Dr. Lew Schon Is this you?

Have you seen Dr. Lew Schon?

Happy Feet!

Posted on October 24th, 2017

Re: Foot Surgeon and Professor of Orthopaedics, LEW SCHON, M.D. Baltimore, Md. Riddled with arthritis and having had hand surgery, spine surgery for multi-level degenerative disc disease, knee arthroscopy, hip replacement, and now badly in need of a knee replacement, my knee surgeon told me that since I had been falling on the street — tripping on nothing — the foot, with myriad problems on the same side as the knee had to be stabilized before the knee replacement could be attempted. The NY knew surgeon sent me to a foot colleague at the Hospital for Special Surgery, but he was not my cup of tea. The procedure he suggested sounded like I would be a guinea pig for a study he was doing in distraction arthroscopy which hopefully would stretch the joints, encourage cartilage to grow and thus heal! It was both impractical for any kind of active person (5 months in a stretching foot cage and might require repeating. Knowing that might was an absolute definite, I was not interested in the only option he gave besides ankle replacement (only in its infancy at the time). I consulted another foot specialist who treated a lot of professional ballet dancers whose feet suffered constant and serious abuse. He asked me “if I would travel” he knew and could whole-heartedly endorse the work of a very creative surgeon in Baltimore who specialized in complicated cases: I had such a foot: overstretched tendons, 2 ripped cartilage bands from old sports injuries and lots of arthritis. I was interested in the secession of pain, mobility and safety. When one foot surgeon sends you to another foot surgeon — you listen! I went down from New York City to Baltimore for a consult and found not my cup of tea, but a dish of ice cream! And a Mensch! Dr.Schon explained everything. He looked at my knee xrays and took xrays of both feet to get a full picture of my situation. Told me the recuperation was long and arduous - no weight bearing for 12 weeks. He said he would fuse my ankle and my big toe - all the joints of which were very rough and thus the instability I experienced. After the surgery, the joints would not move. No move, no pain. Without hesitation, I scheduled a date to get the various aspects of my foot fused. He said I could have my post-op care in New York City so as not to make the trip. I would have none of that! I wanted him to do the follow-up care. 10 hours of driving was a small price to pay to have the Master do the follow-up. I would’t let anybody touch my other foot (or my husband’s or my cat’s feet) except him! Highly recommended for all aspects of the diagnosis, choice of procedure (which can change once he sees the foot on the inside) and execution of surgical procedure and follow up. PS 2 orthopaedic surgeon friends of mine did not believe the range of motion I had in my “fused" foot! They even suggested I had it wrong; that it was not fused! My hand surgeon took pictures of the foot and of course, it was, but a sub-talar fusion which allowed much more motion (and thus safety as I aged) than the “stiffer” normal ankle fusion. Susan Barron, former Office Manager for two orthopaedic surgeons (Chicago), Emergency Department Laboratory Coordinator, University of Cologne Medical Center, Germany and now-retired Clinical Research Supervisor, Surgical ICU, Mt. Sinai Hospital.

Ankle pain

Posted on October 15th, 2017

Great doctor great bedside manner.

Favorite doctor

Posted on September 28th, 2017

Dr. Lew Schon is a skilled surgeon who has performed an ankle fusion on me. He shows he really cares and loves what he does and wants to do the best job possible to correct the problem. He did that for me and still shows concern for my progress as I age. He's warm and friendly as well as being extremely thorough. He impresses me with all these good qualities. I just found out he has musical talent and performs and that only makes him more unique as a human being.

