Type 2 Diabetes
Type 2 diabetes is a chronic disease in which your body is unable to maintain a normal blood sugar (glucose) level.
- Birth Control Facts about birth control to help decide which type is right for you.
- Type 2 Diabetes Basic facts about type 2 diabetes & risk factors to be aware of.
- Arrhythmia Facts about arrythmia, inclding the types, symptoms and causes.
- Atrial Fibrillation Facts about atrial fibrillation, including symptoms and risk factors.
- COPD Get the facts about chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD), including symptoms and complications.
- Coronary Artery Angioplasty with Stent Coronary artery angioplasty with stent facts, including who needs it.
- Coronary Heart Disease Get the facts about coronary heart disease.
- Deep Vein Thrombosis Facts about deep vein thrombosis (DVT), including symptoms & causes.
- Diabetic Macular Edema Facts about diabetic macular edema, including the different types.
- Erectile Dysfunction Facts about erectile dysfunction (ED), including causes.
- View All Care Guides Prepare for your next visit with our extensive library of Care Guides
Dr. Lester S Shoap has the following 2 specialties
- Internal Medicine
An internist is a physician who focuses on the diagnosis and treatment of conditions that affect the adult population—both acute and chronic.
These doctors are often who adults see as their primary physicians because they treat a broad range of illnesses that do not require surgical or specialist interventions. They also work to help a patient maintain optimal health in order to prevent the onset of disease.
In addition to treating the common cold and flu, internists also treat chronic diseases like diabetes and heart disease.
- Cardiovascular Disease
- Heart Diseases
- Heart Attack
- High Cholesterol
- Heart Failure
- Blood Clot
- High Blood Pressure (Hypertension)
- Heart Block
- Acute Coronary Syndrome (ACS)
- Unstable Angina
- High Cholesterol (Hypercholesterolemia)
Showing 5 of 26
I've been a patient of this wonderful doctor for over 20 yrs. He was also my mother's primary and cardiologist for many yrs before she passed away. He is a top notch primary doctor and cardiologist who he truly cares about each and every patient as a person! He's kind, extremely compassionate and will spend as much time as you and he need together during your visit without ever making you feel he is in a rush. I believe it was because of him that my mother did not die at least 2 yrs sooner from her heart, lung and other medical problems. On 2 separate occasions I was in the hospital over the weekend where one of his associates was covering for him. I was told that Dr. Shoap was following what was going on with me from his home and to make sure the right decisions were being for my care and treatment. He is such a great doctor in every way that even though I now live in Western Massachusetts (a 1 1/2 hr drive to his Stoneham, Ma office) I have kept him as my doctor! I can not say enough about this wonderful doctor other then to say I've had a serious chronic illness for 32+ yrs and have dealt with many, many doctors. Many were just average (or much worse), a few were very good but in all my yrs I've only come across 3 that were incredible and Dr. Shoap is one of them. The difference between him and many highly other skilled doctors is how he becomes personally involved and really cares about his patients. He has a fantastic bed side manner that goes a long way to help make a nervous or very scared patient relax and feel truly cared for!
Dr. Shoap is a treasure: smart, concerned, empathic.I am mid treatment for atrial fibrillation and elevated heart rate assoc w/ weight. He speaks directly to the point and patiently re explains things that you didn't understand. And he has chosen the others in his practice to have those strengths as well. I feel very fortunate to have him guiding my care.
Dr. Shoap has shown little to no concern for my moms health. She has had a reaction to a medication and after 4 days and several phone calls where several messages were left with secretaries, personal voice mail, paitent voice mail and answering services, my phone calls were never returned. All I was asking for was 10 minutes of the doctors time. I consider this unacceptable behavior for a physician. I would never recommend Dr. Shoap.
Patients' Choice Award (2016, 2014, 2013)
Patients' Choice recognition reflects the difference a particular physician has made in the lives of his/her patients. The honor is bestowed to physicians who have received near perfect scores, as voted by patients.
Compassionate Doctor Recognition (2015, 2014)
Compassionate Doctor certification is granted to physicians who treat their patients with the utmost kindness. The honor is granted based on a physician's overall and bedside manner scores.
Dr. Shoap is affiliated (can practice and admit patients) with the following hospital(s).
44 Years Experience
Temple University School Of Medicine
Graduated in 1974
George Washington University Hospital
Dr. Lester S Shoap accepts the following insurance providers.
- Aetna Choice POS II
- Aetna HMO
- Aetna Managed Choice POS Open Access
- Aetna Signature Administrators PPO
BCBS Blue Card
- BCBS Blue Card PPO
- BCBS MA Blue Care Elect PPO
- BCBS MA HMO Blue with Managed Care Behavioral Health
- BCBS MA Preferred Blue PPO
- CIGNA HMO
- CIGNA LocalPlus
- CIGNA Open Access Plus
- CIGNA PPO
- First Health PPO
- Harvard Pilgrim ChoiceNet HMO
- Harvard Pilgrim HMO
- Harvard Pilgrim PPO
- Humana Choice POS
- Humana ChoiceCare Network PPO
Tufts Health Plan
- Tufts Granite Advantage EPO, PPO and Saver
- Tufts PPO
- UHC Choice Plus POS
- UHC Navigate HMO
- UHC Navigate POS
- UHC Options PPO
- View by Location
Locations & DirectionsNorth Suburban Cardiology, 3 Woodland Rd Ste 422, Stoneham, MA
Take a minute to learn about Dr. Lester S Shoap in this video.
Dr. Lester S Shoap is similar to the following 3 Doctors near Stoneham, MA.