorder, including different types and symptoms.
- Type 2 Diabetes Basic facts about type 2 diabetes & risk factors to be aware of.
- ADHD Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD), including the different types and who gets them.
- Acne Important facts about acne and what causes it.
- Adult ADHD Facts about attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD) in adults.
- Asthma More than 22 million Americans suffer from asthma. Get the facts.
- Clinical Depression Clinical depression facts; symptoms & other depressive disorders.
- Depression Facts about depression, including the symptoms of the condition.
- Epilepsy Facts about epilepsy, including different types, symptoms and causes.
- Erectile Dysfunction Facts about erectile dysfunction (ED), including causes.
- View All Care Guides Prepare for your next visit with our extensive library of Care Guides
Dr. Laura S Mcmahon has the following 3 specialties
- Child & Adolescent Psychiatry
- Adolescent Medicine
Adolescent specialists are doctors who have advanced training in the health issues that adolescents face. These physicians deal with issues like the onset of puberty, reproductive health, eating disorders, irregular periods, mood changes, drugs and pressures from home and school. For girls entering adulthood, adolescent specialists can act as both pediatrician and gynecologist, so they only have to see one doctor for all their needs.
A psychiatrist is a doctor with specific training in the diagnosis and treatment of mental illness.
He or she can not only provide the counseling necessary to both diagnose and treat a patient, but can also prescribe medication when needed. In some cases, a psychiatrist will only provide the medication and the counseling will be provided by another healthcare specialist, like a certified counselor or psychologist.
Like other doctors, psychiatrists employ diagnostic tools like CT scans and MRI in order to observe the structure and function of a patient's brain.
Once a diagnosis is made, these specialists may use behavior or cognitive therapy in order to address the patient's condition, or a multitude of other types of therapy, in conjunction with or in place of medication.
Dr. Laura S Mcmahon has the following 12 expertise
- Attention Deficit Disorder (ADD) / Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD)
- Sleep Disorders
- Binge Eating Disorder
- Eating Disorders
- Birth Control
- Sexually Transmitted Diseases
- Substance Abuse
- Depressive Disorder
Dr. Laura S Mcmahon has 2 board certified specialties
See the board certifications this doctor has received. Board certifications provide confidence that this doctor meets the nationally recognized standards for education, knowledge and experience
Dr. Laura S Mcmahon is Board Certified in 2 specialties
See the board certifications this doctor has received. Board certifications provide confidence that this doctor meets the nationally recognized standards for education, knowledge and experience.
Showing 5 of 34
As a colleague in the mental health field looking for a psychiatric referral for a patient, I was extremely disappointed in Dr. McMahon's treatment. She was rude, unprofessional, impatient and inappropriate in her comments about a troubled person in addition to misdiagnosing the person. I am not sure if that was "a bad day" for this doctor but I would not take my chances again.
This doctor is now on staff at an in patient adolescent treatment facility in upstate New York. She not only misdiagnosed my 11 year old daughter and put her on antipsychotic medications she didn't need, she over medicated her to the point where I feared for my daughter's safety. Dr. McMahon completely disregarded the fact that I continued to voice concerns over the treatment and the quick increases and dosages of medications. And although I verbally objected, she continued with dosage increases. Dr. McMahon has no time for parental concerns or parental insights on their own children.
I have had nothing but great experiences with Dr. McMahon in the 3 years that I have been seeing her. She is extremely prompt with appointments, full of knowledge and suggestions, and I have never felt rushed or put off. She always has time to answer any questions I have. Dr. Mc Mahon goes out of her way to make herself available to her patients and answers her calls promptly. Her staff is also very helpful, I have never found them to be anything but kind and professional.
21 Years Experience
Wayne State University School Of Medicine
Graduated in 1997
University Of Chicago
Dr. Laura S Mcmahon accepts the following insurance providers.
- CIGNA Open Access Plus
- CIGNA PPO
Locations & DirectionsFour Winds-Saratoga, 30 Crescent Ave, Saratoga Springs, NY
Dr. Laura S Mcmahon is similar to the following 3 Doctors near Saratoga Springs, NY.