Dr Lew Saved My Life‼️

Posted on September 25th, 2017

Dr Lew Schon is simply the smartest and most passionate doctor I have ever known. I count myself among the most grateful of his scores of grateful patients since he literally saved my foot, ankle and leg, and gave me back my ability to walk! He gave me back my life when it appeared I'd be totally disabled for life without use of my right foot and leg. I was referred to Dr Lew 2 years after surgery for major dislocated ankle and foot bones from a bad car crash. My NYC surgeon who treated me during those 2 years declared there was nothing else that could be done for me, even tho I still could not walk and was seriously in danger of loosing my foot. Within 5 minutes of reviewing my MRI that I brought with me from NYC - the same MRI that my NYC surgeon based her opinion on - Dr Lew saw a way to restore my foot function. Dr Lew performed corrective surgery to undo the damage resulting from my prior surgery, and to craft a new creative mechanism with my tendons and bones (and miraculously no hardware!) to restore foot function to a high degree! I am grateful every day that I was brought to Dr Lew! That surgery 11 years ago restored my mobility! I see Dr Lew regularly for check ups and to learn what he is working on in his amazing biotech lab that may be available to improve my function as I age. Dr Lew always greets me (and every other patient I see him with) with his usual good humor, big smile, bow tie and undying commitment to keep me mobile and improve my condition. I am proud to join other grateful patients in fundraising for Dr Lew's amazing biotech lab that seeks innovative cutting-edge solutions for people who have lost mobility due to diabetes, accidents, sports and dance injuries, arthritis and many other unfortunate situations. I am even prouder to write this review of Dr Lew's extraordinary work that has restored me to living with a relatively modest inconvenience rather than zero mobility and total disability. Thank you Dr Lew‼️

Posted on September 24th, 2017

My brother's experience with Dr. Schon was just short of miraculous so when I tweaked (a professional athlete's word for an injury that keeps them from playing for any period of time) my ankle, I rode in a car for 20 hours straight with my foot in a bucket of ice to make sure I could get the best advice on the planet. Dr. Schon took me through my MRI like we were in a study group cramming for our medical boards. I ask a lot of questions, I want the details and I am a bit intense. I followed every step of his plan and his treatment was perfect. He actually got me to relax a bit with his wonderful bedside manner. Thank you so much Dr. Schon!!!

This Doctor is a Miracle Maker

Posted on September 24th, 2017

I could hardly walk. Not only did Dr. Schon diagnose my foot problem perfectly, prescribe the right treatment and apparatuses ( one of which Dr. Schon created himself), but he did not sugar coat my prognosis and told me truly how long it will take to recover. This doctor is a genius and I would not only highly recommend Dr. Schon for any foot injury, but will tell you that he is kind, thorough and brilliant as well as a miracle maker!!!

Exceptional Physician!

Posted on September 24th, 2017

Dr. Schon has performed multiple, successful surgeries on my ankle and has helped me to avoid surgeries on my other one! He deeply cares about his patients and is committed to training the next generation of top notch orthopedic surgeons. After two major ankle surgeries, I never thought I would play rugby again. However, after Dr. Schon's excellent surgical technique and expertise, I am now playing in the Women's Premier League and I couldn't be more grateful!

Most amazing foot & ankle surgeon out there

Posted on September 24th, 2017

Incredibly knowledge and compassionate, you can't find a better expert. Best ever.

Exceptional Physician

Posted on September 24th, 2017

Dr. Schon performed several unique and difficult surgeries on my wife's feet (successfully). He was an amazing communicator who took the time and interest to fully explain everything about the surgery. He is passionate about his craft. Truly an amazing physician.

Karen Koch CRNA

Posted on September 23rd, 2017

I would like to say in public what I have always said in private. I have had the privilege of working with Dr. Schon for over 25 years. I have never met a more diligent, conscientious & devoted physician. Each patient is a priority. Each patient is an individual. His care & concern will hopefully persist as a role model as we are continuously maintaining the focus on the individual patient and optimizing their outcome.

Speedy Recovery Time After Surgery

Posted on September 23rd, 2017

I experienced pain in my Achilles Tendon for the last few years. After having an Achilles’ tendon reattachment surgey by Dr. Lew Schon, I was back to my normal soccer refereeing within only a few months! I was expecting to be handicapped by this surgery for the entire year, but Dr. Lew Schon worked his magic for sure. Highly recommend Dr. Schon to all friends and family that are having any foot and ankle issues. He is the doctor to see!!

Happy Patient

Posted on September 23rd, 2017

Nine years ago I had an unremitting foot infection. Four doctors in South Florida all said my only choice was amputation. I heard of Dr. Schon and came to Baltimore where he successfully operated to save my foot. I was very impressed with his care, expertise and professionalism, and he has been there for me ever since. I highly recommend him.